Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Wrong colour seats arrived and VW beach petrol DSG.....

If it was me i'd keep it , use it , debate with VW in the meanwhile and see what comes out .
Letting the Cali go you'l end up losing your dream....

ps .... with no extra cost to yourself, also try crying in front of the dealer and his customers ..... it defo works ;)

Thanks for th input.

To answer some of above, yes it is whole interior. I would have preferred outside to be a different colour as mentioned above. My gripe is if I reorder I’m out of pocket.

Mentions of being brave with petrol are inaccurate and off point. There are reasons for ordering petrol for me but I agree it’s not for everyone. But that’s a different debate.

I have decided to cancel and do without a van. It was a massive decision to order and one I have thought about for over 10 years. We already have trips booked in Europe with the van but now it’s a tent and a camp fire in a old car. I’m fed up with the situation and can’t afford (and not be annoyed by) the extra few thousand on re ordering the same van.
No matter what you decide Good luck and safe travelling. Pity VW messed up.

Soulstyledevon: Hi can I sk where that Avatar picture was taken it looks like the campsite on the road to the Zermatt Cable Car/Train Station?

It’s Italy, just the other side of the Mont Blanc tunnel. Up a hill to your right. Great views from there.

I know where you mean though. I camped there about 6 years ago. We think that was our first Euro trip in the California.
Great little site, handy for Zermatt.

3171748E-ED71-47FB-AE2E-F33B18296EEC.jpeg

Any petrol and in Jersey (so without expense of VAT)

Ask yourself. Could you live with it, for the right price...?
Might be worth haggling with the dealership. Can’t imagine many people there buy campervans

It’s Italy, just the other side of the Mont Blanc tunnel. Up a hill to your right. Great views from there.

I know where you mean though. I camped there about 6 years ago. We think that was our first Euro trip in the California.
Great little site, handy for Zermatt.

View attachment 29657

Yes I have stayed in Courmayour too great little spot.

You say you're going to be considerably out of pocket but I'd ring around a few dealers and get the best price on a new order as you said you only managed a 3% discount on the original price you paid from list? That will go some way to trade-off the price rise.

If you reject it you get the right spec, and they sell on a "cancelled customer order"
If you keep it just work through whether it'll annoy you every time you get in it or whether you can live with it (for whatever deal you secure from the dealer).

If you are rejecting the vehicle though you need to be clear and explicit as ISTR there are specific deadlines.

Good luck.

If I am honest I would happily swap my light grey interior for the darker interior.
We had the darker Alcantara interior in our Carevelle Exec, we had it from new kept it nearly 5 years.
It was unmarked when we sold it, even with at least 2 x France hols every year, 4 kids, dogs. Kids being sick
over the seats ect !!! It was very forgiving. My light grey interior (cloth) in the Beach is not as forgiving sadly.

Thanks for th input.

To answer some of above, yes it is whole interior. I would have preferred outside to be a different colour as mentioned above. My gripe is if I reorder I’m out of pocket.

Mentions of being brave with petrol are inaccurate and off point. There are reasons for ordering petrol for me but I agree it’s not for everyone. But that’s a different debate.

I have decided to cancel and do without a van. It was a massive decision to order and one I have thought about for over 10 years. We already have trips booked in Europe with the van but now it’s a tent and a camp fire in a old car. I’m fed up with the situation and can’t afford (and not be annoyed by) the extra few thousand on re ordering the same van.

I don't get it - seems very rash to think about it for ten years (without trying one first?) and then say "...oh well, I'll just cancel (a £60k (?) purchase) and go in a car and tent..."

:confused: :(

Just buy a used one for the summer, see how you get on and it you like it great - keep it - or sell it if you want to order a new one. If you don't like it then still sell it.

It's not difficult - with a little patience, homework and buying the right van at the right price and putting more effort into tidying up any little niggles and putting together a better sales ad than the person you bought it from to do this every year, have a van for the summer and then sell on at the end of the summer and actually make money. ;)

No matter what you decide Good luck and safe travelling. Pity VW messed up.

Thanks for the advice on here on various posts. I’ve actually cooled down a bit from mid day and am working on a solution. The dealership has always been good and mistakes happen. Will either wait patiently for order as agreed or if enough incentive will take current van. Will email VW main people and just to see there take on it as not entirely sure who’s at fault (although I know it’s on my order form from dealer). Thanks for everyone who gave advice, very much appreciated!

To the post above (Max), thanks for your comments, good points. I will explain further.... I have been considering buying a VW (plus plus money) for about 10 years but during this time have been in a Bedford rascal with single bed in back and then a susuki carry with single bed in back (both very cheap but effective). Now I’m a bit older and family I need more space and managed to get some money together. It will be I hope a forever van so don’t plan on buying and swapping. But yes, as you say, it was a bit rash to suddenly change plans! Shouldn’t go on forums if cross (or drunk) i suppose. Cheers.

