Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

12v power?

John Daniels

John Daniels

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
hi, I've recently bought my first California and have just used it for a quick weekend break. I'm a bit confused though with the 12v sockets.......

I used the one in the drinks holder compartment to run my sat nav and all was fine whilst running.

Once we had set up for the weekend (no electric hook up), I tried to charge my phone and found that it wouldn't charge off the socket in the drinks holder, socket on top of the dash or the one on the end of the fridge / cooker unit, whether the van was running or not.

The socket near the rear seat near the sliding door worked when the van wasn't running.

Is this normal? Or am I missing something here? I thought they would have all worked off the leisure batteries when parked up.

Thanks in advance.

All the 12v sockets should work regardless of ignition state I believe.

Everything in the rear of the Cali runs from leisure batteries, everything around the dash runs from engine battery.

hi, I've recently bought my first California and have just used it for a quick weekend break. I'm a bit confused though with the 12v sockets.......

I used the one in the drinks holder compartment to run my sat nav and all was fine whilst running.

Once we had set up for the weekend (no electric hook up), I tried to charge my phone and found that it wouldn't charge off the socket in the drinks holder, socket on top of the dash or the one on the end of the fridge / cooker unit, whether the van was running or not.

The socket near the rear seat near the sliding door worked when the van wasn't running.

Is this normal? Or am I missing something here? I thought they would have all worked off the leisure batteries when parked up.

Thanks in advance.

What year is the Vehicle?

Hi it's a 2013, I've only owned it for a few days so wasn't sure if it's me of the vehicle?

Hi it's a 2013, I've only owned it for a few days so wasn't sure if it's me of the vehicle?

All I can tell you is that in a Jan 2014 Cali SE all the sockets are powered off the leisure batteries and live all the time ign on or off, hope this helps

Possibly a fuse has blown, check under the passenger seat and check the fuse box.

Is it only your phone that won't charge? we found that some of the cheap cigarette lighter to USB adapters can't handle sufficient current to charge an iPhone 5s so would give the appearance of the the socket not working.

Apart from in Snowys Van (i will now probably be proved wrong now) all the 12v sockets in the dashboard run off the engine battery & the ones in the rear i.e. by the back of the sliding door, the end of the kitchen unit & the boot, run off the leisure batteries.

As there are two totally independent circuits I would be surprised if they have both failed.

As far as I am aware, All the 12v sockets are live all the time and not ignition controlled. Those on the dashboard run from the starter battery, as they do on T5 vans. All the sockets in the rear run off the leisure battery on the SE and Beach.
Are you using a generic 12v USB charger or an iPhone specific charger that gives the higher current an iPhone 5 or 6 require?

It is an iPhone 5s I was trying to charge, I'll try a few other devices and see how it goes.

Thanks everyone, what a great resource this forum is :thumb:thumb:thumb

Generic charger.......maybe need to try a specific one then. Thanks

All I can tell you is that in a Jan 2014 Cali SE all the sockets are powered off the leisure batteries and live all the time ign on or off, hope this helps

Ok then, I may be wrong that they all run off the leisure battery, but they are all live all of the time.

We always use the inverter on b pillar for Apple products .

Ah, just used a sub converter for there. Hope that works out then. Thanks

That didn't make sense! Just ordered a usb converter for there........

I just had the same problem, so I bought one of these, worked a treat :thumb

Thanks, at that price I've just ordered one :thumb

Thanks WelshGas, ordered from the eBay link you shared. £1.79 and worked in all sockets!

Thanks again everyone for all your help, I'll sure I'll be asking more questions as I go........

Having a similar problem, all sockets charge my Samsung S4 but nothing happening from the cup holder socket. 2014 Cali 5.1.
Only had it a week so hoping it's not the start of something..........!!!! :(

Back