Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T5.1 SE 180hp DSG

T
Is this right on a diesel, I thought it was pretty difficult to remove the injectors or glow plugs without risk of breaking them, but I haven't tried on a newer diesel, are they easy ?
There is an official smooth running test that avoids the need for glow plugs to be removed which my mechanic said could be problematic.

I purchased my 180BHP, new in 2010. In 2015, and with only a few hundred miles warning it went from using zero oil to using a litre every few hundred miles. Result, new engine for about 8K, luckily after much ado, VW paid 70% and I paid the other 30%. Don’t think VW offer any assistance now.

Then late last year the DSG bit the dust, without any warning and had only had an oil change shortly before. Result, new Mechatronic Box, Clutch pack, Planet Gears, etc. £5730.

Engine went at about 45K miles & DSG at 88K miles. Cali had always been serviced on time and by a main dealer.

Of the 30/40 cars I have owned this is by far the worst of them, reliability wise.

Plan to keep it, as hoping I now have a chance of reliability, but who knows, fingers crossed. This post is the stark reality of costs to expect if these issues occur.
I have not had any issues with mine and I have had it for 8 years.

Last edited:
Some of this is an education to me, I am amazed that anyone selling a vehicle would allow any of these things to be done. Most won't have even heard of the problems described on here and surely would be surprised to be asked for something like this wouldn't they. I know it's a bit different with a trader, but if I was selling a car / van and someone asked me if they could take it to a garage for a compression test or oil sample I would think they were trying to con me. I would be too embarrassed to ask the other way round, I would expect to be told where to go.
Do people really ask for these things and get a positive reaction from sellers ?
Yes people do. Yes it does feel like a con but I got mine checked out.

Aside from any EGR/oil consumption issues that may be of concern, you should check the roof canvas.

Although it has a bellows bungee fitted (so the previous owner had a clue), it still has the original canvas, which looks may have been trapped in the roof when closing because there appears to be a small tear. And it looks as though there is a kink in the edge of the roof (with maybe a second one further back).

You could ask the dealer to replace the canvas with the newer, more water-resistant T6 version, or perhaps negotiate an equivalent price reduction.

1687594127631.png

1687594339425.png

Agree, my 2013 DSG 180, was plenty fast enough. I rarely used the power available and when I did the sound of crockery and tins crashing against cupboard doors made me ease off!
A place for everything and everything in its place seems to work and allow “spirited” driving within the limits of the suspension and due consideration to other road users.

6BF68A8E-3A19-4EBC-94F4-3B2F9BC17D16.jpeg

8BCC6220-25D5-4359-B319-D2ED15DA089F.jpeg

Aside from any EGR/oil consumption issues that may be of concern, you should check the roof canvas.

Although it has a bellows bungee fitted (so the previous owner had a clue), it still has the original canvas, which looks may have been trapped in the roof when closing because there appears to be a small tear. And it looks as though there is a kink in the edge of the roof (with maybe a second one further back).

You could ask the dealer to replace the canvas with the newer, more water-resistant T6 version, or perhaps negotiate an equivalent price reduction.

View attachment 110182

View attachment 110183
Went to look today, van was nice inside but noted the roof/bellows damage. Bodywork and alloys were Ropey too.

Dealer was absolutely shocking barely interested so I left shortly afterwards. Had no intention of letting me test drive and didn’t want my part ex either.

The search continues.

Some of this is an education to me, I am amazed that anyone selling a vehicle would allow any of these things to be done. Most won't have even heard of the problems described on here and surely would be surprised to be asked for something like this wouldn't they. I know it's a bit different with a trader, but if I was selling a car / van and someone asked me if they could take it to a garage for a compression test or oil sample I would think they were trying to con me. I would be too embarrassed to ask the other way round, I would expect to be told where to go.
Do people really ask for these things and get a positive reaction from sellers ?
I would suspect that a seller who didn’t allow these tests to be done would be the one doing the conning.

Went to look today, van was nice inside but noted the roof/bellows damage. Bodywork and alloys were Ropey too.

Dealer was absolutely shocking barely interested so I left shortly afterwards. Had no intention of letting me test drive and didn’t want my part ex either.

The search continues.

My 180 is on the market if you are interest. It’s mot was done a week past Friday along with a service with particular attention to checking for the ERG issue folks talk about.

So whats the consensus guys, should I be asking for a compression test and oil sampling, or just a compression test?

At the end of the day, I know its a risk, but I cant afford the 200hp engine on the later models, and I don't want a low powered engine, I had a 2013 VW CC with a 140hp engine and it wasn't particularly quick, and that was of course lighter than a Cali!

Like I said, I'm not expecting it to rival the F Pace, but as I'm going to use it as a daily drive, I don't want a snail.

A look on the Pendle website suggests I can squeeze 205hp out of a 180 engine, but only 180 out of a 140. I guess I might need a DSG remap I'll cross that bridge when I come to it, as I've never driven a DSG equipped VW it will be a learning curve (I really like the Jag auto box)

I'd like 4Motion too, but there doesn't seem to be many about!
I can’t help feeling you are going to be very disappointed with the driving experience.
It’s a VW Transporter at the end of the day.

