Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

World’s Oldest VW Transporter??

Thats why i go to Camper Centrum Nederland in Amersfoort ....
The above is from that area , look at the advertising ...enlarge and look left above
;)
No photoshop ?

The above photo was posted on instagram, by chopperolli. It states it's a VW Transporter 1914 TT1. Used by Ben Pon's father, Mijndert Pon in Amersfoort, Holland.

I've no idea, how legitimate that statement is.

Bernardus Marinus "Ben" Pon, Sr. was a Dutch businessman. In 1947, Pon's Automobielhandel, became the first dealer outside of Germany to sell vehicles manufactured by Volkswagen. Wikipedia

Did VW exist in those days?

Hardly, the first VW was the brainchild of Herr Hitler, designed by Ferdinand Porsche , prior to the Porsche brand coming into existence, Hitler, who thought up the ‘peoples car’ took deposits on the Beetle although very few took delivery of a car prior to WW2. Porsche designed the famous Silver Arrows of the 30s, the most famous pilot, Bernd Rosemeyer, hence my tag here, BerndRos. Auto Union,now Audi.

Hardly, the first VW was the brainchild of Herr Hitler, designed by Ferdinand Porsche , prior to the Porsche brand coming into existence, Hitler, who thought up the ‘peoples car’ took deposits on the Beetle although very few took delivery of a car prior to WW2. Porsche designed the famous Silver Arrows of the 30s, the most famous pilot, Bernd Rosemeyer, hence my tag here, BerndRos. Auto Union,now Audi.

Didn’t Major Ivan Hirst get VW and the Beetle up and running?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes and no. Hitler and Porsche had already collaborated on a "peoples car" in the late 30's but the factory was destroyed during WW2. Major Hurst helped rebuild the factory. Once completed it was offered to Henry Ford who turned it down, as did some British manufacturers, so it was handed back to Germany.

I'd be surprised if that was real! Looks like some clever photoshopping. High roof buses were not made until 1961
It was Ben Pon who first drew up a sketch for a VW Transporter with rear engine / driver over front wheels in 1947 when visiting the factory but the army Brits i/c were not interested having got Beetle production restarted and twas not till Germans / Herr Nodhoff took over factory in 48 that plans were then restarted
I have never seen this, and have visited Pon dealership in Amersfoort and have met the family so I think someone is having a laugh!

Back