Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

word of warning regards roof drains

calikev

calikev

Administrator
Admin/Founder
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Here is a precautionary tale i had water leaking into my cab down the door pillar so i decided to investigate.
i removed the interior trim to try and locate the drain pipe only to discover that at the top were the hole is there is a 90' degree angle so trying to poke something down it wont work. the drain pipe runs down the door pillar to the bulkhead where there is a rubber valve that once the drain pipe is full will open and dispel the water. the best way is to put an airline on it at the top and blow it out. This didnt cure my leak though so on further investigation i realised the roof rubber was not seating properly at the front ( see picture 1 )this was allowing water to get under the seal and sit there and find its way in . upon checking the steel band that holds the seal in place had broken through the rubber and gone rusty preventing a good seal . i purchased a new seal and fitted it today so hopefully problem solved. Very easy to do

IMG_4101.JPG

IMG_0470.JPG

IMG_8213.JPG

IMG_3851.JPG

IMG_5673.JPG

IMG_4158.JPG

IMG_9619.JPG

IMG_1500.JPG

The way the drainpipe runs is expained in a topic somewhere and indeed not a good idea to push a sharp item in , better gently use a airblower....

The roofseals are always rusty after certain time .
I also notice some small bubbels on the roof edge...is yours on a list for the roof job ?

no wim the marks you can see is where the roof seal has gripped the edge

Was it not covered by VW used car warranty?

I know those lines are from the seal , still notice a bublle ...

Had a new deal when my roof had origional repair done. Seal rusted through a rear corner within a year. Body shop replaced it when they redid the roof repair. Now 18 months later I notice it is rusting through again. They are not fit for purpose.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

How is your repaired roof looking andy?

Roof is ok now thanks Kev.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

That’s good mine must of had a new cap at some point still looks good

Back