Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Xenons and Fogs fitted

James

James

Top Poster
VIP Member
Much poorer and my budget for mods spent - but static cornering lights (fogs) and xenons fitted.

Look absolutely fantastic and the corner lights a very useful addition.

xenxon3.jpg

xenon5.jpg

BettyXenon2.jpg

BettyXenon1.jpg

I had them done at Hazzydays - very good service - got a loan car for the day and all done by 5 in the afternoon.

I now have a pair of facelift headlights for sale...

James

Grrrrrrrr - I really need those. :boohoo

Look great mate, I'm glad it went ok. Did they do the levellers?

Did they have to change the BCM?

Stu said:
Grrrrrrrr - I really need those. :boohoo

Look great mate, I'm glad it went ok. Did they do the levellers?

Did they have to change the BCM?

I don't think they did the levellers - also, as I said on the phone, no headlight wash and wash fluid level indicator which would come as part of the package if ordered from the factory (it can be done if you wish). I will check with the levellers.

Yes I believe they changed the BCM which is what they waited on - they did a video of the van and it is hopefully going on the website.

I can't justify the money i spent on them - they look gorgeous though and I thought whilst driving round Cornwall with the lights, they are okay, I just felt a bit of extra safety would not go amiss.

I spoke to Gareth at Hazzydayz and they are going to start offering the colour DIS - but I shan't be going there lol

I've also added the VW cool box which is bigger than expected.

James

Hi James

They look great mate but hang onto your old set of lights as you will need them come MOT time

Levellers and washers are a legal requirement with Xenon headlights and they are now checked as part of the MOT due to the amount of aftermarket xenon's available

Just put the old one's back on and you'll be ok :thumb

m4rky said:
Hi James

They look great mate but hang onto your old set of lights as you will need them come MOT time

Levellers and washers are a legal requirement with Xenon headlights and they are now checked as part of the MOT due to the amount of aftermarket xenon's available

Just put the old one's back on and you'll be ok :thumb

Really that's interesting? I know that most cars now with xenons come with headlamp wash facility.

As i understand these rules applied to aftermarket kits and overseas import bulbs etc not factory xenons - as most people putting xenons in their car would not be as silly as me and actually put expensive factory units in. I will have a scout round the net which will probably prove as ever inconclusive!

I have got three years until an MOT lol :)

I actually had a similar light issues on my Vanagon - being an American van I had ot have all the lights changed and as anyone knows - trying to find a good set of RHD T3 lights is really difficult and expensive - also I had to have figs put in the rear lights and the indicators changed - as American vehicles indicators come on as side lights - all very strange :)

Thanks for info though

James

taken from MOT update 2012

The downside of this extra brightness is the potential to cause excessive
dazzle to oncoming traffic. To combat this, HID headlamps often have
advanced electronics that control the shape of the headlamp beam to avoid
dazzle when the car climbs or descends hills and likewise when the vehicle
is accelerating or braking.

Dazzle can also be caused if the lamps are dirty or aimed too high due to,
for example, carrying rear seat passengers and/or heavy items in the boot.
Vehicles with HID headlamps are therefore required to have a headlamp
washing system (a wiper is not required) and be self levelling, which may be
achieved either by the use of either headlamp or suspension levelling
systems.

The presence and operation of these headlamp cleaning and levelling
devices has been added to the test. Therefore, if a mandatory headlamp
levelling or cleaning device is missing, inoperative or otherwise obviously
defective this will be a reason for rejection.

This raises the question of whether these checks apply to vehicles fitted with
after-market HID lighting kits. These kits convert conventional halogen
headlamps to HID Xenon and they are widely sold and fitted to vehicles
used on the road. The Department for Transport considers that after-market
systems should be required to meet the same safety standards as that
applied in respect of these lamps at vehicle Type Approval. Therefore, in
order to pass the MOT test, vehicles fitted with after-market HID systems
would also need to be fitted with headlamp cleaning and self-levelling
systems otherwise this will be a reason for rejection. Some high specification
estate cars are fitted with a self-levelling suspension.

So it may well be that the BCM module will do the light pattern changes, would be good to know, the washer question is out for debate on lots of other sites.

But for the next 3 years these swanky new lights may be dazzling oncoming drivers and in contravention of type approval. In addition you need to declare them as a MOD to the insurance, mainly as they are expensive and the insurance will need to reflect this. But also if you do dazzle someone causing a crash you might be in the stick, if you've not declared the mod you'll be taking out a bank loan to pay.

Custard said:
Really that's interesting? I know that most cars now with xenons come with headlamp wash facility.

As i understand these rules applied to aftermarket kits and overseas import bulbs etc not factory xenons - as most people putting xenons in their car would not be as silly as me and actually put expensive factory units in. I will have a scout round the net which will probably prove as ever inconclusive!

I have got three years until an MOT lol :)

Thanks for info though

James

All factory Xenon's must be supplied with levellers and washers - I'm very surprised Hazzydays didn't let you know this?

My last car was an Audi TT and quite a lot of owners in the TT owners club upgraded to Xenon's via Hazzydays who upgraded every part including the front bumper to make them completely legal

Like you say though it doesn't really matter for another 3 years just hang onto the old units and you will be okay for either the MOT or selling :thumb

This quote is taken from VOSA directive in vehicle lighting

Vehicles with HID headlamps are therefore required to have a headlamp washing system (a wiper is not required) and be self levelling, which may be achieved either by the use of either headlamp or suspension levelling systems.
The presence and operation of these headlamp cleaning and levelling devices has been added to the test. Therefore, if a mandatory headlamp levelling or cleaning device is missing, inoperative or otherwise obviously defective, the vehicle will fail.

