Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

2012 T5 sliding door closure mechanism

amdby

amdby

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
as we got off the ferry in France the table in the sliding door fell off,(!) and since then the door doesn't pull closed properly, and remains ajar... annoying as we were there for 3 weeks and 3000 miles. Have checked that the door card isn't dislodged, have tried the "leave door open and press remote key", have cleaned the contacts on the electric door pull mechanism, have tried to locate a fuse diagram for the car - no joy. After the table fell off i couldn't find the screws that held the bracket on, and thought they were lodged somewhere, preventing closure, but can't see them anywhere. This has got me flummoxed..upgraded my membership so that i could download a fuse diagram, but there doesn't seem to be one anywhere. Any advice much appreciated!
PS repaired the table but had to drill through the surface to fit screws and bolts!

Try bridging the contacts on the door pillar with the key if the closing servo is working it will activate the motor.

as we got off the ferry in France the table in the sliding door fell off,(!) and since then the door doesn't pull closed properly, and remains ajar... annoying as we were there for 3 weeks and 3000 miles. Have checked that the door card isn't dislodged, have tried the "leave door open and press remote key", have cleaned the contacts on the electric door pull mechanism, have tried to locate a fuse diagram for the car - no joy. After the table fell off i couldn't find the screws that held the bracket on, and thought they were lodged somewhere, preventing closure, but can't see them anywhere. This has got me flummoxed..upgraded my membership so that i could download a fuse diagram, but there doesn't seem to be one anywhere. Any advice much appreciated!
PS repaired the table but had to drill through the surface to fit screws and bolts!
The Fuse position can vary. Hence no definitive diagrams but it should be in the fuse box by the gear lever.

thanks, that's another thing I tried yesterday, unsuccessfully. No sound from the motor when I did this.

thanks, that's another thing I tried yesterday, unsuccessfully. No sound from the motor when I did this.
Check the 20amp fuses in the Upper Section of the Fuse Box by the Gear Leaver.

The Fuse position can vary. Hence no definitive diagrams but it should be in the fuse box by the gear lever.
Check the 20amp fuses in the Upper Section of the Fuse Box by the Gear Leaver.
thanks, yes, i have checked all the fuses 20amp and above. All good. Still confused! Some people advise giving it a good slam, but that doesnt work either.

Probably a daft question but desperate times!
The “disable powered door “ on the dash button hasn’t been pushed?

Maybe some electric cables from and to the lock have jammed by the lever to release the table? As you say it is since the table fell out?
If a cable from the lock is broken, the signal: door closed might not get through, leaving the servo not to close the door?

Probably a daft question but desperate times!
The “disable powered door “ on the dash button hasn’t been pushed?
Thanks, it's not a power sliding door, there is just a motor to secure it closed.. That's the bit that's broken.

Maybe some electric cables from and to the lock have jammed by the lever to release the table? As you say it is since the table fell out?
If a cable from the lock is broken, the signal: door closed might not get through, leaving the servo not to close the door?
Good theory... It does seem to be linked to the table falling out. However I think that the motor that pulls the door in is in the pillar by the drivers seat, and so wouldn't be affected by anything in the door itself. I may be wrong though. Perhaps someone could tell me if the sound of the motor comes from the front or the back of the door as it closes, thanks!

Good theory... It does seem to be linked to the table falling out. However I think that the motor that pulls the door in is in the pillar by the drivers seat, and so wouldn't be affected by anything in the door itself. I may be wrong though. Perhaps someone could tell me if the sound of the motor comes from the front or the back of the door as it closes, thanks!
The Power Latching Motor, Part 32, is at the rear of the door.
850ED3E1-BEA9-4FE7-9E21-7ECC756307BB.jpeg

How does the motor know when it has to work? By the lock in the sliding door! There is a switch in the lock that tells the van: I am closed. Then the motor knows that it has to work. So yes, it is affected by the electronics in the door.
The sound is from the black thing (28) that is fixed on the van.

Ah, that changes everything. Does the lower part of the door card pull off, so I can have a look, do you know?
You have to dismantle the white upper parts too! Watch out for the screw behind the grip, and the lock knob.
Then there are some screws on the bottom of the grey trim. The rest pulls off, more or less willingly.

Ah, that changes everything. Does the lower part of the door card pull off, so I can have a look, do you know?
Hope this helps.
095ADD73-0E8A-4F6B-8F3B-F1C7F75F2FF7.jpeg

Thanks fellas, I might have a go at this tomorrow, though I'm guessing that, once I discover the issue, I'll have to hand it over to vw to repair anyway...i wouldn't be able to repair a broken cable or wire myself, I know my limitations.

How does the motor know when it has to work? By the lock in the sliding door! There is a switch in the lock that tells the van: I am closed. Then the motor knows that it has to work. So yes, it is affected by the electronics in the door.
The sound is from the black thing (28) that is fixed on the van.
Ah sorry, I missed this reply, I'm now going to hand another look!

The OP seems to have confirmed he has the manual door with soft close system and not a fully electric door. If correct then there is a pair of electrical contractors a male on the leading edge of the door at half height, and the female in the B pillar, this is not shown in the schematics above. I don't know how this works but the male could just close the circuit when it contacts the female and all the wiring could be within the vehicle frame and not the door?

There is the lock in the back of the sliding door, the remote lock near the door handle at the front, and then there is the connector. They are connected through wires inside the sliding door. The cables are used for locking and unlocking the sliding door, information about the situation of the lock (door open, door closed), so when one of the cables, and I presume it will be at least the cable of teh situation of the lock by the story of the OP, then there will be need for investigating the wires inside the sliding door.

Question to @amdby: If you close the sliding door. What does the instrument cluster tell you? Door open, door closed?

The OP seems to have confirmed he has the manual door with soft close system and not a fully electric door. If correct then there is a pair of electrical contractors a male on the leading edge of the door at half height, and the female in the B pillar, this is not shown in the schematics above. I don't know how this works but the male could just close the circuit when it contacts the female and all the wiring could be within the vehicle frame and not the door?
There is a wiring loom within the door. Can't post the picture at the moment as on my phone not computer.

When my electric assist stopped working i was still
able to slam the door shut.

There is the lock in the back of the sliding door, the remote lock near the door handle at the front, and then there is the connector. They are connected through wires inside the sliding door. The cables are used for locking and unlocking the sliding door, information about the situation of the lock (door open, door closed), so when one of the cables, and I presume it will be at least the cable of teh situation of the lock by the story of the OP, then there will be need for investigating the wires inside the sliding door.

Question to @amdby: If you close the sliding door. What does the instrument cluster tell you? Door open, door closed?
Info screen says door closed. Thanks.

Hmm, then it should operate the closing mechanism.
Then I don't really know what the problem would be.
Try to read out the fault codes (or let them read out), or take the van to VW?

Back