Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Why I decided NOT to wait for the GC

Been following your posts re your new BoxDrive purchase as we are considering one ourselves. Have you taken delivery yet and what are your first impressions? Looking forward to hearing more of your views and experiences before we make our decision.

Im very pleased with mine. I have provided a bit of a write up in this thread. The base van is very nice, mine is the 177hp Auto. The build quality is excellent. Looking at the cost of the GC, the Boxdrive seems an absolute bargain! And I doubt the build will be any better in the GC.

When I decided this was the vehicle for me, I wrote to all the dealers in the uk, Don Amott in Derby offered the best deal by miles, I got approx 4K off. Mine cost 62k with a healthy amount of options.

If I was to spec the van again, I would take the electric step, it’s a bit of a big step up for the wife, and probably the electric sliding door, as it is a bit of a slam to close it.

The down side, it took approx 11 months to arrive, that’s not unusual for a premium motorhome / camper, the problem was I was quoted 6 months, and the updates to the delays were very patchy and in the end became very frustrating. Build in your head a 12 months lead time. I am still waiting for cab carpets and wheel trims for my steel wheels two month after delivery. I can’t sell my steels and tyres until I get the trims. Knaus make a great product, but the customer service is poor at best!

Thanks for your honest and frank assessment of your purchase, it’s really helpful. Have been wondering about the electric step, so useful to hear that you would spec it if doing it again. I can tell that overall you’re very pleased with the product, but we have been concerned about the apparent lack of customer support from Knaus and the very long lead time, so still undecided ourselves. Not even sure if itscalledbob has got his vehicle yet?

Been following your posts re your new BoxDrive purchase as we are considering one ourselves. Have you taken delivery yet and what are your first impressions? Looking forward to hearing more of your views and experiences before we make our decision.
Well, as we speak I’ve made a complaint to the UK importer. Frankly it’s been nothing but problems and delays. I’ve had to find out most information from third parties and I’m being expected to pay for things not fitted to the vehicle?! Items shown on the show vehicles and not listed as extras are not fitted. After initially being told a delivery of end of July I’m still waiting. Knaus can’t even tell me what alarms fitted and expect me to contact VW Germany! Even the vehicle instructions booklet is in German!! When you point out the problems Knaus seem to shrug their shoulders. The vehicle is in England but because of paperwork delays I’m still waiting for registration. Frankly I’ve had enough. I’m awaiting a response. Will keep you posted.

Oh dear that doesn’t sound very good at all. Sorry to hear that having been so enthusiastic at the start and waiting all year for delivery, your expectations are still unmet and you’re left waiting still. Are you now looking again at other alternatives or are you still committed to the BoxDrive?

Hi LesleyAnne, first impressions are very good, it was important to us that we got a van that drives well and the Crafter certainly scores on this regard, it's very easy to cover miles in it.

Ours was a personal import from Germany. We got the 177 BHP version with automatic box and upgraded media/nav etc. The bed is firm but not too hard and w're pleased with the amount of storage but other than that it's too soon to really say much more - we've only used it a couple of times.

One other thing, we were initially unsure about the shower enclosure system but after using it we love it.

We're not in a position to use it more until the Spring as we'll be away but we're really looking forward to using it when we can. Will be in Europe mainly but thinking of booking Wilderness next year.

We did have an example of very poor quality control/poor PDI unfortunately, the main programming board for the habitation area was connected wrongly, with things being switched on when they should be switched off etc. If it had not been spotted when the solar was being installed (Sunstore Solar, excellent service) we would have been stranded somewhere with both batteries flat.

Knaus's attitude was poor, not even an apology, and an absolute refusal to let Sunstore - the people who identified the problem - rectify it, even though they could have done it very simply and very quickly.

Happy to answer any queries you might have if I can.

Well, as we speak I’ve made a complaint to the UK importer. Frankly it’s been nothing but problems and delays. I’ve had to find out most information from third parties and I’m being expected to pay for things not fitted to the vehicle?! Items shown on the show vehicles and not listed as extras are not fitted. After initially being told a delivery of end of July I’m still waiting. Knaus can’t even tell me what alarms fitted and expect me to contact VW Germany! Even the vehicle instructions booklet is in German!! When you point out the problems Knaus seem to shrug their shoulders. The vehicle is in England but because of paperwork delays I’m still waiting for registration. Frankly I’ve had enough. I’m awaiting a response. Will keep you posted.

Agree with you on Knaus, their attitude is lousy. The contact you gave us (thanks againwas very responsive and helpful but could only pass us on to after-sales who basically as far as I could see couldn't care less. Pity, as the van is great.

Agree with you on Knaus, their attitude is lousy. The contact you gave us (thanks againwas very responsive and helpful but could only pass us on to after-sales who basically as far as I could see couldn't care less. Pity, as the van is great.
Good to hear mike has been helpful as he’s the one I’ve complained too.

