Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Working out of your van

Due to my poor broadband at home I will be using mine quite regularly as a mobile office. Just taken the dogs for a walk and now time for work.

f0a94b2fa893f0c692ae582e8f30fc4e.jpg

Can see who's in the driving seat :D

I think in Cali you pretend to work ......

:thumb Yep, thats the one... starting to fill up with big whites now!

I'm not surprised. Would like to be there myself. A great place to work from.

I am taking Jo to Norfolk to recuperate following surgery but then we might make a visit to that area in November. We have a lot of friends in West Somerset and might carry on to North Devon after visiting them.

View attachment 26148 I am a film director and I often drive somewhere in the Beach and review / cut edits on my 2017 MacBook Pro with USB-C charging and fit in a surf for lunch The hardest part is pretending you are somewhere less relaxed with the production team

Great looking van!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I work in mine regularly. I've got a 100W solar panel on the roof (from Roger; excellent) and a 300w inverter that plugs into the normal cigarette socket by the bench seat. That will charge two 3 pin plugs plus 4 USB..... means I can hot spot from my phone and have full 4G connectivity to my work (Dell) and personal(MacBook) laptop simultaneously!! End of the day with fridge on etc.... fully charged!! As my Cali is an 09 I also replaced both leisure batteries with 100aH cells which gives me ample storage when overcast. All in all superb. Godrevy is highly recommended if you want to watch seals and dolphins whilst writing reports!

FullSizeRender.jpg

Last edited:
Matt you could use your slidepod as a standing desk. Much more healthy,will keep you young. :thumb

I work from home most of the time so intend to find a few local locations (sadly the coast is a little far from here) where i can take the van make some coffee and kill a few hours coding.

View attachment 26148 I am a film director and I often drive somewhere in the Beach and review / cut edits on my 2017 MacBook Pro with USB-C charging and fit in a surf for lunch The hardest part is pretending you are somewhere less relaxed with the production team
I'll second the great looking van comment!

What are the colours? White and Starlight Blue?

I am taking Jo to Norfolk to recuperate following surgery but then we might make a visit to that area in November. We have a lot of friends in West Somerset and might carry on to North Devon after visiting them.
If you do, woods in dulverton, wine pub /restaurant of the year, for lots of years running is great. Campsite down the road x

Matt you could use your slidepod as a standing desk. Much more healthy,will keep you young. :thumb

That is a good idea, I will give that a try, we have been using standing desks more and more at work.

I work from home most of the time so intend to find a few local locations (sadly the coast is a little far from here) where i can take the van make some coffee and kill a few hours coding.

Yeah I would love to be by the sea too but we've still found a few good ones in the Midlands,
Burton Dassett and Beacon Hill are two we use quite often.

I'd love to do more work in the van, although maybe more for summer ;)

I'll second the great looking van comment!

What are the colours? White and Starlight Blue?

I am taking Jo to Norfolk to recuperate following surgery but then we might make a visit to that area in November. We have a lot of friends in West Somerset and might carry on to North Devon after visiting them.[/QUOTE

If you do, woods in dulverton, wine pub /restaurant of the year, for lots of years running is great. Campsite down the road x

Anybody here remotely connect to their employer's network while working away from the office? Just wondering how much 4G data that uses. I have to be more or less continuously connected when I'm working from home. I use Citrix client to make the connection.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Citrix is quite light in terms of network traffic, i use it all the time on my iPad over 4G.

In some respects it actually depends how much movement you have on the screen. If you are just typing stuff in word then very very little data is used, if you are constantly moving stuff around on the screen then it has to refresh it all the time using a bit more.

It's still really light compared to connecting via VPN and syncing a massive outlook inbox etc directly.

Indeed, the excellent Exmoor house.

Thank you for that recommendation.

Due to my poor broadband at home I will be using mine quite regularly as a mobile office. Just taken the dogs for a walk and now time for work.

f0a94b2fa893f0c692ae582e8f30fc4e.jpg
I have a Cali and two Mini Schnauzers!

Thanks Steve! It was white I added a satin blue wrap
Thanks for responding. I asked because we wanted to go for two tone paint but didn't because the factory colours weren't what we wanted.

Been toying with the idea of getting the bottom half resprayed (something like the old Neptune/Reef blue) but your wrap looks really good so may explore that as another option.

Sorry all, gone way off topic...

Thanks Steve! It was white I added a satin blue wrap

I’ll second Steve’s comment, that looks fantastic. We’re toying with something similar - it’s one of the reasons we went with a white van.

Where did you get it wrapped, if you don’t mind my asking?

I’ve done a lot of conference calls, emailing & proposal writing on the table in the rear of both my vans.

If I could only disguise the ‘foreign dial tone’ that callers hear then I’d spend a lot more time in France ‘working from home’ :D

Back