Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Wild Camping

Hi VD, local consideration was another thought as well, probably going to avoid Cornwall this summer as I suspect it will be packed. Thinking of Cumbria instead.
It's pretty busy here as well:17da4c74-5d16-479e-8b8e-8cc874556f95.jpg

Hi all.

I bought my Cali for spontaneity so we could take off at a moments notice and either find a site or wild camp. I am not great at planning, probably due to a medical diagnosis 15 years ago when I thought I had a short time left on this planet and now can't really look further than a week or two into the future for fear of things going wrong (stupid I know)

Do we think we will be able to wild camp this year or is that going to be way into the future. I fear sites will be packed well into September, if and when they open which renders our van pretty much useless and then a decision on its future will have to be made or am I wrong?

Thanks
K
This year cant be taken as any kind of example of having a Van , its not normal life so asking the question is a little harsh. But that said trust me you will find 100s of places to wild camp, and Im sure not always the place you want but you will find sites. Ive just booked a Grass Hook up site at Robins hood bay for late July . Dont be downcast , like everyone should write this off and be thankful you came thru it ( Hopefully( and if you get away then its a bonus. Dave

Its interesting reading these posts about wild camping and some have hit the nail on the head. I have wild camped all over Europe and the UK, and the ONLY 'difficulty' has been in the UK. Abroad, in most places you are heartily welcomed so long as you respect the environment and the local population. Not here, not in the UK, not in a country so backward! Its a damning statement of large elements of the UK population, unfriendly, spiteful and mean. I can't wait to get my van over to France in August away from this horrible country we live in.

Hi VD, local consideration was another thought as well, probably going to avoid Cornwall this summer as I suspect it will be packed. Thinking of Cumbria instead.
Cumbria will be rammed, it was before lockdown

Wild camping is pretty much illegal in Wales and England - unless you have the landowners permission (I think this is generally right, but apologise if I’m wrong). So we cannot really moan if a “ nasty, spiteful, mean” local complains surely. If a couple of Cali’s pulled up my lane every week I’d be cheesed off. So is it us or them being selfish?

It's pretty busy here as well:View attachment 61235
Hi Stephen

Yes it is getting busier, a lot of my work is in the Cumbria area as far north as the Scottish border and it was bliss during lockdown (I work for a Utility company so am a key worker) but there has been a steady rise in traffic and people not knowing the roads over the last few weeks. Skipton yesterday was busy and cycling in Liverpool last week there seemed to be a lot of Spanish people.

I am thinking of going further north St Bees, Silloth that way or into Northumberland and maybe Scotland if we are allowed.

Wild camping is pretty much illegal in Wales and England - unless you have the landowners permission (I think this is generally right, but apologise if I’m wrong). So we cannot really moan if a “ nasty, spiteful, mean” local complains surely. If a couple of Cali’s pulled up my lane every week I’d be cheesed off. So is it us or them being selfish?
There are plenty areas that are open common land where you can wild camp and respect locals. I don't park in areas obviously private or near field gates where farmers need access and certainly not near houses or 'up lanes'. Its all about being sensible, and I don't leave any rubbish or human waste when I depart.

There are plenty areas that are open common land where you can wild camp and respect locals. I don't park in areas obviously private or near field gates where farmers need access and certainly not near houses or 'up lanes'. Its all about being sensible, and I don't leave any rubbish or human waste when I depart.
Unfortunately Dave not everyone is like you and many others on here. And I think there’s been a huge increase in people converting vans (did it myself) in recent times all looking for the perfect spot.
The size and space of France, Spain, etc. makes it a bit easier to find remote areas which can be bliss - can’t wait to get out there myself. Happy touring.

Unfortunately there will be more irresponsible wild campers when overnight stays away from home are permitted as many campsites will be full and some charging exorbitant rates. I heard a quote of £300 for a couple backpacking with a 2-man tent (no electric) for 7 nights!!! I hate to think what the charge for a campervan with electric would be:(

Not talking law or legal vs. illegal or any other rules , but imo if people stop using the frase "wild camping" when posting on social media and instead use words like : spent the night in a lay-by / parkinglot , used a free air , done a sleepover near ...it could help not putting us responsible campervanners in the negativity .