Will email VW main people and just to see there take on it as not entirely sure who’s at fault (although I know it’s on my order form from dealer). Thanks for everyone who gave advice, very much appreciated!

Good - you are doing the right thing.

These things have happened before and have been reported on this forum. I recall someone ordering 4 motion and after waiting 6(?) months the van turned up as ordered minus the 4 motion.

I think there are two reasonable fixes:

1. Keep the vehicle until a replacement can be built. You will then have about 3 months' free use of the van.
2. As it is not the van you ordered, buy it with a typical pre-reg discount, up to 15% off list price. If £60,000 is the list price, £9,000 is huge compensation for the wrong interior. We have the darker interior and love it, albeit brightened with Jackyards' seat covers.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

I think your dream is clouding your judgement here.

If you ordered a mini with a red interior would you accept it
in blue ?
Cancel the order, get one or two of your mates to go to the dealer
interested in a test drive, your now new cali is then x demo.
And you go and buy it 3 weeks later at a good price.

Get some quality seat covers on, and your done.

^ Clever but I have to say again I have had 2004 Tan/Blue/Stripe then 2011 Light Grey & finally 2017 Dark Grey and the later Dark Grey is just so much nicer/classier.

I feel for you jerseyroberts if you stick to your guns you should be able to negotiate using the wrong spec van until they replace yours, no extra cost it’s there mistake not yours. There’s been various cases of this subject on this forum Have a look and go back to your dealer armed with the information. Good luck stay strong and it’ll come good.

As long as you do not accept the vehicle (don't take possession) I would speak to the dealer principle at the garage and explain your disappointment and ask what they will do. The interior colour is a mistake but not their fault it seems so from my discussion with a highly qualified legal friend goodwill is required as he thinks you would not have any recourse through the law. To insist on a substitute vehicle would be down to the dealers ability to negotiate with VWCS and VWCS accepting some responsibility.

Through no fault of your own you have been left disappointed and we all feel for you but I think your options are limited.

Last edited:
If it was me I would put the waterproof seat covers on try and negotiate at least 10 % off and take delivery now and enjoy it :happy

Can relate to this...just been through 3 months of pain over a mistake on the build of my Beach. Finally agreed a re-order at no extra cost to me this week and order for new van now in.

My problem was (arguably) smaller than yours but I decided I couldn't live with the missing feature so dug my heals in.

I would advise going for reorder if you can get it. Make sure you log a formal case with VWCS if there is any chance there was an error at factory - this will help as financial loss will not be on the dealer.

Happy to chat if you want more info on the process I've been through and arguments made to get the outcome I wanted.

It does hurt on a purchase like this when things aren't perfect...(I haven't even posted on here for fear of me ranting uncontrollably)...but you should be positive about getting it sorted.

Steve

Wise words steve39. I also went through the same process I also didn’t bring it to the forum as I’d have no doubt ranted some things I’d have regretted. I got a bit of good cop bad cop between dealer and VWCS but firm and fair won the day.

I ordered the dark colour seats / trim but when it turned up it was in moonrock grey - I was disappointed but the light grey did look much nicer - however I was concerned it wouldn't stand up to dogs / kids. So I decided to keep it and VW paid me £1500 to buy the posh seat covers. Best of both world for me as I like the light coloured trim and the seats are safe

This site is fantastic. Thanks for all the advice and support, it’s amazing how helpful you all are....

So the outcome.... dealer helpful and with a little persuasion offered around 12.5% off the previously agreed price of van.

Everything else I ordered was correct and I’m happy to say the van has been registered today and I am due to pick it up tomorrow.

Whilst Black seats were not my initial choice and I still would change if I could, the saving has made the van more affordable and we can use the money saved for holidays. Also, we have two young children who love mud/sand/mess so it might be a good thing going with the darker seats.

Thanks again,

This site is fantastic. Thanks for all the advice and support, it’s amazing how helpful you all are....

So the outcome.... dealer helpful and with a little persuasion offered around 12.5% off the previously agreed price of van.

Everything else I ordered was correct and I’m happy to say the van has been registered today and I am due to pick it up tomorrow.

Whilst Black seats were not my initial choice and I still would change if I could, the saving has made the van more affordable and we can use the money saved for holidays. Also, we have two young children who love mud/sand/mess so it might be a good thing going with the darker seats.

Thanks again,
Don't forget to update your profile page! :pinkbanana

Thanks again,
Well done. You’ll soon forget this debacle. Now get planning your adventures.

Back