Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Xenons and Fogs fitted

Having driven down some very narrow country lanes & dirt tracks in the dark last night I would really have appreciated your xenons ! May have to look into fitting them & cost it up.

Andy said:
Having driven down some very narrow country lanes & dirt tracks in the dark last night I would really have appreciated your xenons ! May have to look into fitting them & cost it up.

It's a lot of 'cost' Andy lol

But people pay hundreds and thousands on accessories and wheels etc... I guess it's what you want.

I did make the point on another thread that the xenons are not just about brighter light but the benefit is really the wider scope of lighting offered - this does make a big big difference to driving.

There's an idea put around that xenons are just about the brightness - this seems to be a way of various companies convincing people that by swapping bulbs you can have the xenon effect. I think bulbs are a great, sensible and worthwhile upgrade but xenon lights are really about how they produce the lighting pattern.

Whether this worth the cost as a retrofit - well, that's down to the individual. :)

If you want to PM me about cost - that's cool. :)

James

Custard said:
The colour DIS still tempts me but I suspect I would be sectioned the moment I purchased it. It's beyond justification and I don't need it.

It's particularly galling when you realise on a new Golf it is something like £130 extra from the factory.

But as VW don't import/sell high end multivans here in the UK - there is no colour DIS for the T5. What's interesting is that the full fat Cali like yours is based on multivan - i would be intrigued if in european markets you can specify colour DIS.

Gareth at Hazy Dayz said they installed one colour DIS to a transporter so far, tempting... But, no, it's almost the price of alloy wheels lol

James

My Edition 25 Caravelle has a colour display, in fact it looks like the same one as in my wifes Edition 35 Golf

BMVS-Camper-Hire said:
Custard said:
The colour DIS still tempts me but I suspect I would be sectioned the moment I purchased it. It's beyond justification and I don't need it.

It's particularly galling when you realise on a new Golf it is something like £130 extra from the factory.

But as VW don't import/sell high end multivans here in the UK - there is no colour DIS for the T5. What's interesting is that the full fat Cali like yours is based on multivan - i would be intrigued if in european markets you can specify colour DIS.

Gareth at Hazy Dayz said they installed one colour DIS to a transporter so far, tempting... But, no, it's almost the price of alloy wheels lol

James

My Edition 25 Caravelle has a colour display, in fact it looks like the same one as in my wifes Edition 35 Golf

Oli - really?

Sad but that's quite exciting - we really need to spend some times with your Ed25.

Colour DIS is available on LHD Cali's - does it give you any extra functions?

I've been led to believe that like so many parts of the T5 it is the same one as the Golf.

James

Yes definitely, and I'm sure its the same as the GTi. I will double check when I'm back into work on Thursday.

Im sure the options are;

Compass, Nav, Computer, Bluetooth, Settings, and one more I cant remember.

You are more than welcome to come and have a look anytime, the kettle is always on

Hey James,

I am just in the process of swapping my beach for another one (long story... I'll explain elsewhere and another time), my new beach is coming out of stock and is a bit of a pick and mix in terms of spec. The one thing that I will really miss are the cornering fog lights, from the title of this post did you also retro fit fogs? and if so do they have the corner function? Really keen to get these on my new beach and it is all looking very complicated. Any advice?

Cheers,

Steve.

Steve, welcome.

The fogs would be a relatively simple fit, the wiring, the fog lights and the new front trims as well as a suitable headlight switch are required -

http://www.kufatec.de/shop/en/Volkswage ... VW-T5-2010

Fogs and grilles would likely be available from eBay or a scrapyard.

There would be a small amount of 'coding' of the BCM (Body Control Module) afterwards.

The cornering function is nothing as trick as moving lamps or lenses it's simply the computer adjusting the brightness in correlation to the steering angle.

If you don't fancy it yourself then HazzyDayz can help -

http://www.hazzydayz.com/genuine-vw-fro ... 2010-p.asp

SteveM said:
Hey James,

I am just in the process of swapping my beach for another one (long story... I'll explain elsewhere and another time), my new beach is coming out of stock and is a bit of a pick and mix in terms of spec. The one thing that I will really miss are the cornering fog lights, from the title of this post did you also retro fit fogs? and if so do they have the corner function? Really keen to get these on my new beach and it is all looking very complicated. Any advice?

Cheers,

Steve.

What he said above Steve ;)

James

Thanks guys ... it was the wiring loom (well a decent quality one at least) I was struggling to find - really appreciate that pointer!

Steve.

sebking said:
taken from MOT update 2012

The downside of this extra brightness is the potential to cause excessive
dazzle to oncoming traffic. To combat this, HID headlamps often have
advanced electronics that control the shape of the headlamp beam to avoid
dazzle when the car climbs or descends hills and likewise when the vehicle
is accelerating or braking.

Dazzle can also be caused if the lamps are dirty or aimed too high due to,
for example, carrying rear seat passengers and/or heavy items in the boot.
Vehicles with HID headlamps are therefore required to have a headlamp
washing system (a wiper is not required) and be self levelling, which may be
achieved either by the use of either headlamp or suspension levelling
systems.

The presence and operation of these headlamp cleaning and levelling
devices has been added to the test. Therefore, if a mandatory headlamp
levelling or cleaning device is missing, inoperative or otherwise obviously
defective this will be a reason for rejection.

This raises the question of whether these checks apply to vehicles fitted with
after-market HID lighting kits. These kits convert conventional halogen
headlamps to HID Xenon and they are widely sold and fitted to vehicles
used on the road. The Department for Transport considers that after-market
systems should be required to meet the same safety standards as that
applied in respect of these lamps at vehicle Type Approval. Therefore, in
order to pass the MOT test, vehicles fitted with after-market HID systems
would also need to be fitted with headlamp cleaning and self-levelling
systems otherwise this will be a reason for rejection. Some high specification
estate cars are fitted with a self-levelling suspension.

So it may well be that the BCM module will do the light pattern changes, would be good to know, the washer question is out for debate on lots of other sites.

But for the next 3 years these swanky new lights may be dazzling oncoming drivers and in contravention of type approval. In addition you need to declare them as a MOD to the insurance, mainly as they are expensive and the insurance will need to reflect this. But also if you do dazzle someone causing a crash you might be in the stick, if you've not declared the mod you'll be taking out a bank loan to pay.

Thank you for the useful post. It makes me clear something about HID.

Hello, I am new to the forum. I'm from Spain and I would like to make the change of xenon my california, I have an equal. Not like sending a private message to friend James or if you can send me an email to tusentrenamientos@+++++++.com to clarify some doubts. Greetings to all.
Captura de región 23.png

Back