Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

140 vs 180 bhp Cali?

Hi,

A bit of a long time stalker and first time poster so "hi!"

Maybe a bit of an obvious question but what are peoples views on the 140 vs the 180? Is it a simple ecu modification as it is in other VAG engines or is it more complex ?

We are about to buy one, just scouring the adds for the right spec. Will probably have to use it for a bit of a commute for a year or so until i can scrap enough for a small run about so views everyday use would be helpful.

Thanks in advance,

M.

From what I understand remapping the facelift 2 litre diesels is much more complicated. Vw seems to have introduced 'counter measures'. The tuner I spoke to said I would need to remove the ecu and post it to him or leave the van with him for a couple of days. Clearly not a good idea while the van is in warranty. Subsequently got. 180. It does have bigger front brakes which may be a consideration. This may be a factor for any insurance ie what will they think if you remapped but didn't Improve the brakes when vw thought it necessary.

Most of the nearly new and dealer demos I saw were all 180s so this suggests that the second hand market may expect the more powerful van

If he wanted you to leave the van for a few days that would suggest he was using a third party to do the work and is possibly to be avoided.

The major companies all have solutions to 'unlock' the ECU and most will do it while you wait or same day. Unlike previously until its unlocked they cannot program via OBD. To do this the ECU must be removed from the vehicle.

Superchips offer a Forum discount and have a viable solution to use with their Bluefin handset.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

thanks for the info, that sounds like a no to aftermarket mods then.

guess there is then whether you guys think there is a really noticeable difference driving around?

Revo do coding for all the facelft models. I know Vanworx in Weymouth can do it while you wait.

And ref the 140 vs 180 question, the 180 is a lot more flexible power wise, with more torque accross the range, and the bigger brakes are a massive help. I say 180 all the way, hence why thats all we run :thumb

NO that is incorrect, as others have clearly said that it is very possible to remap & mod facelift models.

Hi M,

Think it a very subjective thing. Don`t read too much on here about 140 owners wishing they had bought the 180 and vice versa. I believe the 140`s sell as well as the 180`s but there is the price differential to consider if you are on a budget. I was happy with my 130 and equally happy with the 140 - you pays your money..............

Bob

Andy said:

NO that is incorrect, as others have clearly said that it is very possible to remap & mod facelift models.

whilst it might be possible, i just meant no from me if it means an additional turbo unit brakes then ecu ... probably work out cheaper to pay the extra £2k up front and not have any concerns with warranty etc.

brother10 said:
Hi M,

Think it a very subjective thing. Don`t read too much on here about 140 owners wishing they had bought the 180 and vice versa. I believe the 140`s sell as well as the 180`s but there is the price differential to consider if you are on a budget. I was happy with my 130 and equally happy with the 140 - you pays your money..............

Bob

Thanks Bob, i reckon the only way to know is take them from a proper spin.

BMVS - I might arrange a weekend hire as a bit of a tester over easter if you have any availability? I hired a 140 towards the backend of last year and it was fine on the motorway, so interested to see what the 180 is like to live with. doubt it will live upto to my current 3ltr A6 but i bet its a lot more comfy to sleep in!!

We have a 140 manual and it is more than adequate for the job of driving a camper around

It cruises very nicely on cruise control, its fairly economic and its also quite quiet

Seriously - Cali's are campers and the 140 is fine ;)

mooro said:
Andy said:

whilst it might be possible, i just meant no from me if it means an additional turbo unit brakes then ecu ... probably work out cheaper to pay the extra £2k up front and not have any concerns with warranty etc.

It wouldn't work in that way, it's not as simple as bolting a few extra bits on.

I think it's all about striking a balance between fuel efficiency and easy driving.

If you're not worried about CO2/fuel efficiency go 180 for the easiest drive.
If you're really into lowering CO2/improving fuel efficiency go 114 but be ready to change gears a bit more often.

For me the 140 was a nice balance between the two, so that's what I went for. I'd do the same again.

For reference, after 5000 miles I'm getting 36-37mpg around town and at 70mph on motorways.

I did a long slower run on the motorway (63mph) due to very heavy load and got 42mpg!

Anyway - choose what's important for you and pick the engine to suit.

Personally I think it primarily affects second hand value, as the 140 will always reflect a slightly lower premium (in the same way that DSG bolsters value as does 4motion).

We rented a 140 last year to try the Cali out and went over to eskdale in the Lake District. Hardnott pass, rhino pass territory and it didn't struggle at all, very easy driving, even in the hills, we had the vw rack on and 2 bikes too.

I've just collected my 180 last weekend and it seems quicker and more effortless but not so much that I would deter anyone from the 140. Economy could be a consideration, although I don't think there is a lot in it. I imagine the difference would be most noticeable if fully laden or with drag devices like canoes/kayaks on the roof

we had a 180 loaner from VW which was very nippy but went for 140 for our own and its a bit less nippy but to be honest I dont find any probs at all with 140 does all I want it to...
cheaper to buy was also a factor. TBH I have never really thought about wishing I'd had the 180 am happy with what I have!
personally I would not advise remapping a new vehicle..warranty issues..insurance issues..if you think you want more power then go for thye factory 180!

We only recently got a 140 (DSG) and it's quiet and relaxing to drive - I have yet to wish for more power.......very happy.

Go to a dealer & take both for long test drive, then decide, it's your decision that you have to live with.

We had a 140 the other day as a loaner, felt very very sluggish compared to my 180, I did not realise there was so much of a difference

I don't know how some of these conversions manage with the 84 & 102bhp engines .... :(

I think a lot are re-mapped.

miscellaneous-worms-can-tin-opening_a_can_of_worms-opening-jfa2492_low.jpg

But it's too darn late!

My first Cali was a 140 and the present one is a 180.

In my opinion the 140 was a bit smoother and revved nicer

The 180 definitely feels more torquey and is defiantly picks up speed quicker at higher speeds.

To be honest I don't think there is much in it although I appreciate the bigger brakes on the 180

Saw lots of conversions on the M4 today, some tried to keep up with the California but failed, but then I keep thinking I'm in my former RX8. :D

Back