Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

winter air

I tried some of the hot air from the forum but it only resulted in a blow out. ;)

An argument can me made for OEM, if you can find it. See post #58.
It’s on back order ATM, something to do with a B word, C word and a ship in a canal!

I think this is causing quite an issue with new factory orders as they have to Air on the side of caution.

we are all a lot more aware of how clean the Air should be, the air we used to use just isn’t up to spec anymore.

rumour has it dealers may charge for this as part of a new service interval plan, due to the potential emissions caused by changing from summer to winter air and the cost of disposal of the old air.

all this talk of winter air is so last season.

Anyone tried Spring Water?

The Farmers do it.

The Farmers do it.

An uncle of mine used to be a farm manager. In the winter the water in the tractors’ tyres would freeze and the wheels would turn with a big clump every complete rotation where the bottom had frozen flat like a bit sliced off a doughnut.

The chances of freezing could be reduced with anti-freeze added to the water.

So there’s the solution for winter: replace the summer air with antifreeze.

An uncle of mine used to be a farm manager. In the winter the water in the tractors’ tyres would freeze and the wheels would turn with a big clump every complete rotation where the bottom had frozen flat like a bit sliced off a doughnut.

The chances of freezing could be reduced with anti-freeze added to the water.

So there’s the solution for winter: replace the summer air with antifreeze.
And what about the chickens?

I keep seeing this thread pop up but when ever I ask at the tyre store they don't know what I am talking about. Kwik Fit used helium on the last time I have tyres replaced which incurred an extra charge and I have not seen any difference

I keep seeing this thread pop up but when ever I ask at the tyre store they don't know what I am talking about. Kwik Fit used helium on the last time I have tyres replaced which incurred an extra charge and I have not seen any difference

Surely your MPG has improved...?

Only benefit is in 6 foot deep water, test report will be more interesting than 'winter air'.:thumb

Safety wise no improvement but prevents the additional weight being detected by the weighbridge!
The safety must have gone worse. The road holding (??) will be a lot less.
Better have some sticky tyres for some friction.

The safety must have gone worse. The road holding (??) will be a lot less.
Better have some sticky tyres for some friction.
Good point. Helium needs it own thread as it necessitates a a change in tyres. Let's keep this thread pure and focus on winter and summer air. New autumn and fall air also now available - but that's all a con - as it is not too different from winter or Summer air and they charge a premium.

And don’t forget the spare wheel….

Do those with the tyre sealant need different kits for winter & summer?
Or is it not worth worrying about because they never work anyway?

Good point. Helium needs it own thread as it necessitates a a change in tyres. Let's keep this thread pure and focus on winter and summer air. New autumn and fall air also now available - but that's all a con - as it is not too different from winter or Summer air and they charge a premium.
I think I said it last year when the subject came up, I changed the old van to 4 seasons air just to save the hassle.

The new van Ive gone with winter air in the winter tyres and 4 seasons in the summer ones just in case I keep them on all year.

Apparently there is a new development with Rubidium being added to the air, this is to enable quick detection of any punctures, just wave a lighter around the wheel & any leakage will be shown up with a bright pink flame. I don't know why nobody thought of it before.

I now need rimming again , am I best replacing my wheels with steel ones ?
Suggest you put a call in to Sinclair’s in Cardiff - they seem to know their stuff. I was in there on the weekend to enquire about a tyre flush and summer air refill. He said if I went for Welsh gas he’d throw in a good rimming in for free. Any reviews on Welsh gas? Is it worth the Premium? Will I still get the same promised mpg improvement when I drive in England?