Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Why did you choose your avatar?

BrugseB

BrugseB

Vehicle
T4 Hightop
From a remote position you directed me across that pass. The Blofeldesque power you felt caused you to change your avatar from the selfie you previously used to the Bond villain.

Ah, sometimes referring to old posts rings a bell (as someone already stated today); so that was you Tom on that Farewell Tour I used to follow on Wordpress :cheers

pjm-84

pjm-84

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I don't do pictures and had this to hand. Just checked my phone / 95% are of my dogs.

I have 4 pictures of me out of around 2000 shots. 3 are of me doing a selfie with my old dog who was having a jutting lip moment, with me trying to emulate him.

oryx white

oryx white

Travelling hopefully
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Because I wanted to know what an Oryx was (as opposed to Onyx, which it ain't)

Ricotansky

Ricotansky

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Mine didn't have much thought put into it other than I wanted a picture of the van and not my ugly mug!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Karlos

Karlos

VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
Mines from the dealers before the reg plates were added and everything was still covered in plastic wrappers the day we said yes, then cycled along the Mersey for a pint sat there in stunned silence both thinking did we really just spend that much.

WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Where is this?
Knordkapp. End of the road in Norway. Furthest North you can drive in the EU/Europe.

Amarillo

Amarillo

Tom
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Knordkapp. End of the road in Norway. Furthest North you can drive in the EU/Europe.

Several accuracy issues with that final sentence @WelshGas

You can drive further north in Europe, you just need to get a ferry there if travelling from continental Europe.

Norway is not in the EU, so neither is Nordkapp. The most northerly point of the continental EU is In the middle of the Karasjohka River, about 2km east of the Finnish community at Nuorgam. If I recall correctly there are some Danish dependent islands further north that that.

And just for completeness, Nordkapp is on an island, so not part of continental Europe.

Does this definition work?
“Nordkapp is the northernmost point in Europe that can be accessed by car from the Eurasian continent.”

It’s a remote tourist trap.

WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Several accuracy issues with that final sentence @WelshGas

You can drive further north in Europe, you just need to get a ferry there if travelling from continental Europe.

Norway is not in the EU, so neither is Nordkapp. The most northerly point of the continental EU is In the middle of the Karasjohka River, about 2km east of the Finnish community at Nuorgam. If I recall correctly there are some Danish dependent islands further north that that.

And just for completeness, Nordkapp is on an island, so not part of continental Europe.

Does this definition work?
“Nordkapp is the northernmost point in Europe that can be accessed by car from the Eurasian continent.”

It’s a remote tourist trap.
Seeing as I didn’t wish to go on a ferry, it was the furthest most point I could drive to. I didn’t cross over any water to get there. Norway is part of the EU Schengen area so as far as I am concerned part of the EU, and by the way I did state EU/Europe and as my California is not amphibious I wasn’t aware of a road to the middle of the Karasjohka River that I could have driven.
As far as “ a tourist trap “ that is your opinion. Myself , I found it very interesting especially the history,

In 1553 an expedition of three ships sailed from England in search of the Northeastern Passage. Two of the ships never returned home. The third ship with Richard Chancellor as commander passed a mighty mountain plateau and gave it the name Nordkapp. Over a century later the Italian priest Francesco Negri arrived at the same cliff. He is considered the first tourist to Nordkapp, and describes it as the end of the known world. It took another two hundred years before tourism to Nordkapp established. In 1873 the union king Oscar climbed the steep cliff of Nordkapp. This visit sparked great interest around the world, and just two years later the first group of travelers on a cruise arrived. The journey to the far north was a great achievement and was celebrated with a glass of Champagne - a tradition still kept alive at Nordkapp.

Finally, I found the Thai Museum , next to the St Johns Chapel extremely interesting.

gvick

gvick

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 199 4 motion
Van is named after my Gran - Polly and we are originally from Birmingham so a cheeky peeky blinders reference.
The picture is of my dog Barney and he’s the reason we are traveling in a Cali rather than a yacht - he is a working Golden retriever like Nigel and Nelly on Gardeners World. :thumb

Last edited:
LowMan

LowMan

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Because I'm a vinyl junkie. Been using our California touring up and down the country, exploring record fairs, record auctions etc. since we got hold of her. Thought I should add the VW overlay to make it fit with the forum a little. I am yet to discover that rare VW album release :)x