Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Working out of your van

RodCouncil

A Brit in Sweden
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Given that we live in such a beautiful country over here that is well provisioned with 4G I thought that maybe we could extend weekends away by me working either end on the road.

So as an experiment I thought I could give it a go on an extended sortie into Norway, Ican tether from my work phone in order to connect to work on my laptop and do my job, but keeping the computer charged off grid might not be so simple I guess, can you tap into the B pillar outlet in order to charge the laptop?

I noticed when we were in Norway this summer that even in remote places you could get pretty good signal, so who knows where we could end up :)

Last edited:
I use a 12v charger. Apple macbook air. It utilises the otherwise pretty useless 12v socket by the side of the rear seat and side door.

I think thats an excellent idea.

I can think of quite a few times where I would normally be working from home but could do the same work while sitting in the back of a cali with the table up, laptop on and just work like i'm on a train (wife driving the cali, obviously)

Will make good use of some of the travelling time we will need to do some long trips to scotland to see my parents etc

If you have one of the newer laptops with USB-C Power Delivery, you can simply use one of these to charge from the 12v sockets. It puts out about 30W so enough to keep a 13" MacBook Pro topped up in use if it isn't being stressed to the max. Otherwise there are some laptop specific 12v chargers you can look up as GrannyJen suggested.

I work in my California Beach, at least 2x days every week.... Albeit, sometimes only either morning or afternoon on any particular day.

I have a 2017 MacBookPro 13", which charges via a USB-C cable..... In general the battery is good for an 8hr shift from fully-charged. I tend to plug it in, via a 12v charger (see link below) whilst on the move, from the leisure battery.

https://www.tesco.com/direct/energizer-120w-cup-holder-car-charger/643-9124.prd?source=others

However, I could also get a 60,000mAh power bank, form Amazon or elsewhere, if I thought I needed extra power. I haven't to-date......

Thanks folks, I'll hit up our version of currys over here maybe drop a wifi station in :)

Frida will be off on a years maternity soon and then 6m for me so damned if I'm going to float around Stockholmn sipping latte's.

one of the nice things about working from the van is that the computer can be charged during "dead time", whilst driving. Lovely to arrive at the next destination, make a nice cup of tea and then have a fully charged laptop to work from anywhere you would like to.

I still have very fond memories of being sat outside a restaurant/cafe in the main square of Kemmel, having had a delightful dinner, with a very nice glass of wine beside me and polishing off the notes for a talk that I was giving the following night.

I work from my Cali about once a week. Macbook Pro running off the inverter, and a 4G MiFi device with three.co.uk sim for when abroad.

Works flawlessly, and makes a really good environment to work in.

D38CA9DE-7CAA-4792-894D-BFC474A527FA.jpeg I am a film director and I often drive somewhere in the Beach and review / cut edits on my 2017 MacBook Pro with USB-C charging and fit in a surf for lunch The hardest part is pretending you are somewhere less relaxed with the production team

Thanks for the tips folks, just so you know we live in Sweden so it's typical that your company provides the phone for tethering, got to be some cashback for not owning a Mac ;)

I am seriously considering using the California as an office from time to time. Getting out of my office and avoiding all the distractions and interruptions would allow me to get much more work done. Warm, refreshments on tap a worktop and a laptop. All I need -
and a good view too.

I always find it amazing just how motivational a change of scenery or even a move round of my office furnature is.

It must be something to do with my personality type of managing chaos or using the change as an opportunity for transformative thinking etc.

Because my role covers the East Midlands I can't wait for the days where I'm on the go all day, travelling around everywhere and that also includes a seaside cuppa at lunch while going through emails etc. Lovely.

I use a 12v charger. Apple macbook air. It utilises the otherwise pretty useless 12v socket by the side of the rear seat and side door.
That's where I leave my Vodafone dongel plugged in, I use it for work and the kids use it when they're in the van

I often edit photos and videos in my van (more photos to be honest). I use a 12v macbook charger and photoshop and lightroom are fine via 12v.

I usually use my iphone as a wifi hotspot if I need the internet for anything.

I develop analytics applications and BI solutions in the cloud so need to be connected all the time apart from when I can work on-prem then use client tools on my laptop, but 4G is oustanding here in Sweden so no big issues apart from data but it's small chips compared to media files.

I worked from my van today. Normal laptop pc - nothing snazzy. Charging cable divides into two at a “brick” - husband provided the euro version that plugs in the inverter (I took off my UK plug version section) and the other end plugs into the “clover leaf” socket in the “brick”. Worked fabulously - had a great day! Hope this makes sense!

Due to my poor broadband at home I will be using mine quite regularly as a mobile office. Just taken the dogs for a walk and now time for work.

f0a94b2fa893f0c692ae582e8f30fc4e.jpg

Last edited:
The office provided me with an ipad so as I could do mag work when away from home in the Cali and unable to be contacted especially at deadline time!
but who wants to work or be bothered by work stuff when you are away!!! (unless you have to of course) I don't even like checking emails, though it's a pain when you log in back home after just a few days and find a bursting inbox!

charge the laptop via inverter, All social no work

The office provided me with an ipad so as I could do mag work when away from home in the Cali and unable to be contacted especially at deadline time!
but who wants to work or be bothered by work stuff when you are away!!! (unless you have to of course) I don't even like checking emails, though it's a pain when you log in back home after just a few days and find a bursting inbox!
For us its massive mileage to get to the mountains or somewhere that isn't forests from Stockolm so the idea is that we use Friday and Monday working (because I'm paid to) on the road and then or course on the weekend the laptop is hidden from view :)

Back