Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Would you stretch yourself financially?

Pro moochers

Pro moochers

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
I currently own a T4 converted camper and I will have a California by next year.
I'm aiming to go for an early T5.1 but I'm pondering stretching myself and going for a late T5.1 or maybe an early T6.
Would you stick to a more comfortable purchase or is it worth adding another 24 months onto the loan for a later model?

Tricky. Depreciation is typically highest at the ages where you get the comfort of the warranty. Outside of the warranty period, depreciation seems pretty consistent across the years. The biggest factor is the rapid escalation of new prices (driven by demand and wak £). Bought well, many get their full money back after several years of ownership. If new prices stalled, used prices will fall more quickly.

If you study hard and understand the changes between the T5 and the T5.1, and again to the T6, you'll be able to weigh up what suits you.

The best advice is to study the specs and the market really well in the coming months, so when a well priced van pop ups, you can act quickly. In the current market, "You snooze you lose (or pay too much)".

I've been studying for approximately 6 months which led me to wanting a T5.1 and not a T5.
Unfortunately the longer you study the more options become available
I'm confident I'd own my Cali for a minimum of 6 years so resale isn't a big issue for me, as I know I'd get my monies worth.
Reason I'm looking to upgrade from my T4 is we toured Europe 2 years ago and we want it to be an annual trip. The mileage would eventually kill our T4

The mileage would eventually kill our T4
Plenty here would argue even a high mileage T4 would be more reliable than a T5....but you lack some of the creature comforts. So many of the T5/6 breakdowns seem to relate the emission control equipment the T4 lacks (cough cough).

horses for courses, and no-one can tell you how much it's worth to you unfortunately.

my experience started with a '59 plate T5 conversion (manual box) & I upgraded to a pre-reg'd '65 plate early T6 DSG Beach - night & day difference in refinement & much more car-like, particularly noticeable on long trips.

A T6 is far better on emissions, being EURO6 compliant, there are an increasing number of places where that is a requirement & it is going to get more important year by year.

A T6 is far better on emissions, being EURO6 compliant, there are an increasing number of places where that is a requirement & it is going to get more important year by year.
This is probably one of the most relevant points unless the OP has no desire to ever go near an urban centre

It's an assessment that the owner has to make. Spend x £1000,s to change to a Euro6 compliant vehicle or pay a ULEZ charge occasionally. I visit London 2 or 3 times a year so 3 to 6 x £12.50 v maybe £10,000 to change to a T6/6.1 .
I think I'll stick and wait for a hybrid or full EV California.

I wonder what @Pro moochers did choose given that the question is six years old!!!!

including parking outside your own house in Lambeth now. Reportedly a £140 surcharge on Residents Parking Permits for non-EURO6 compliant vehicles introduced despite resistance during 'consultation':

including parking outside your own house in Lambeth now. Reportedly a £140 surcharge on Residents Parking Permits for non-EURO6 compliant vehicles introduced despite resistance during 'consultation':

Richmond started that on parking permits years ago.

lolz, yes! - the Similar Threads section at the bottom of the screen has very small font on a phone ...

lolz, yes! - the Similar Threads section at the bottom of the screen has very small font on a phone ...
well, especially the current environment should have raised an alarm that this thread might sound very odd.
It looks to me a very adverse time right now to think about stretching oneself financially..