Oh dear that doesn’t sound very good at all. Sorry to hear that having been so enthusiastic at the start and waiting all year for delivery, your expectations are still unmet and you’re left waiting still. Are you now looking again at other alternatives or are you still committed to the BoxDrive?
I’m away between Jan and May next year and pending Mikes response I’ll gain a refund and order something different. If I had my time again I’d think twice about Knaus.

I’m away between Jan and May next year and pending Mikes response I’ll gain a refund and order something different. If I had my time again I’d think twice about Knaus.

That really is a shame, I feel for you! I cannot understand why it has taken so long for you.

In my opinion it is the best camper on the market. Its easy for me to say this as I have got mine, but try and not settle second best, you are nearly there... Once you have it in your possession, you wont have to deal with Knaus directly again. All warranty bits are Dometic, Trumer and VW, so fixable without their involvement.

I have the English Manual now (photo copy), if your dealer can't supply it, I can scan it over to you.

Hang in there mate...

That really is a shame, I feel for you! I cannot understand why it has taken so long for you.

In my opinion it is the best camper on the market. Its easy for me to say this as I have got mine, but try and not settle second best, you are nearly there... Once you have it in your possession, you wont have to deal with Knaus directly again. All warranty bits are Dometic, Trumer and VW, so fixable without their involvement.

I have the English Manual now (photo copy), if your dealer can't supply it, I can scan it over to you.

Hang in there mate...
That’s really kind of you. TBH I have thrown my teddy out of the pram. I had a 3 month tour of south Europe planned from August and then a month following my son’s tour around Germany and the Nordic country’s. All cancelled with the latter costing me quite a lot of money. I cant tell you how angry I am. The last delay is down to Knaus not supplying paperwork on time then the dealer inexplicably not applying for NOVA for 8 days!?! I suspect it will be another week before I take delivery. My preferred option is now to have the Reg paperwork returned and not registering it until June. But if that can’t be done then it depends how far I want to throw my teddy!

That's massively frustrating for you!

Makes sense to delay registration until you need it...
You’ll not f#€king believe this!
Just talked to the DVLA to ask them to reject the registration application to find it’s already been rejected! Apparently it doesn’t conform to UK roads.... you’ve got to laugh or maybe cry?

absolute...........

You’ll not f#€king believe this!
Just talked to the DVLA to ask them to reject the registration application to find it’s already been rejected! Apparently it doesn’t conform to UK roads.... you’ve got to laugh or maybe cry?

absolute...........
1574848934875.png1574848934875.png1574848934875.png

Has anyone looked at celtic motorhomes conversion on VW Crafter? Trouble with non local backup is one reason for buying a California.

Has anyone looked at celtic motorhomes conversion on VW Crafter? Trouble with non local backup is one reason for buying a California.
Yes
I did and was blown away at how good it was I will definitely be considering one when we upsize

Celtic have been around for quite sometime. Started with T5 conversions and moved into the bigger stuff.
No experience, but they seem to have positive reviews and their work looks a pretty good standard.
Got to be an advantage having a UK built van where you can take the van back to for repairs etc.
Motorhomes are even more complex than California’s with plenty of thing to go wrong or break...?

Ive got the paperwork back from the DVLA and Knaus haven’t put the chassis number or vehicle type on the paperwork. Aside from the obvious comment one would expect the error to be corrected within 24 hrs but I somehow think that unlikely.

Last edited:

The van in on my drive!

Quick qestions; where is the auxiliary battery and did you have the energy plus option (additional battery)?

The van in on my drive!

Quick qestions; where is the auxiliary battery and did you have the energy plus option (additional battery)?

Yeehaaa, great news!

The battery is in a cupboard in the garage area, next to the toilet wall. Has a lift off door. I only went with one battery, but plenty of space in there for two. May add another at some point.

Yeehaaa, great news!

The battery is in a cupboard in the garage area, next to the toilet wall. Has a lift off door. I only went with one battery, but plenty of space in there for two. May add another at some point.

oh, Ive gone for the energy plus pack but can only find the the battery you've described?

oh, Ive gone for the energy plus pack but can only find the the battery you've described?

Yeah, not sure what the energy plus is, this it was outside my budget. You've checked in the cubbies on top of the garage sides? That's where all electrical stuff is housed.

Well that's weird. I only found two batteries, one under the bonnet and one under the drivers floor (LHD remember)!

Next time we're out at the van (it's away in storage) I'll have to check that cupboard by the toilet wall under the bed. How strange is that though, our batteries being in different places? Unless I've missed something.....

By the way @itscalledbob, congratulations!

Yeah, not sure what the energy plus is, this it was outside my budget. You've checked in the cubbies on top of the garage sides? That's where all electrical stuff is housed.
Does yours have both these control panels? EDA8BA59-0C89-4491-911E-BCD520C4F2F9.jpeg

Oh, maybe I need to check there too... I went to fire the heating the other day, but the leisure battery was completely flat, so doubt I have two. Now have it plugged in.

Back