Further info can be found here

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repository/t ... ghting.pdf

I intend to declare them to the insurance company.

It's a common mod - for VAG vehicles to have a xenon upgrade. The BCM has been changed and a headlamp wash system can be fitted.

Other forums of all sorts are debating this issue.

I've gone for factory fit options so I feel confident that any probs can be resolved.

I thought they looked quite nice...

James

I'm in the keep them camp too.

I always keep any parts I take off/replace so that they can go back at resale time. The value of your normal lights will be minimal compared to what it would cost you if you had to buy them again.

My Audi was used as the development vehicle for a Milltek Quad Outlet Stainless System -

877.jpg

http://www.millteksport.com/exhaust.pro ... iantid=346

So i now have a full (CAT Back) original system only a matter of weeks old in my loft waiting to go back on should I sell the car :thumb

I swapped out the original radio from the Cali days after it arrived and that resides safely in the loft ready for if it's sold. The RNS510 is worth more to sell separately.

Stu said:
I'm in the keep them camp too.

I always keep any parts I take off/replace so that they can go back at resale time. The value of your normal lights will be minimal compared to what it would cost you if you had to buy them again.

My Audi was used as the development vehicle for a Milltek Quad Outlet Stainless System -

877.jpg

http://www.millteksport.com/exhaust.pro ... iantid=346

So i now have a full (CAT Back) original system only a matter of weeks old in my loft waiting to go back on should I sell the car :thumb

I swapped out the original radio from the Cali days after it arrived and that resides safely in the loft ready for if it's sold. The RNS510 is worth more to sell separately.

Stu

Thank you - I feel a bit stupid but logically - I can just put the old lights back, so I shall hang onto those and if needs be, when it comes to resale I shall or could sell the xenons on their own.

And, although it is more money - both the self levelling and headlamp wash can be added, I guess it depends how silly I am lol.

I am speaking to hazzydays who don't feel it is an MOT prob, so let's see.

I am looking at your Audi :)

James

You've got 3 years before you need to worry about MOT but there is an outside chance that VOSA could want a word with you or perhaps if you went to the EU it might be an issue.

As I said above I really don't think the headlights you have are worth much used as everyone has them already so it would only be to repair a damaged van or something. A very limited audience.

headlights worth a bit to the t5 facelift conversion crowd.

And I do like the look of the new ones you;ve got too, just interested in the view point that the issue is an MOT one and not one of the safety of other road users :(

sebking said:

And I do like the look of the new ones you;ve got too, just interested in the view point that the issue is an MOT one and not one of the safety of other road users :(

I can have auto levelling done it is not such a prob - the headlamp wash may be more difficult - only because of the bumper.

It is clearly an MOT issue - but as I understand it - and I am bound to be corrected here - the auto level is simply there for the hills and the loads in the van.

So, I accept the safety issue here but I will be having the auto levelling done before any serious travelling.

With the normal headlamps there is a guide in the manual about which setting to have the adjuster on depending on what loads you have.

It is well know that the MOT in this country is lax, compared to say the German TUV, I guess more of these regulations will be coming in.

It's common enough for VAG owners to upgrade to Xenons, so I am not too concerned.

As I said, try making an American T25/T3 legal for this country - that was stressful. American lights are really really bright and because it is a leftie the beam are pointing straight into traffic. I also had to add fogs - have the indicators changed and turn off the side lamps above the rear bumper ( a giveaway for identifying any American spec VW Van).

Actually it is one of the things that put me off importing a LHD multivan - the issue of changing the lights and fogs over to RHD.

James

sebking said:

I understand that some people take prefacelift vans and give them the post 2010 look?????? I have heard of this but I am not aware of how difficult it would be and what needs to be changed.

I will hang onto the lights anyway :)

James

Facelift = Lights, bumper, bonnet, front panel. Wings are the same, a bit of jiggery with the wiring.

The self levelling stuff is really getting clever auto adjusting for load but also changing pattern when braking for example,

sebking said:
Facelift = Lights, bumper, bonnet, front panel. Wings are the same, a bit of jiggery with the wiring.

The self levelling stuff is really getting clever auto adjusting for load but also changing pattern when braking for example,

Hazzydays will do - it is on their website - and someone kindly sent me a link to a parts website with bits on so i know roughly how much it costs.

It's sensors on the suspension arms - not quite as simple as that but that's the principle I believe. I will have it done hopefully in the next few weeks.

I am not sure I would go to all the trouble of converting a pre facelift to a facelift

James

Interesting reading this thread, as I was thinking about adding xenons.

I'll throw a spanner into the works here.

If you order the new Porsche Boxster, it can arrive in the UK with Xenon headlights, but without headlamp washers!!

If you order the new Porsche Boxster, it can arrive in the UK with Xenon headlights, but without headlamp washers!!

Are headlamp washers fitted at dealers before delivery ?

Andy said:

I have Betty booked in for the auto levelling and headlamp wash

I can do no more... lol

James

Custard said:

James

:eek: New bumper required???

Have your numbers come up or something?

Custard said:
Andy said:

James

Thats good.

What I actually meant was does the Boxster have washers fitted before new owner takes delivery ?

Stu said:
Custard said:

James

:eek: New bumper required???

Have your numbers come up or something?

Stu

Luckily not - otherwise I would not have bothered - the whole bumper not does need to be replaced - it appears to be in sections.

I am not saying it is cheap - but now I have the Xenons - I kind of have to do it.

James

I'm assuming it'll need painting too so that's quite an expense. I've been looking at reversing camera's but you need another lock handle grip which is about £60 plus painting on top of the rest of it.

Back