Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Would you use your Cali as daily driver?

If you don’t use your camper it a daily drive, you should get a bigger camper than a Cali.
unless you don't have a dedicated spot where to park it, or you like the agility and speed over a big white

Agreed. Plus you also lose the flexibility. You might just want a "day van"

Well it will comes down to personal choice and there will always be some exceptions, but if you’ve ever camped in say a Westfalia Joker vs a Cali, then you’d understand. Separate kitchen and bathroom (dressing) areas, no faffing with toppers trying to keep the van warm, dry, quiet; the ability to stand up in it without having to raise the roof (when stopping at services for eg),......all that and more for just an extra 12” in length, same width.
But the height, extra length and fixed layout means it’s not really a vehicle to nip to the shops in, or go to work in. Both of which are perfect in a Cali.

I’ve been there and done the comparisons. I’ve chosen a Cali but it’s my only vehicle but it is a poor camper in comparison.

The suggestion that if people don't use their Calis as daily drives then they should buy a bigger camper is (I was going to say stupid) but will be polite and say unfounded
Well you said it! The OP is new and is looking for advice. I’m assuming he might want advice rather than another example of confirmation bias, and if his circumstances are different, his feelings won’t be too hurt.

Last edited:
I
Well you said it! The OP is new and is looking for advice. I’m assuming he might want advice rather than another example of confirmation bias.
I have no clue what you are saying dude, you lost me ages ago so best to end now You win :headbang

I

I have no clue what you are saying dude, you lost me ages ago so best to end now You win :headbang
I’ll try and help.
It’s a forum where people come for advice.
When a new member asks a question, I’m trying to help THEM.
If my advice to the new member doesn’t accord with YOUR view of the world, I frankly couldn’t give two figs.

My daily vehicle for short and long drives. We have a small i10 and a VW sharan but out of choice I always use the California.

The i10 feels too low and although it is a small car being short I find it difficult to get in and out of it, my feet do not touch the ground easily from the drivers seat due to wide sill. The door is difficult to open and close as my arms are short too. Oh the fun of being only 5ft. The van is easier it seems to fit people of any size.

The sliding door is so useful in car parks. I always have space to put on a mac before getting out when raining. It is also a great taking point, lots of people say what a great vehicle. Mainly I like the visibility and comfort.

We could have left this but NO, Your right people come here for advice so why did you state.
"If you don’t use your camper it a daily drive, you should get a bigger camper than a Cali."

I think I got the Jist of it, So the answer to the original poster should have been Use it in anyway you want. not I had a Joker and know everything so if you don't use your Cali everyday buy a bigger van....
One thing though. You have helped me. Due to this bout of posting tennis my score has gone up, I will be at 800 before you know it, so thanks Dude.

I don't like Figs they give me gas.

Now come back with the last word and we can drop it for good.

We could have left this but NO, Your right people come here for advice so why did you state.
"If you don’t use your camper it a daily drive, you should get a bigger camper than a Cali."

I think I got the Jist of it, So the answer to the original poster should have been Use it in anyway you want. not I had a Joker and know everything so if you don't use your Cali everyday buy a bigger van....
One thing though. You have helped me. Due to this bout of posting tennis my score has gone up, I will be at 800 before you know it, so thanks Dude.

I don't like Figs they give me gas.

Now come back with the last word and we can drop it for good.
I think you’ve just made my point more beautifully than I could ever have hoped to.

Daily driver for us. 15k per year, I totally agree that if you don't use it you may as well buy something else. It's a lot of money to have sitting on the drive for 80% of the year . They need to be used, it's so sad when you see ones for sale that are three years old with less than 5k miles on it, what's the point ?

I would have to disagree with use as a daily driver or buy something else.

Turn it another way. Why do I want to take 4 dogs out in a 60k car in the rain / mud, park it in a quiet, off-road spot somewhere and return to it 5hrs later hoping that all is okay? Hence I have a 14year old Landrover.

Similarly, why do I want to take my 60k pride and joy back and forth to work 4x a day (2.5mile) round trip? Park it in a communal car park with WBAC next door (20 to 30 cars a day visiting). Take it to muddy construction sites with construction debris. Hence I now have my Wife's PHEV Outlander.

Lastly, my Wife has a 24mile work commute. Again a communal car park. She could take the Cali but her Outlander has a few dents (I'm more careful). She now has a CH-R. Smaller car.

Now admittable my car policy has gone amiss (as of yesterday with the arrival of the CH-R) and I may amalgamate the Landrover and Outlander into an XC90 T8. However I'm keen not to spend another 30k+ on a car this year.

Not our daily drive. Got it with 94k km back in 2015 and now 175k km on the clock. Use it as often as we can. Had/have two other cars for work. Although talking about selling the station car and keeping the Fabia. However: The California is a superb daily drive and just makes us smile and giggle when driving and sitting in it and our opinion is: It's all about that!

The Beach will be my work van Monday to Friday.

My Amarok as done 48K in 4.5 years, so expect to do the same business miles with Beach..

Daily driver for us. 15k per year, I totally agree that if you don't use it you may as well buy something else. It's a lot of money to have sitting on the drive for 80% of the year . They need to be used, it's so sad when you see ones for sale that are three years old with less than 5k miles on it, what's the point ?
Just a thought, but don't you think its down to personal choice? Not just me but if an individual decides to buy a Cali and only use it for leisure purposes aren't they are entitled too? Why do others think its perfectly acceptable to say if not used as a daily driver its a waste or buy a bigger van. We do use our van but when we decide.
Its like me saying if you use a Cali every day you will wear it out, so buy something smaller, watch out for the Cali Police :Iamsorry I give up.

Just a thought, but don't you think its down to personal choice? Not just me but if an individual decides to buy a Cali and only use it for leisure purposes aren't they are entitled too? Why do others think its perfectly acceptable to say if not used as a daily driver its a waste or buy a bigger van. We do use our van but when we decide.
Its like me saying if you use a Cali every day you will wear it out, so buy something smaller, watch out for the Cali Police :Iamsorry I give up.
One of our reasons for buying a second car was that the Cali really is not suitable for city life. Probably >75% of our car journeys are under 5 miles.

Although I should point out that the overriding reason for a second car was to reduce arguments over who would have the car and who would go by bus, train or bike.

I use mine for daily use, less than 7000 m per year inc. camping trips. Wife has the ‘family car’ for her journeys etc. I am now retired and it is a good compromise and works well for us.

is it good or bad to use your Cali as a car substitute - ie aside from trips is it going to harm the value if used for say 7000 miles per year general use?
I’ve used my as my only vehicle since 2010 (2008 from new)
I’m on 140k miles now, never had a problem as my main transport, probably better as it always there for accommodation for an impromptu night away!

Just sold my car to help buy a Cali, it’s defo the daily now!

Interesting thread - I run a VW UP to save using the Cali but I am now thinking is this really required?.. it’s a balance I guess as I wouldn’t recommend using a Cali on lots of short journeys. However, I tend to agree a well looked after Cali with higher mileage is every bit as attractive if not more. Great commentary again - thanks

Definitely a good daily driver. As someone else said, it’s a choice though. Nothing wrong with having a run around at the same time, but we’ve used ours as the main vehicle for everything. I don’t know for sure how much value you could retain by keeping your mileage low and whether that’s enough to justify an additional car.

If your question was whether it’s reasonable to change you current daily driver for a Cali, absolutely! They drive like cars, not a van, they can be parked in normal spaces(except some parking garages), the elevated drive position is great especially in traffic, fuel consumption is reasonable considering, kids are further away from you (only kidding, we love hearing ours), easy to load shopping etc.

Back