Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Our first trip in the T6

From what I can remember when trying it.
If you are viewing the traffic in front as a driver with standard cruise, you can anticipate a car pulling out in front of you and assess the traffic and dis-engage/slow down before ACC will.
ACC is great when the obstacle is in front of you, it acts accordingly. However it cannot assess what is happening in the other lanes and anticipate what traffic will do, until said traffic has made the manoeuvre.
You have far better control of the vehicle with standard cruise.

But isn't it almost a £1k option...???
It would need to save a lot of fuel before coming cost effective. Plus, I still don't like how it works. I can't remember, but does it gradually slow you down when approaching a car in front or does it apply brakes...???
It really does a great job . If a car comes in between you and the vehicle in front it will detect the speed and change in distance, many times I don't notice any breaking as ACC will not interfere when car in front is driving away from you.. It is slowing you down very gradually (without even using breaks) .
From what I can remember when trying it.
If you are viewing the traffic in front as a driver with standard cruise, you can anticipate a car pulling out in front of you and assess the traffic and dis-engage/slow down before ACC will.
ACC is great when the obstacle is in front of you, it acts accordingly. However it cannot assess what is happening in the other lanes and anticipate what traffic will do, until said traffic has made the manoeuvre.
You have far better control of the vehicle with standard cruise.
Don't know how many miles you tested it but I can assure you ACC is doing a great job . You have to get used to it of course . I do not understand how you have better control with standard CC ? I can do what you do with cc and more , the only difference is I do not have to control that much myself anymore. Maybe you should give it another try? I had never CC before because of many prejudices, when I ordered my T6 cali I decided to give ACC a chance and I love it. I ride more relax, feel safer, and safe fuel . It is expensive like all other options but that's personal preference I suppose : I see people spend fortunes on 204PS, alu wheels, 11 speakers, carpets, leather seats.. We all have our own ideas about comfort and safety I guess. ..:)

But isn't it almost a £1k option...???
It would need to save a lot of fuel before coming cost effective. Plus, I still don't like how it works. I can't remember, but does it gradually slow you down when approaching a car in front or does it apply brakes...???
Alloys and leather are way more expensive. They don't save fuel as well.

Want to be in control ? But you have auto transmission ? I also like to be in control therefore drive manual transmission..
ACC is great , would never buy CC without ACC . And you retain control , just need to know when better not to use it (in town, at roundabouts..) It saves you a lot of fuel on long trips, keeps your speed constant uphill and downhill and no worry about speed limits.

ACC does not hit the breaks unless extreme situation, the break lights do not light up. The car behind must keep its distance so it can slow down in time, that is just what ACC is doing for me..

Indeed , i dicide when i break....has nothing to do with DSG to diffrent things.
Self driving cars great on test circuits , not in the next 20y on the main road, to much other disturbing factors.

Love the acc especially in heavy traffic. After a couple of similar incidents i always flick it off when travelling at speed when "weird" things are happening such as a rh filter lane.

You do need to be careful and use your judgement its just a dumb(ish) computer at the end of the day. Glad you enjoyed your trip despite the acc hiccups.

I specified ACC to ease the use of normal Cruise Control where in heavy and variable traffic I had to constantly cancel CC, brake and then Resume. The ACC coped with the M6 Birmingham congestion admirably, adjusting to the traffic speed and maintaining a safe distance.
Like all these driver aids, you need time to learn how they perform and when to use them, I'm still learning, as ever shared experiences on the forum are invaluable.

Just been to North Norfolk for our first three nights. The Cali has the exact spec we ordered, T6 204 DSG and is definitely a quieter smoother ride than our previous 180 manual.
The real eye opener was the adaptive cruise control. It worked very well going north to south past Birmingham and in general traffic.
There were two worrying incidents that mean it needs using with care
The first was on a left hand bend where a road turned off to the right with a filter lane, the acc radar picked up the car waiting in the filter lane and slammed the brakes on, no one behind fortunately.
The second was overtaking a truck on a dual carriageway where a cone was on the central reservation in front of the guard rail. Again the brakes came on hard. Again no one behind. This might have been the assisted braking system but a bit scary.
Oh and side scan assist does not work if you have a trailer or anything else plugged into the towbar electrics.
Not withstanding those issues we are delighted with the new Cali.
Isn't the first time out amazing?

But think of the advantages when cycling. Get to where you are going and just call up the van to come and collect you. Even better if the weather changes for the worse and you blow a tyre.
Not if there aren't any roads nearby, and who goes cycling without the means to mend a puncture or with an eye on the weather.;)

Indeed , i dicide when i break....has nothing to do with DSG to diffrent things.
Self driving cars great on test circuits , not in the next 20y on the main road, to much other disturbing factors.
the difference is : I can switch it off you can't switch it on. If money wasn't an issue I migth have bougth dsg since I read so many good things about it here but after driving manual over 30 years I decided to invest in acc rather than dsg. Indeed acc is a first step towards self driving car but so is auto transmisson and GPS, they both make driving more comfortable and safer and allow driver to concentrate more on the traffic .

So roger, can I switch off AAC and use it like old standard manual cruise control ?

Odoslané z môjho iPad cez Tapatalk Pro

So roger, can I switch off AAC and use it like old standard manual cruise control ?

No, you cannot choose between acc and cc with a switch as far as I know. You switch acc off and on or resume . Also breaking will switch it off and again you can resume with simple switch under your fingertips on steering wheel .
If you set the distance at minimum it will more or less behave like cc because you will probably switch it off before you get that close to the vehicle in front of you (sorry, don't remember what the minimum distance is). But believe me you'll never want to return to cc once you have used acc.

Could/is the ACC too much of a good thing?

Not for me, the M6 round Birmingham and the M25 round London are much easier to deal with with ACC, and thats why I specced it.
We have a trip to Le Mans coming up and I will be using it on the french peage where lighter traffic means it is in effect just CC.
Best of both worlds.

Off course. Not while driving though I am afraid. Hidden in settings.

Me no likey!
It it did it just once then I'd be on edge for ever more.

Dumb question maybe, but how does ACC work with a manual gearbox?

No, certainly not:
Many roads in Belgium have signs 'switch off cruise control' because trucks cause too many head end collisions resulting in disastrous accidents involving many vehicles. If all trucks (cars) had acc these collisions were nearly impossible. They should add the text "please switch on acc" on these signs. Not only drivers not paying attention but bad weather like snowfall, heavy rainfall and fog cause these kind of collisions in circumstances where human senses alone are not enough.
The car knows your speed, your distance to the car in front , the change in distance and decides when you need to slow down (not necessarily break) to maintain the safe distance (you choose) .

Dumb question maybe, but how does ACC work with a manual gearbox?
I understand your concern: just as without acc you change gear according to speed and rpm of the vehicle. If in doubt :The display alerts when it is recommended to change gear.
Using acc +dsg in traffic jams during rush hour is heavenly I think, without dsg it is bussiness as usual and no acc.

I believe the advice in the U.K. by various motor organisation and the police is NOT to use cruise control in wet or icy conditions.

Husband thinks it's(ACC) the best option with DSG . Very easy driving in long motorway journeys & straight lane queues . Doesn't use where there are sharp bends . Great in France / U.K but he has used cruised in all his cars

Hey Calimera!

Plenty of people disagree with opinions, but you are the first one here disagreeing with a question I asked for information purposes!

It was a question, not an opinion....

:)

Back