Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

£5K Fine for Traveling Abroad

I can understand the price hikes for new bookings, even if I don't like them, but I'm struggling to get my head around venues/sites, demanding more money from people who have already paid and agreed their bookings. I'm sure someone can explain where I'm going wrong but is there not some sort of breach of contract when they do this?
Potentially, yes. A contract is quite simple, it's an accepted offer to pay an agreed amount for an agreed something, taking into account anything explicitly expressed in terms or otherwise implied eg by law. If the terms specifically allow for price changes then the supplier could change them, otherwise not.

On our site, self catering lodges and a small caravan site, all bookings are at last years prices, most carried over from having to cancel due to various C restrictions, next year I’m sure prices will have to rise, the costs for supplies, cleaning, building materials, extra labour cleaning time etc and many months of no income
And I think that is exactly the right thing to do.

Where new procedures have had to be put in place to meet government requirements, that go above what was costed for when booking, then it's not unreasonable to ask for an extra payment to cover that. What I can't understand is blanket increases for people who already have valid, and paid for, bookings at other sites...

Last edited:
If it was just me I would vote with my feet. Sadly it is a celebration that was put off for a year and with a shed load of people coming I can't.

As for the trains, no, given that I already pay a large subsidy for them to run empty I would be screaming at even an inflation-sized increase. In fact I would buy a bike instead .... oh!! What have I just done ....o_O

And I think that is exactly the right thing to do.

Where new procedures have had to be put in place to meet government requirements, that go above what was costed for when booking, then it's not unreasonable to ask for an extra payment to cover that. What I can't understand is blanket increases for people who already have valid, and paid for, bookings at other sites...
in my case they won't even have to do any extra cleaning, but LESS cleaning as facilities will still be shut. pay more, get less. i WILL be having a talk about this with them. ideally i'd like to cancel and tell them to shove it but then they are saying i have to pay the ryanair style admin fees

hey Bobajob, do you do odd jobs for the odd bob ?

in my case they won't even have to do any extra cleaning, but LESS cleaning as facilities will still be shut. pay more, get less. i WILL be having a talk about this with them. ideally i'd like to cancel and tell them to shove it but then they are saying i have to pay the ryanair style admin fees
That sounds very unfair, they seem to be going down the “we don’t mind you cancelling as they will re fill the booking almost instantly for extra ££

That's absolutely ridiculous! They are breaking a contract; you should be able to cancel without any penalties. If they said we have to now provide you with 'x' that goes above what we would have provided when you booked, then fair enough, but to offer less is simply taking the p***...excuse my language.

We will see what people are really made of now. Those who are genuinely trying to look out for their customers whilst staying afloat ( I certainly don't expect anyone to provide me with a holiday and not cover their costs) and those who are not. I'll just vote with my feet and choose the ones that do the right thing.

Best not hold back on ordering any camping gear (or anything else for that matter) especially if it’s made in the Far East. likely to be some delays in restocking if this continues..

(watch the AIS video, gives you idea of how windy it was)

Last edited:
So you didnt do any of the activities then?
Did a spa day, played pool and bowling on one weekend with friends. Took the kids another time when my youngest was tiny, spent most of my time feeding and changing nappies, whilst my husband took my eldest to the pool. Last time my parent- in-law tagged along and I was just glad of some adult only time, as they wanted to be with the kids.

We enjoyed it but always went when they had offers e.g £279 for a 4 night mid week break. I balked at the prices for half term when the kids started school, so we invested in our static caravan by the sea after that.

That's absolutely ridiculous! They are breaking a contract; you should be able to cancel without any penalties. If they said we have to now provide you with 'x' that goes above what we would have provided when you booked, then fair enough, but to offer less is simply taking the p***...excuse my language.
Contractually they may be relying on the notion that the original contract has been 'frustrated', ie the hotel/campsite/whatever had to close and in any case the customer could not go there, all beyond the control of both parties. I THINK in that situation the contract is immediately voided, so a subsequent agreement for new dates would mean a new contract with a new offer/price to be agreed.

But anyway it's probably going to be hard to enforce a contract. I've resolved to take a chill pill over stuff like that, and luckily for us we didn't anyway lose out financially on all that much last year anyway.

