Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Word of Warning, if you have a Spare Wheel.

WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
That time of the year, but the garden and lawn still too sodden, so decided to remove my 17” Steel Spare with 235x55 tyre and clean it, rub it down and apply some Hammerite paint.
So, undo captive bolt on L side - no problem, unscrewed about 1.5 cm.
Removed dust cap on R side Locking Bolt and using Socket key removed bolt and Safelock.
Using Tool Kit wheel wrench fitted into wheel carrier lift and slide to the L to disengage Carrier from the captive bolt. No problem and lowered to the ground with the Wheel wrench still in place.

Then fun and games. Couldn’t slide the wheel out because of the Captive Bolt AND the Towbar Electrics Socket were in the way and the Wheel wrench was holding the carrier up slightly. With great difficulty and a large screw driver managed to lift carrier and remove Wheel wrench. Still not enough room so had to resort to jacking the Rear Nearside up so I could get the wheel out.

The Wheel was in quit good condition after almost 3.5 years and 65,000 miles. A good clean with the water jet, wire brush and 2 coats of Hammer finish Silver Hammerite and it looked like new. The wheel has been out before but at the local tyre fitters but not on the driveway before.
Also SafeLock cleaned, wire brushed and coated in Red Enamel paint.

SO, if you have a flat tyre then remove the spare first , especially if the damaged tyre is on the front.

How those who have lowered suspension manage I do not know, but I doubt if many carry a Spare. If you do check to see how easy or not it is to get the Spare wheel out in anger.

Have Fun:thumb

That will be my next job. After 3 years now I think its about time to drop the spare down and do some cleaning maintenance and checking. Thanks WGas

I can only agree. It’s no fun figuring it out on the hard shoulder of a motorway. I’d made sure everything worked but it’s very interesting trying to put the punctured wheel back underneath. From memory captive bolt and the way you have to manipulate it all was challenging. I’ll have a refresh and check it out when the sun decides to shine.

Mike

I certainly found it impossible to get the puntured tyre back under. I left it on the Cali kitchen floor until I found a suitable tyre place. Not ideal, but no alternative.

I certainly found it impossible to get the puntured tyre back under. I left it on the Cali kitchen floor until I found a suitable tyre place. Not ideal, but no alternative.

That’s where mine stayed until I found a sensible place to sort it. Still difficult. My recommendation is not to try and do as you did, especially if your trying to get a nice shiny diamond cut alloy back in its box. Nightmare.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yep - used the spare to swap the wheels from front to back, and found it impossible to slide out of the cage without jacking up the rear offside.

While you have the spare out check the pressure as well. I usually blow ours up a few psi above the correct pressure as they sometimes lose a bit while stored.
Also mount it with the valve downwards so you can check it occasionally.

While you have the spare out check the pressure as well. I usually blow ours up a few psi above the correct pressure as they sometimes lose a bit while stored.
Also mount it with the valve downwards so you can check it occasionally.
Agree. Tyres run at 44psi Front so the Spare is at 50 psi. Easier to drop the pressure than to have to pump it up.
Also tyre pressures can drop over time.

That time of the year, but the garden and lawn still too sodden, so decided to remove my 17” Steel Spare with 235x55 tyre and clean it, rub it down and apply some Hammerite paint.
Removed dust cap on R side Locking Bolt and using Socket key removed bolt and Safelock.
Using Tool Kit wheel wrench fitted into wheel carrier lift and slide to the L to disengage Carrier from the captive bolt. No problem and lowered to the ground with the Wheel wrench still in place.

Then fun and games. Couldn’t slide the wheel out because of the Captive Bolt AND the Towbar Electrics Socket were in the way and the Wheel wrench was holding the carrier up slightly. With great difficulty and a large screw driver managed to lift carrier and remove Wheel wrench. Still not enough room so had to resort to jacking the Rear Nearside up so I could get the wheel out.

The Wheel was in quit good condition after almost 3.5 years and 65,000 miles. A good clean with the water jet, wire brush and 2 coats of Hammer finish Silver Hammerite and it looked like new. The wheel has been out before but at the local tyre fitters but not on the driveway before.

SO, if you have a flat tyre then remove the spare first , especially if the damaged tyre is on the front.

How those who have lowered suspension manage I do not know, but I doubt if many carry a Spare. If you do check to see how easy or not it is to get the Spare wheel out in anger.

As stated previously, reverse it up on to your levelling blocks to gain extra height before removing spare.

As stated previously, reverse it up on to your levelling blocks to gain extra height before removing spare.
Many owners don’t have levelling blocks. Also you might have problems using them in certain circumstances. But a good idea if you can.

I wanted to give a double rating but the forum software won't allow!
Informative? Yes, I rated this post but I add thanks too!
Thanks again.

I have AA membership.............. :happy

I have AA membership.............. :happy
But they still have to get the spare wheel out, if you have one in good enough condition that is.:Nailbiting

Good reminder, did my one today.

Very informative thread. Does anyone have any experience of the tyre sealant kits ? Would they be an option to get you to a garage ?

Very informative thread. Does anyone have any experience of the tyre sealant kits ? Would they be an option to get you to a garage ?
Once sealant is in the wheel it can not be repaired. No tyre company will touch it.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Providing the leak is not too big best strategy is to just inflate to get you to a garage. I keep a 12v pump in the van just for that. Used it this winter when I got a flat on one of my winters, alternative was to change a wheel or trash the tyre by driving it flat.

Providing the leak is not too big best strategy is to just inflate to get you to a garage. I keep a 12v pump in the van just for that. Used it this winter when I got a flat on one of my winters, alternative was to change a wheel or trash the tyre by driving it flat.

Completely agree. Definitely the easiest solution. My old Touran had no spare and in 20 years and 100,000 miles I had a few punctures. Was always able to inflate and get to a garage. One puncture in the Cali was a blowout and tyre was wrecked so a spare is essential for me but only to be used if unable to inflate.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Really depends where you roam in your California. I carry a Spare and a Slime Kit. In Scandinavia you could be a few miles from a Tyre Shop.

But they still have to get the spare wheel out, if you have one in good enough condition that is.:Nailbiting

I wouldn't presume to tell them how to do their job though!

I wouldn't presume to tell them how to do their job though!
Much easier for them just take the punctured wheel off and go to a local garage and have a coffee while it's fixed.

or.. just bang in a tyre string, pump back up and carry on.. :happy

I've seen them used but never actually used one myself... are they really that simple to put in? (Already have the rubber mallet in back of the van!).

If so I would definitely carry a couple in future.

Back