Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Wind out awning

S

Steve Barrand

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Evening all,

I didn’t bother getting the wind out awning when I got my Beach last year. Question is.... am I missing out?

If it was up to me I wouldn’t bother but missus insisted.

The sun is always in the wrong place and the rain blows under it. When it’s rolled out you spend the whole time worrying about it, and if you leave it out overnight it fills with rain and bellies in.

Looks good with the table and chairs under it though! :D

I just thought that the lines of he van looked better without it plus I didn’t think I would use it much - once I’d played with it, it would stay in it’s housing.

Better for stealth camping without it too.

if i didnt have mine my comfortz awning room wouldnt work

i have never been a big fan of driveaway awnings this room suits me down to the ground easy to put up and packs away in with the chairs in the tailgate.i keep my porta potti in it at night.

i have never been a big fan of driveaway awnings this room suits me down to the ground easy to put up and packs away in with the chairs in the tailgate.i keep my porta potti in it at night.
I guess it should be easy to put up, but in my guise as a camping Newbie who got the arms of his awning stuck open on its first unwinding, I also put 2 of the awning room panels up then gave up as it was a bit windy and it looked like a 3 year old had put them up !
Hoping to hear some "best practice" from some experienced users at the Gloucester meet as I KNOW it should have been easier :)

i will be glad to give you a demo at the gloucester meet

I've rarely used the wind-out awning to keep sun off as I camp in UK and can use all the sun we get. But I think it's fantastic when it rains, I just wind it out a maximum of about 2ft and it acts as a porch and keeps the rain out when opening the side door, unless it's blowing straight in. But be warned - it still collects a pool of water so don't wind it in without getting rid of the water or you'll get an early (cold) shower - ask me how I know!

Wound out a couple of feet it works well as a rain porch. All the way out as a sun shade but I hardly ever use mine.
If I was staying on site and was happy that the weather was ok I might use it but I would definitely not be relaxed about leaving it unattended. Even with additional tie downs it's too susceptible to gusts of wind or rain pooling.

Wound out a couple of feet it works well as a rain porch. All the way out as a sun shade but I hardly ever use mine.
If I was staying on site and was happy that the weather was ok I might use it but I would definitely not be relaxed about leaving it unattended. Even with additional tie downs it's too susceptible to gusts of wind or rain pooling.

The awning is there to be used.

Over the last year our awning has quite possibly spent more time wound out than wound in.

Typically we spend four nights at a campsite before moving on, and unless we are off in the car on an excursion the awning will be fully wound out for three complete days and four complete nights, anchored down and tensioned by a driveaway awning.

We have learned to prevent pooling water by fully extending the legs so the rain water drains towards the van and drains off at the front or rear.

The awning is now slightly discoloured and has two small holes. I will try to get the fabric replaced under warranty, but if I have to pay for new fabric I will be comfortable that we have made full and proper use of the awning.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

We have learned to prevent pooling water by fully extending the legs so the rain water drains towards the van and drains off at the front or rear.
Ah never thought of sloping it that way. I don’t think it would work with this awning room attached though, there would be a gap underneath.

82B09DA2-E24B-4126-991C-56EF66B7BE43.jpeg

CA241952-2685-4A57-8FCC-3D04B2346E2E.jpeg B751A596-1003-4AD4-9C09-0A3E12BB074A.jpeg Love our awning and after tonnes of questions and others experiences we have bought the Thule rain blocker panels one at a time as we have saved up. They are great, add stability, and gives up valuable extra space for whatever your needs are. After practice and careful packing we can arrive on site in the dark and have awning out, sides on , breathable mat down, bikes secured, kitchen set up with supper on the go, beds made and be supping our first pint in 45 mins! The only drawback was no curtains, so made some out of shower curtians

It's works as an excellent rain shelter, and a superb clothes horse (with added hooks and line) for drying and airing. Never used it to shelter from the sun. Ask me where I principally holiday.