Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Black vs Grey, 140 vs 180?

R

Richk

Hi, I'm just choosing my second Cali and need some wisdom.

I've got grey at the moment and very pleased with colour but I'm selling as its just going out of warranty.

Views on black appreciated. Is it too hot in the summer months with early sunrises etc? Never had black and wondered how folk find it for showing scuffs, cleaning etc

Plus current Cali is 180 but here are mostly 140 only available at dealers currently. Motorway driving should be fine, how is a 140 on steep mountain passes etc

Cheers

140 is fine for me...Alps or Welsh Hills or motorways or just driving around on days out...
Black is a classic cool colour (is black a colour?) but a pig to keep clean!

We have Midnight Blue so potentially same issues.....to be frank haven't noticed any problems with temperatures....don't think it makes a huge amount of difference.....we aren't obsessive car cleaners, yes does show up when a bit grubby (that happens quite a lot!) but it is something to use in the outdoors after all! ......get the colour you like...

140 v 180.....seems to lots of views but 140 fine for us, towed boats etc on all types of roads no problem.....no doubt our 180 supporters will have something to say about the extra power when overtaking.....;)

Last edited:
Not had a black Cali, but two black cars. Don't think I would ever have another though - IMO nothing looks better when clean and shiny, problem is as soon as you go out, even the dust shows up. The Cali is a big vehicle too, so takes lots of cleaning anyway.

Hi Richk i have a black cali my last car was black i find if you use a expensive wax wash like Meguiars it stays cleaner longer and the rain seems to wash it clean.The cali is a chillout machine the DSG box increases the effect 140 or 180 and because it change in 0.04 of a second when you are in manual mode going up hill you do not lose any momentum going from one gear to the next gear.and you can change gear at any revs you want.

Last edited:
My last car was black and I agree, when clean they look stunning but they do show the dirt a lot lot more. If you're someone who likes the wash it a lot black can look beautiful. I also found that swirls in the paint from cleaning were more obvious with Black and needed sorting every year or so.

My Cali is natural grey (metallic) and it hides the dirt a bit better than the black car but sometimes the dirt makes it look like the paint has faded. When I first got it I had a few panic moments that I thought I had faded paint but once cleaned it was back to normal.

Back