Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Would you use your Cali as daily driver?

We use it as an ordinary car, several times a week.

It's clearly down to personal choice but we have only one 'car' and it's the Cali. IT's reliable, gives a good drivers view, is very flexible, with care you can carry lengths of wood and heavy loads if need be. Very comfortable, especially for long distances and fits most car park parks. In fact it's height is no greater than many Land Rovers so parking is not a problem.bThere is just two of us and , well, it's brilliant!

We have the Cali and another small car my wife uses. Since a change of jobs only use the Cali from Friday to Sunday. I measure the mileage as such.
If anyone asks it’s smiles per gallon that is more important to me

The Cali certainly gives me that, after all we are a long time dead

I have a Cali and Mrs S2 has a Panda 4x4. I use the panda for small jaunts but if it’s not free I take the Cali. I have no qualms about using it as a daily. It’s VW’s proven staple 2.0 diesel used across their platform so no real reason why it should be treated differently than in a Golf, Passat Transporter or Crafter is there??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Um, to give a balanced view. I intended for it to be a daily driver but got frustrated at parking, wallowing in corners, poor mpg, poor headlights etc and general downsides of a diesel for short journeys. Tried to get Mrs jaunty to use it as a daily driver as I no longer wanted to, but she finds it too cumbersome. For instance at the supermarket you have to find an end parking...otherwise it’s just to wide even with the sliding door. We have 3 door opening dents along the one side to give an example. Maybe it’s just living in the south east? It’s certainly doable but still a compromise.

is it good or bad to use your Cali as a car substitute - ie aside from trips is it going to harm the value if used for say 7000 miles per year general use?
[/QUOT
I use mine for all my driving needs, as it is the only vehicle I have.

It is very suitable on the day to day Dring !

Go for it

is it good or bad to use your Cali as a car substitute - ie aside from trips is it going to harm the value if used for say 7000 miles per year general use?

Its good!!! We have our California for many years as our only car. No problem :)

Trying to get my four vehicles in a row is never going to happen. However here is the new one (Disco V8 is behind)IMG_20190904_121452.jpg

Last edited:
Definitely use it but keep to the service schedule, the base vechicle is designed to stand high mileages.
Ours was new in January and has now done over 9000 miles; mostly on long runs; it is well "run in" does 35mpg or better depending on how heavy your right foot is! 199 DSG 4 Motion!
Our other transport is a T4 Caravelle bought nearly new in 2003 (ex demonstrator ) has now done nearly 250k doesn't use oil and goes really well we wouldn't swap it for a new one as it does everything we need it for

Define use?

39,000 miles in 4years for the Cali. I will add another 800miles at the end of Sept. 17,000 miles in the V8 (owned 3yrs). 27,000 miles in PHEV (mostly elec in 4yrs). The CH-R is new but sort of replaces a JCW (6000 miles in 20months)

Fun to read

Dear @Dipps did you get an impression of all kind of pro/cons for the daily use?
Hope you choose California anyway!

Happy camping!

I didn't buy it just to give the next guy an immaculate second-hand purchase.
Yes, I don't see much point in limiting your own use and enjoyment of a great vehicle just in the hope of getting a higher resale value.

I sold my car when I bought my Cali in January 2015; then it had 19k on the clock, now it is 91k! I have loved every mile in it including four 5 week trips to France & Spain without missing a beat. There are no drawbacks to using it as a daily vehicle, it's small enough to park easily and good for shopping and carrying kids stuff to Uni and back. I don't worry about the miles - they are HAPPY MILES!

Ours is used as a second vehicle, not every day, cycling and hire cars for work travel limit that. We made a conscious choice 18 months ago to move from 2 cars and a van to a car and a van. Our previous T5 conversion would sometimes spend a couple of weeks on the drive between uses which I don't think did it much good..binding brake caller etc.
So I wouldn't hesitate in recommending daily driver use.

A. Very good thread. I think everyone can use their Cali how they want to.
Personally
I use it as my daily driver 20k miles a year - as I bought from new I just couldn’t afford to have a £70k vehicle only used for camping trips or weekend in (I’m my case) and left on the drive.

Some very good opinions and Alternatives well stated :thumb :thumb :thumb

One benefit of an electric hybrid car...... driving into work at 3.30am and not waking the neighbours with the clatty of a diesel

My Beach is my only car. All city trips are by bike unless the weather is bad, then public transportation. The Cali only goes on trips outside Barcelona, to the tune of 26,000km in the last 12 months.

Our Beach is our main family bus for the 5 of us but for local trips when im on my own or if there is only 4 of us, I can't walk past our Up GTi!! Love it.

I used to have a nice 1989 T3 California (high roof) which I only used for a month a year on holiday. After a few years, the idea of having a vehicle doing nothing (and costing insurance, parking, maintenance etc) for 11 months seemed pretty stupid. So I sold the T3 and my BMW 3 daily driver three years ago.

Since then I clocked 60K km with my 150HP DSG Ocean. If you pay so much for a Cali, why wouldn't you use it every day. It drives great and it's not too big around town.

I use mine as my daily, but being retired don't need it that much as we do have another car. Be aware that some insurers who think it is a motorhome put quite low restrictions on mileage and don't allow you to drive another car third party or have any business use, even commuting. I went with Aviva with 12000miles and they were fine with business use and driving other vehicles.

Back