Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

2017 California Coast - 2 weeks old - water leak from roof

Mervin is probably right but I would be livid. Good luck and keep us posted.

Mike

This is not a dealers fault but a major mistake at the Quality check in the Cali assembling factory ....
If you want any compensation for this you need to go beyond your dealer .

I
Mervyn as you said employing a solicitor should be the last option but unfortunately in our case it is what we have had to do. We tried being reasonable, did everything we could to try and resolve this without getting solicitors involved but this dealership has been dishonest at every turn. We plan to pursue this to the fullest extent of the law - not what we would wish to do - but what we will do.
I'm posting some photos of how the water ingress looked the day I came out and found the leaks - two weeks after taking delivery. From the photos you will see water coming out from behind panels in the California on every side of the vehicle. How could anyone accept this? Shame on Tom Murphy Car Sales and shame on VW Ireland !View attachment 19555View attachment 19556View attachment 19557View attachment 19558View attachment 19559
I'm not sure how well these will come out but I have many more showing water coming out of the joins in the panels throughout the California on every side.
THIS IN A TWO WEEK OLD CALIFORNIA

View attachment 19554

View attachment 19560
I didn't realise it was so close to me .the man you need to talk to is ............ I won't put it on here but I will inform you if you contact me seperate .where is your Cali now .i wouldent mind chatting to you but not through site .you might be interested .

I

I didn't realise it was so close to me .the man you need to talk to is ............ I won't put it on here but I will inform you if you contact me seperate .where is your Cali now .i wouldent mind chatting to you but not through site .you might be interested .
Not sure how to pm you mervyn??

Mervyn I would like to but not on the open forum. Hoping Hotel California can do that for me if he can?

Mervyn I would like to but not on the open forum. Hoping Hotel California can do that for me if he can?

I send you a PM , did you not get it?

What VW garage did you buy your california from ,Name and Shame .

Euh...are you aware dealers do not fabricate Cali's ...the factory in Germany does ...so the dealer himself is not responnsible for this fault . The dealer however must do everything to get this sorted out.

Thank you very much Hotel California for all your assistance. What a lovely bunch of people you all are on this forum. Many thanks to you all for the advice and support.
Hotel California we have sent numerous emails to both VW Ireland and VW Germany about our case and received no response other than "your contract is with your dealer" from VW Ireland and a "we've received your complaint" email from Germany. It appears they do not want to know.

I would ring VW rather than e-mail

Meoncoast we rang VW Ireland and were told they wouldn't speak with us as we had gone the legal route and employed a solicitor.

I definitely wouldn't accept those water marks in the ceiling if indeed the area is now dry. I briefly checked on EU law regarding your position and it would appear that given the significant damage ensuing from a 'minor' manufacturing defect the problem becomes no longer a minor one as the vehicle wasn't fit for purpose out of the factory ie it let in water and a campervan roof is supposed to be watertight just like the hull of a boat is supposed to be watertight. If you were in a brand new boat and it started filling up with water through a 5mm crack in the hull 5 miles out to sea you'd be more worried but the principle remains the same. Your dealer needs to take this up with the manufacturer directly. That is not your responsibility but his alone but I'd be asking for a replacement too. Best of luck.

Tomatoman65 very many thanks for that helpful information - much appreciated. We will be fighting this to the end until we get satisfaction and if that has to be through the courts then so be it. We are determined!

Update
Following the intervention of Alan Bateson GM Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles, Ireland, the matter has been resolved fully to our satisfaction.
I would like to thank everyone most sincerely for all your encouragement, support and advice and I look forward to becoming an active contributing member of this terrific forum.
Finally I would like to thank Alan Bateson for his input in resolving the issue so efficiently.

Good to hear it and that you can get on with enjoying your Cali.

Mike

Back