Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Worrying internal smells

Bobbybus

Bobbybus

Learning how to be a hedonist...
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
I went out today in the California and could smell something staight away on start up. At first I thought something was burning and then I thought the smell was more chemical. The smells alternated between the two. There were no smells in the engine bay, just inside. Aircon? Anything else? Has anybody experienced the same and can enlighten me?
I am worried that the van might spontaneously combust!

Any leftovers in the fridge....?

Experienced once in another car: I had to replace the filters in the AC/the fluid of the AC, after that everything was okay. What does your service history say: time to change the filters?

Another possibility is a leak in the Internal Heater Matrix and you are smelling AntiFreeze. Check the Coolant level.

Dirty water in grey water tank breathing through sink drain into van ?

Surely it was the 2nd heater, to quickly warm the engine when below 4C. Can’t remember if it’s the webasto or eberspacher.

Surely it was the 2nd heater, to quickly warm the engine when below 4C.
Excuse my ignorance, and sorry for a slight hi-jack on the thread but is this a standard option?
i.e. have I bought a vehicle that has this feature without knowing?

Excuse my ignorance, and sorry for a slight hi-jack on the thread but is this a standard option?
Yes, standard on the Ocean, not sure about the Beach. Comes on as a coolant heater in cold temps to warm the engine up quicker.

If you look on the edge of the open drivers door there will be a couple of stickers Eberspacher and webasto one is the engine coolant heater other is the aux air heater. If you have both stickers you have both heaters..

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. Some good suggestions. Certainly not food in the fridge or waste tank related. A/C Filters? Well they should have been changed! I need to check but this does seem to be a possible cause of the chemical smell. Odd though that it should occur so strongly without previous hint of a smell/problem. A leak of a/c fluid/gas?
Anti-freeze? It doesn't smell like it. Levels are ok. The engine heater was working at the time, as it was this morning, and the smell was there again. I'll be able to exclude the heater when the air temp gets higher. Mmm. The investigation continues.
Thank you all.

Why is an internal Email worrying?

I sincerely hope It's not this, but about a year ago I had some rather worrying smells in my 2008 Cali, and it was discovered to be the EGR cooler and valve (something to do with cooling the exhaust fumes before pumping them back into the engine - I think!). It cost me nearly £700 to replace it!

:thumb:thumb:thumb
I believe you.

How’s the unpacking going?
Well we have the lounge and kitchen in a good state to live with.
Tomorrow get the dining room and bedrooms straight and I hope to get the camping gaz rigged up to the Cali
Thanks for asking :thumb

Back