Contractually they may be relying on the notion that the original contract has been 'frustrated', ie the hotel/campsite/whatever had to close and in any case the customer could not go there, all beyond the control of both parties. I THINK in that situation the contract is immediately voided, so a subsequent agreement for new dates would mean a new contract with a new offer/price to be agreed.

But anyway it's probably going to be hard to enforce a contract. I've resolved to take a chill pill over stuff like that, and luckily for us we didn't anyway lose out financially on all that much last year anyway.
Sure but does that still stand if they kept hold of your money?

Sure but does that still stand if they kept hold of your money?
Good point, but that possibly gets into quite a difficult area if you didn't actively seek your money back (which could be seen either way). My brain hurts.

Good point, but that possibly gets into quite a difficult area if you didn't actively seek your money back (which could be seen either way). My brain hurts.
Mine too!

My concern is that many sites/venues etc offered to 'defer bookings' so they didn't have to refund the money; that's the problem. They should have made it clear that people may experience changes to their booking including price and allowed them to cancel or keep it on that basis. If they didn't do that, they certainly should not be charging admin fees to cancel.

Mine too!

My concern is that many sites/venues etc offered to 'defer bookings' so they didn't have to refund the money; that's the problem. They should have made it clear that people may experience changes to their booking including price and allowed them to cancel or keep it on that basis. If they didn't do that, they certainly should not be charging admin fees to cancel.
By any reasonable view of fairness, I agree of course.

Well, my friendly event hotel has just in the last five minutes sent me an email apologising and "of course they will honour last years prices".

I have now put my battle-axe back in it's cupboard and turned the picture frame around so it's back to showing the queen and not boudica.

Well, my friendly event hotel has just in the last five minutes sent me an email apologising and "of course they will honour last years prices".

I have now put my battle-axe back in it's cupboard and turned the picture frame around so it's back to showing the queen and not boudica.
:cheers

Wait until you see the "new" prices for the drinks and the Menu at the restaurant once you are there;)...

Wait until you see the "new" prices for the drinks and the Menu at the restaurant once you are there;)...

I love you :D

I'm just looking at it ...

A pint of crap lager £5.25

A bottle of the most revolting wine that I wouldn't be seen dead with in my glass .... £28

I feel a cancellation coming up but that is a non-option

Price rise coming in April, dealer would not even tell me the price of an in Stock van, stating that the current offers would end at the end of March. Then they would be told what the new offer is !

when I pressed the sales guy on the price of the “in stock” van, he said he would have to “Build the van “ on the configurator to get the current price, which would only be valid for this month, Bonkers ?
Spoke to SMG today, they checked up on the VW system, and said there was no information about a price increase in April.

Best not hold back on ordering any camping gear (or anything else for that matter) especially if it’s made in the Far East. likely to be some delays in restocking if this continues..

(watch the AIS video, gives you idea of how windy it was)

There’s also a lot of wiring looms for German vehicle manufacturers on board. Yet more build delays on the horizon.

There’s also a lot of wiring looms for German vehicle manufacturers on board. Yet more build delays on the horizon.
They could switch the ones not already on the water to airfreight if they need to. Just a case of who pays the additional cost.

well i had a moan at the quiet site and they are now honouring my original booking and price. if i book a holiday and it costs me say £1000 and i pay up, thats that. if the price of the same holiday a week later drops by £100 they don't ring me up and give me 100 quid back do they. the quiet site will remain quiet when i get there now.

Spoke to SMG today, they checked up on the VW system, and said there was no information about a price increase in April.
Maybe I should re phase that, the dealer stated that the current deals VW are offering come to an end the end of this month, existing deals I believe IRO 2K for a combination of incentives etc. If VW don’t feel the need to continue the incentives it essentially increases the price From any dealer discount negotiation.
as we know the list price of a Cali is somewhat a moving target when factoring in negotiating a discount. The list and incentives offset are used to justify the cost and are factored into discount offered by the dealer

this week, A dealer would not give me the price of an in stock vehicle because of the potential changes to pricing in April !

maybe not a formal list price increase in April, but I bet the incentives aren’t as attractive, which equates to much the same thing. Consumer paying higher prices for new orders.

The fact the factory is working three shifts gives them a clear signal that the consumer is ripe for picking