If you are not at all in to camping and you read a story on social media , newspaper or some is telling his travelstory to you and one mentions the words "wild camping" i think most people understand that it's a illegal and irrisponsable thing to do .
While to most of us do no harm and leave no trace , still i think "wild camping" are not the right words to use .

Maybe just say "overnight stop" without mentioning anything else?

I’m based in Cumbria and have seen the problems caused by visitors who have parked without consideration and blocked narrow lanes. Farmers have had to help clear access for emergency vehicles. July and August could be hectic in Cumbria if the last month is anything to go by. Please don’t assume it will be any quieter than Cornwall. TK

I’m based in Cumbria and have seen the problems caused by visitors who have parked without consideration and blocked narrow lanes. Farmers have had to help clear access for emergency vehicles. July and August could be hectic in Cumbria if the last month is anything to go by. Please don’t assume it will be any quieter than Cornwall. TK
Thanks for that I am well aware how busy certain parts of Cumbria have been as work all over Cumbria.

Not talking law or legal vs. illegal or any other rules , but imo if people stop using the frase "wild camping" when posting on social media and instead use words like : spent the night in a lay-by / parkinglot , used a free air , done a sleepover near ...it could help not putting us responsible campervanners in the negativity .

If you are not at all in to camping and you read a story on social media , newspaper or some is telling his travelstory to you and one mentions the words "wild camping" i think most people understand that it's a illegal and irrisponsable thing to do .
While to most of us do no harm and leave no trace , still i think "wild camping" are not the right words to use .
Wild camping has never been the term to use in a campervan. Real wild camping involves a small tent, bivvy, hammock, etc that is discreet in the landscape. It should also be remote from roads, so reached by backpacking, kayaking, etc. Being in a campervan is hardly discreet, even if you throw a camo net over it.
It always makes me chuckle when campervanners use the term wild camping.

I always thought the correct term was Stealth Camping.

Try to be as inconspicuous as possible by arriving very late and leaving very early. We always pick remote places on country lanes away from houses and built up areas and never block gateways. If you aren't causing anyone any inconvenience then if anyone passes during the night they are less likely to be bothered.

Talking of ‘stealth’ camping, whilst walking my dog at Beachy Head this am, a couple in a ‘big white’ removing their obviously full cassette and emptying it into a car park drain. Lovely!

Hi all.

I bought my Cali for spontaneity so we could take off at a moments notice and either find a site or wild camp. I am not great at planning, probably due to a medical diagnosis 15 years ago when I thought I had a short time left on this planet and now can't really look further than a week or two into the future for fear of things going wrong (stupid I know)

Do we think we will be able to wild camp this year or is that going to be way into the future. I fear sites will be packed well into September, if and when they open which renders our van pretty much useless and then a decision on its future will have to be made or am I wrong?

Thanks
K
The whole idea of a Cali is spur of the moment camping. If the weather is fine we normally hitch a 20 foot boat behind our Cali and head out for some coastal fishing in beautiful Donegal. On that subject why don’t you all think outside the normal Cornwall or Lake District and take a short ferry ride to N Ireland. Our north and west coasts rival anything in Scotland or Cumbria and more importantly it’s empty. The pubs will be reopening shortly and many will allow you to overnight if you’re having a pint or meal.
Tom

Talking of ‘stealth’ camping, whilst walking my dog at Beachy Head this am, a couple in a ‘big white’ removing their obviously full cassette and emptying it into a car park drain. Lovely!

Did you take them to task over their actions?

The whole idea of a Cali is spur of the moment camping. If the weather is fine we normally hitch a 20 foot boat behind our Cali and head out for some coastal fishing in beautiful Donegal. On that subject why don’t you all think outside the normal Cornwall or Lake District and take a short ferry ride to N Ireland. Our north and west coasts rival anything in Scotland or Cumbria and more importantly it’s empty. The pubs will be reopening shortly and many will allow you to overnight if you’re having a pint or meal.
Tom
Whenever I look, the Ferry charges are exorbitant in comparison to going mainland Europe.

Back