Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Xenons and Fogs fitted

Thats good.

What I actually meant was does the Boxster have washers fitted before new owner takes delivery ?[/quote]

If you look in the manual - it says HID (Xenons) have a legal requirement in most EU countries of auto levelling.

Headlamp Wash - not so - even though most car makers have offered it as part of a combined package - so there is no reason for Porsche to (at the moment) offer headlamp wash with Xenons - you are probably right the dealer offers them or they will have to offer them in the future.

James

Stu said:
I'm assuming it'll need painting too so that's quite an expense. I've been looking at reversing camera's but you need another lock handle grip which is about £60 plus painting on top of the rest of it.

Stu

You are correct :) I had the fog surrounds painted as well - although I was tempted to keep them black.

As i said - not cheap - but not oh god...

To be honest I was just going to get the auto levelling done but it wasn't too bad for the headlamp wash

I'd be alright with the handle - being Sunny Yellow VW don't paint the plastic bits like that :)

James

James, just looked at your photos again I do like headlights with LEd DLRs. They look excellent.
I'm tempted, but not cheap & don't think I can justify as I don't do a lot of night time driving.

That said they would have been useful in Portugal last March, driving on mountain roads in the dark but slowly which annoyed everyone else. Tuff I made it in one piece !

<cheapskate mode on>
I wonder if we can get some plastic headlight covers painted up to look like LED jobbies. You can just take them off at night then <cheapskate mode off/>

Andy said:
James, just looked at your photos again I do like headlights with LEd DLRs. They look excellent.
I'm tempted, but not cheap & don't think I can justify as I don't do a lot of night time driving.

That said they would have been useful in Portugal last March, driving on mountain roads in the dark but slowly which annoyed everyone else. Tuff I made it in one piece !

Andy

You can't justify the cost - the cost of them would buy a ton of camping gear - lots of things more useful.

I got them because I could afford them and that's not an idle boast, I have the van because I lost my mum at xmas - so whenever I drive around the van I am always reminded that I have the van because my mum isn't here.

I also got them because my Dad lives in St Ive's and driving round Cornwall I thought it would be nice and safer. I am not the most experienced driver so anything that helps me - the better.

They do look fantastic and driving home from work today I caught a couple in a slammed 90's Polo having a look at them.

What I would suggest - is the corner fogs - well worth the money and investment.

:)

James

Andy said:

Andy

You can't justify the cost - the cost of them would buy a ton of camping gear - lots of things more useful.

They do look fantastic and driving home from work today I caught a couple in a slammed 90's Polo having a look at them.

What I would suggest - is the corner fogs - well worth the money and investment.

:)

James

Sorry to hear you lost your mum, not good at best of times but at Xmas is even worse.

I got them because I could afford them

Yes I can as well, but I still have to justify it in my head. I can appreciate driving in Cornwall these will make a vast difference !!

The Cali has these on it & yes they make a difference.

Andy said:
Sorry to hear you lost your mum, not good at best of times but at Xmas is even worse.

I got them because I could afford them

Yes I can as well, but I still have to justify it in my head. I can appreciate driving in Cornwall these will make a vast difference !!

The Cali has these on it & yes they make a difference.

lol - that's the difficult part - justifying it - they are a very expensive retrofit addition

Yeah it was tough of xmas - mum suddenly ill - then it was cancer and when it is advanced you have a few weeks. Nothing can null that loss - but she left some money and we kind of put it into Betty - having driven round in a T25 that had become a labour of love - it was a once in a lifetime chance to own something nice and that we had dreamed of. So for me - there is always a cost with Betty but in the same sense I know it would have made mum smile.

Sounds a bit cliche and mawkish I know... :)

Back to the Xenons - I am not a 'bling fan' - I am not actually a fan of modified vans - they normally look awful - but the Xenons do look fabulous - those daytime LED lights look so stylish.

James

Cancer is areal downer, been there in our family as well.

there is always a cost with Betty but in the same sense I know it would have made mum smile.

