Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Would you use your Cali as daily driver?

Dipps

Dipps

VIP Member
Vehicle
Looking to buy
is it good or bad to use your Cali as a car substitute - ie aside from trips is it going to harm the value if used for say 7000 miles per year general use?

Plenty of people on here do and I would if I didn’t work from home. Whenever we go anywhere, we always go in the Cali. It’s a commercial vehicle underneath and it’s designed to do very high mileage in short periods. Just buy one, use it, enjoy it and don’t worry: you won’t regret it.

Edit: we’ve done 16000 miles in 12 months and it doesn’t worry me in the slightest as we’ve have great adventures and it brings a smile to my face each time I use it.

Last edited:
If you are concerned about the use maybe not the vehicle for you. The California in any version is ideal as a daily drive (as long as you remember diesel vehicles are not designed for short journeys). No point in spending 60K if you do not use it.

Mine’s a daily drive. 12 miles each way. Total mileage averaging about 14k mi per year. Not worried very much about effect of mileage on residual. FSH and keeping the bodywork/interior nice more important IMO. Expecting to keep van 10years.

caliventures364847572.wordpress.com

Daily driver for me too. Can’t imagine life without it now. Normal cars seem so impractical and limited.

My wife uses ours daily, we don’t do many miles, maybe 10k max per year. It’s a great car for shopping and for putting the kids in with all their gear. Only time we use our smaller car is if we are heading into town and want to park on street, California is fine for this but bit easier in our smaller car. Sometimes I also take the smaller car if I’m on my own as the fuel economy is better but really I’d rather be driving the California!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine is my only car, but it still only averages 600 miles a month. Personally I don't think mileage makes that much difference to future value, and I didn't buy it just to give the next guy an immaculate second-hand purchase.

I'd also choose a higher mileage used van over one 'that hadn't done enough'.

Daily drive and around 15k a year - I think if you use it for high days and holidays you just as well hire one.

It's our daily transport. Enjoy it!!

I've just put 3,500 miles on our Ocean in the last 10 days to the Bornholm meet: Geneva - UK - Bornholm and return. Great for long distance trips, didn't miss a beat and also very happily using it as daily driver.

I had a similar concern re using as a daily driver - I average 25-30k all over East England.
On balance the Cali has been brilliant and surpassed my expectations.
Pros
Great driving position high up
Very comfortable driving position esp seat
200 bhp engine is effortless for long journeys (others will confirm 150 is also v good)
Led headlights are great for night driving
Dsg makes town driving relaxing and radar cruise control is stress busting on long journeys.

To balance there are some cons
Some multi story are parks under2m can restrict town centre parking
The Cali rolls and wallows sometimes in corners (it’s a heavy van in ocean spec)
Stopping and moving off are an acquired skill using dsg

Overall its brilliant- it’s a diesel vandesigned to be used regularly and also designed to do 200k (look st the manytransporters for sale with this mileage).
:thumb :thumb :thumb

I would have to say no (due to a new car turning up today)

14,000 miles per year. Until recently our only car. We have recently bought a Skoda Citigo for short local journeys, and now expect ~9,000 miles per year in our Beach and ~5,000 miles per year in the Citigo.

Our Beach will still be the family car of choice.

If you don’t use your camper it a daily drive, you should get a bigger camper than a Cali.

Back