I can’t help feeling you are going to be very disappointed with the driving experience.
I’m not expecting a sports car, just don’t want it to handle like a transit (my only other van driving experience). Are my expectations too high?

Went to look at a 2007 4motion today but by the time I’d gotten there it had sold!

The search continues.

I’m not expecting a sports car, just don’t want it to handle like a transit (my only other van driving experience). Are my expectations too high?

Went to look at a 2007 4motion today but by the time I’d gotten there it had sold!

The search continues.
Somebody was once going from an X5 and I thought they’re over optimistic but an F Pace is supposed to handle like a hot hatch.

Mine is a 173bhp T5 2wd and I recently spent about £1100 on Koni shock absorbers (other thread). It’s pretty fast for overtaking but the handling is still nothing like my Golf Gti. It’s a big heavy van.

Somebody was once going from an X5 and I thought they’re over optimistic but an F Pace is supposed to handle like a hot hatch.

Mine is a 173bhp T5 2wd and I recently spent about £1100 on Koni shock absorbers (other thread). It’s pretty fast for overtaking but the handling is still nothing like my Golf Gti. It’s a big heavy van.
I’m not particularly a boy racer or petrol head. I’ve only had the F Pace in sport mode a handful of times. I prefer a steady pace with a comfortable ride and driving position.

What I do like is torque and power in reserve should I need it.

I’m sure I’ll know how I’ll get on with one once I’ve test driven one (Still no joy on that front!)

So whats the consensus guys, should I be asking for a compression test and oil sampling, or just a compression test?

At the end of the day, I know its a risk, but I cant afford the 200hp engine on the later models, and I don't want a low powered engine, I had a 2013 VW CC with a 140hp engine and it wasn't particularly quick, and that was of course lighter than a Cali!

Like I said, I'm not expecting it to rival the F Pace, but as I'm going to use it as a daily drive, I don't want a snail.

A look on the Pendle website suggests I can squeeze 205hp out of a 180 engine, but only 180 out of a 140. I guess I might need a DSG remap I'll cross that bridge when I come to it, as I've never driven a DSG equipped VW it will be a learning curve (I really like the Jag auto box)

I'd like 4Motion too, but there doesn't seem to be many about!
See I think it’s funny you want the peace of mind yet are talking about modifying. Next you’ll want me to give you a 3 yr warranty. I’ll do a compression test and oil check on mine but you would have to pay for it including my time and guarantee any work including replacement of the glow plugs for 12mths.

See I think it’s funny you want the peace of mind yet are talking about modifying. Next you’ll want me to give you a 3 yr warranty. I’ll do a compression test and oil check on mine but you would have to pay for it including my time and guarantee any work including replacement of the glow plugs for 12mths.
It’s ok, I have no intention of buying yours, so don’t worry about it.

I'm often a critic of how slowly the. Cali has evolved since 2004, but having owned many (now back to a 2006), I would say the handling DID get better as the versions changed, and I don't think it's explained by greater wear in the higher mileage examples. So if handling is a priority, maybe go as late as you can.

I'm often a critic of how slowly the. Cali has evolved since 2004, but having owned many (now back to a 2006), I would say the handling DID get better as the versions changed, and I don't think it's explained by greater wear in the higher mileage examples. So if handling is a priority, maybe go as late as you can.
Thanks, that’s good advice. Having now looked at a few (but not yet driven one) I can certainly see the later models feel more “car like” when sat in the drivers seat.

The 204HP 4Mo is no slouch. It's not going to attack corners like a car but neither would you want to. Hit a roundabout at 30mph and stuff is going to go flying. In most other respects the handling is quite similar. Very civilised, sure footed and an acceptable amount of roll for a 3 ton van with stiffened ARB's. Steering is precise and light. I would also suggest getting the newest version you can afford or put 1-2 grand aside for some suspension upgrades (bushings, springs, shocks).

I’m not particularly a boy racer or petrol head. I’ve only had the F Pace in sport mode a handful of times. I prefer a steady pace with a comfortable ride and driving position.

What I do like is torque and power in reserve should I need it.

I’m sure I’ll know how I’ll get on with one once I’ve test driven one (Still no joy on that front!)
FWIW I have had as my last 2 cars Audi A4 190bhp and Audi Q3 Quattro Sportline 190 bhp.
Now my daily driver is T6 150 bhp Ocean 2018 dsg.
Am I disappointed by lack of power, No
Can I still enjoy spirited driving, yes within limits of tyres and standard suspension.
Am I overtaken all day long, No
Can I keep up with traffic flow in most conditions, yes
Overtaking an issue, no and if I need it sport mode gives a bit more “get up and go”.

Get a good few hours test drive under your belt and then decide 140, 150, 180, 199 or 204 bhp will meet your requirements.

Test drove and put the deposit on this beaut today, I pick it up sometime next week. T5.1 SE 180ps with DSG. Already looking at loads of stuff to buy!

Thanks to those who offered advice in this thread. Looking forwards to joining the Cali life.

2937A237-FAF9-448F-BBAD-3F4590A98878.jpeg