That made me smile !

I am not a 'bling fan'

Nope me neither, if it's on there it has to do something !

That said I was thinking about side bars....... don't do anything unless you are a plonker & hit a concrete bollard !!

Andy

Thank you

That's the annoying thing - I got the Xenons because I thought it would be a useful addition - you know, I hadn't got silly and gone for side bars or big alloys.

I got them to add an element of safety and style to the van and lo and behold and just my luck a whole heap of other stuff has to go with them lol.

I was actually trying to be a bit serious and not silly :(

I may as well have got the Bi Colour Dakar Alloys or kitted it out as an Edition 25 lol

I will also add - I am painfully aware how these forum posts can come across and there was no element of showing off about the lights - I did genuinely want people to see them - so if they were thinking about retrofitting I could show them or share experience - boy - hasn't that come true lol.

James

Andy said:
If you order the new Porsche Boxster, it can arrive in the UK with Xenon headlights, but without headlamp washers!!

Are headlamp washers fitted at dealers before delivery ?

Nope, they are delivered as is!

Really sorry to hear about your mum James, love your thinking behind buying the van. I do stuff like that, I have a car that my dad owned, that I will always keep.

The xenons look great and I really want them now, although its interesting what you said about having silly side bars and bi colours dakar wheels, as I have both :mrgreen:

Rilla said:
Andy said:
If you order the new Porsche Boxster, it can arrive in the UK with Xenon headlights, but without headlamp washers!!

Are headlamp washers fitted at dealers before delivery ?

Nope, they are delivered as is!

Really sorry to hear about your mum James, love your thinking behind buying the van. I do stuff like that, I have a car that my dad owned, that I will always keep.

The xenons look great and I really want them now, although its interesting what you said about having silly side bars and bi colours dakar wheels, as I have both :mrgreen:

Thank you

And I wasn't dissing the choice - they are two things I would love to have the van - I was just saying, I was trying to be a bit more cautious and not get carried away.

The bi colour dakars are a fabulous alloy - and the side bars look lovely :) Believe me I have looked at the accessory catalogue and tried to justify having them fitted :)

The Cali is a handsome vehicle - it does what great German car style always does, it is understated, well proportioned and grows on you.

VW has some great looking cars - take the Polo - at first you think, bit ordinary - but the more you see one the more appreciate what a good looking car it is, it has a real sense of style.

I think the Xenons add to that idea, they sort of frame the front with the LEDS.

I will be at Hollands Wood Meet - so happy to chat aout them.

Yeah, go for it, the wheels are a must to go with your bling headlights :cool:

I'd love to attend the meet, but I think family birthday arrangements are going to prevent it, maybe another time.

I agree on the styling, I personally think my van looks great ;) I also agree with the Polo styling, but as I have never liked VAG group cars, I'm going to stop my comments there.

I have a 61 plate Polo on my drive at the moment, it is probably the slowest car I have ever driven :rofl

Custard said:
What engine is in it????? lol

Don't think it has an engine, my pressure washer has more grunt!

Theres no indication on the car or key tag of what it is. All I can tell you is, it's petrol and I got home from the dealer, parked up and will only drive it again when I need to take it back!

Rilla said:
Custard said:
What engine is in it????? lol

Don't think it has an engine, my pressure washer has more grunt!

Theres no indication on the car or key tag of what it is. All I can tell you is, it's petrol and I got home from the dealer, parked up and will only drive it again when I need to take it back!

:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

Those Xenon's do look goood and sexy james ...in a non sexual kind of way ..... :laugh2

choplee said:
Those Xenon's do look goood and sexy james ...in a non sexual kind of way ..... :laugh2

sexy and non sexual - hmmm.... I felt like about your wind up radio :)

They are almost wasted on a van - saw a Jag XF the other day, big fan of them, recent facelift model and it had daytime LEDS - I honestly thought they were some tacky after market add on - they just had no style about them.

Headlamp wash and levellers soon - bit overkill as I am sure I don't need the headlamp wash but I'll get the van done properly just for peace of mind.

I'm also having the Beach sticker, or one like it made up, the one of the gorgeous white 'Edition 25' Beach. People down your way going to do it if I agree the artwork.

WhiteBeachGrpahic.jpg

James

Stu said:
I'm in the keep them camp too.

I always keep any parts I take off/replace so that they can go back at resale time. The value of your normal lights will be minimal compared to what it would cost you if you had to buy them again.

My Audi was used as the development vehicle for a Milltek Quad Outlet Stainless System -

877.jpg

http://www.millteksport.com/exhaust.pro ... iantid=346

So i now have a full (CAT Back) original system only a matter of weeks old in my loft waiting to go back on should I sell the car :thumb

I swapped out the original radio from the Cali days after it arrived and that resides safely in the loft ready for if it's sold. The RNS510 is worth more to sell separately.

This makes the 3.0TDI unit sound genuinely nice! Wish they did similar for the BMW 35d unit although it sounds fairly good for a diesel.

Cool mod there Custard!

KernowLad said:
Stu said:
I'm in the keep them camp too.

I always keep any parts I take off/replace so that they can go back at resale time. The value of your normal lights will be minimal compared to what it would cost you if you had to buy them again.

My Audi was used as the development vehicle for a Milltek Quad Outlet Stainless System -

877.jpg

http://www.millteksport.com/exhaust.pro ... iantid=346

So i now have a full (CAT Back) original system only a matter of weeks old in my loft waiting to go back on should I sell the car :thumb

I swapped out the original radio from the Cali days after it arrived and that resides safely in the loft ready for if it's sold. The RNS510 is worth more to sell separately.

This makes the 3.0TDI unit sound genuinely nice! Wish they did similar for the BMW 35d unit although it sounds fairly good for a diesel.

Cool mod there Custard!

Thank you very much :)

I have added headlight wash

HeadlightWash.jpg

I have also added the auto levelling and the wash fluid indicator for low wash fluid.

James

Stop flirting you xenons about with their new washers ... Lol :)

choplee said:

The washers are mental - serious spray :)

The auto levelling gives the van a new party trick. If you start up with the lights turned on - the lights dip down to let you know the auto levelling is working.

Hazy Dayz even fitted the blanking plate on the dash where the manual control used to be.

James

Custard said:
choplee said:

The auto levelling gives the van a new party trick. If you start up with the lights turned on - the lights dip down twice to let you know the auto levelling is working.

Hazy Dayz even fitted the blanking plate on the dash where the manual control used to be.

James

You got afew party tricks to show us then James ... You'll be like a peacock strutting about at Norfolk ... Lol lol :)

choplee said:
Custard said:
choplee said:

The auto levelling gives the van a new party trick. If you start up with the lights turned on - the lights dip down twice to let you know the auto levelling is working.

James

You got afew party tricks to show us then James ... You'll be like a peacock strutting about at Norfolk ... Lol lol :)

Lee

In truth - I still have a bit of a poverty spec - no climtronic - no parking heater - no slide window on sliding door.

Also, no auto headlamps and wipers...

For a 30k plus vehicle - you do go without...

The colour DIS still tempts me but I suspect I would be sectioned the moment I purchased it. It's beyond justification and I don't need it.

It's particularly galling when you realise on a new Golf it is something like £130 extra from the factory.

But as VW don't import/sell high end multivans here in the UK - there is no colour DIS for the T5. What's interesting is that the full fat Cali like yours is based on multivan - i would be intrigued if in european markets you can specify colour DIS.

Gareth at Hazy Dayz said they installed one colour DIS to a transporter so far, tempting... But, no, it's almost the price of alloy wheels lol

James

Custard said:
choplee said:

James

They do have some serious spray :thumb They also look really weird when the pop out - Some owners call them "aliens" as they look so strange when they come out to play :lol:

Back