Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Water Leak - do I need to spend £2500 pounds to replace the infamous roof panel?

Whilst sealing the grommets I discovered that the rubber sealing strip across the front of the roof panel has a gap each end which I assume is there to stop a build up of water. View attachment 80231
Yes, it's good to clean that gap under the rubber seal whenever you clean the Cali. The gap allows excess water in front of the seal to drain through the gap and then down into the drain hole channel and out.
What sealant did you use around the grommet, have you got a link?

Got this one from Euro Car Parts. I originally used a clear general purpose silicone on one side but this was better, seems to bond better and remains workable longer.Also its small enough to manoeuvre when applying and cleans with white spirit. I used a small wooden plug to make sure I didn't seal the drain hole.

V-Tech Black Silicone Sealant 75g

Got this one from Euro Car Parts. I originally used a clear general purpose silicone on one side but this was better, seems to bond better and remains workable longer.Also its small enough to manoeuvre when applying and cleans with white spirit. I used a small wooden plug to make sure I didn't seal the drain hole.

V-Tech Black Silicone Sealant 75g
Good idea about the wooden plug when applied the sealant.

Good idea about the wooden plug when applied the sealant.
Also handy way of ruling out a leaky drain. Used Blu Tak to form a reservoir around the grommet, plugged the drain hole then flooded the reservoir.

I recently found water was running down the inside of the A pillar trim onto the carpet in the footwell adjacent to the door. After days of investigation using a borescope and the usual checks of the roof drains, screen etc I have hopefully found that it was the roof drain grommet as @NRDSRFR post above. I've cleaned it and sealed with an Auto sealant from Euro Car Parts and so far so good.
Whilst investigating I discovered that the water somehow was tracking down between two layers of body panel at the top of the A pillar. Also unless both grommets left and right were leaking, then water was flowing across the panel above the screen as I was getting the same leak on both A pillars. I also found that the water must have been pooling as if I moved the van forward and applied the brakes water would flow as it "surged" forward.
The roof lining was not getting wet and water was not running on the outside of the brown drain only as shown.
Whilst sealing the grommets I discovered that the rubber sealing strip across the front of the roof panel has a gap each end which I assume is there to stop a build up of water. View attachment 80232View attachment 80231
Where exactly is that on picture no1? I can see the brown drain pipe but where is the picture taken? I have this same problem and tried to find the leak by pouring tinted water with the drain hole plugged. The water disappeared but did not show up inside the cabin. At least the water leaks only on left side where the hole was plugged after a rainy trip. Still searching.

Where exactly is that on picture no1? I can see the brown drain pipe but where is the picture taken? I have this same problem and tried to find the leak by pouring tinted water with the drain hole plugged. The water disappeared but did not show up inside the cabin. At least the water leaks only on left side where the hole was plugged after a rainy trip. Still searching.
The top pic is the top corner of the windscreen viewed from inside the van, having removed the A pillar trim. The coloured towel is on the outside (put there reduce glare for photo).

Guys, do you have any pictures how did you seal it, the final result? Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi all, is there a way to replace this rubber grommet? What’s the part number? Are there any instructions how to do it?

This is what I found on my Cali’s roof after some investigation:

7cd1b55166bd68853f9cdac53b8884ed.jpg

f702ac460e61f85439cb1b22a094ac6a.jpg

1f12a7c63da137d0065361818fe5cfe2.jpg

413ad9560345d2bebede676ad7423255.jpg

e2a42270b5c15cbfa55f0ecb28c7a9e5.jpg

3ec13974d4ffb3cc8a6c3f9a06483b45.jpg

Hi all, is there a way to replace this rubber grommet? What’s the part number? Are there any instructions how to do it?

You might want to post it as a separate thread. With an obvious title. The big beasts may answer if they see it!

The part 20 is ...
7E7875211C LEFT
7E7875212C RIGHT
you should be able to order direct from VW or website below but I don't know how you'd change it. If you can't replace it you could use a black Sika compound to seal the leak area and refit the grommet you removed.

Last edited:

That is really descriptive pictures of how that construction looks like. Do I see holes of corrosion?

Found it here as well, part 20,
7E7875211C LEFT
7E7875212C RIGHT
£7.10 on lllparts.co.uk ...

View attachment 102178

I can order the product number you’ve shared. However, with the C at the end - no products were found in this category. I can see it in the table though, a bit confused tbh .

I can't find part number 7E7875211C, very confused

CleanShot 2022-11-19 at 21.55.41@2x.png

By the way. Doesn’t this grommet have electric wires for the roof sensors going through it? Aren’t you going to have to disconnect or possibly cut those to feed them through a new grommet ?
I only mention as you seemed to say the grommet itself wasn’t damaged and when you replaced it it fitted ok.

Last edited:
By the way. Doesn’t this grommet have electric wires for the roof sensors going through it? Aren’t you going to have to disconnect or possibly cut those to feed them through a new grommet ?
I only mention as you seemed to say the grommet itself wasn’t damaged and when you replaced it it fitted ok.

Yes, you are right. The hole is under the grommet, which looks like another rubber with sealant (grey colour), at least from the inside, see my previous pictures. Not sure what will be the best solution here to fix it.

That is really descriptive pictures of how that construction looks like. Do I see holes of corrosion?

Not sure about the corrosion, it’s soft. Looks like a plug or something with a lot of grey sealant/compound from the inside.

The grommet is in place now,, yes, but the hole under it still exists, which will leak again with a next heavy rain I guess. We’ll see in the morning :))

I‘m a little puzzled! The grommet in your photo appears to either be in 2 parts or has split into 2, one still in situ and the you have lifted. The parts diagram only appears to show a single item “20”.
The sealant I used to seal my grommet was this one from Euro Car Parts
1668931578603.jpeg1668931578603.jpeg

I've been having the same problems, and tried everything here, but cannot source the leak. I think I've exhausted my DIY ability. Does anyone know of anywhere in Hampshire/Surrey/West Sussex that can help? I tried my local garage and they had a look but had no ideas other than 'roof corrosion'.

I've been having the same problems, and tried everything here, but cannot source the leak. I think I've exhausted my DIY ability. Does anyone know of anywhere in Hampshire/Surrey/West Sussex that can help? I tried my local garage and they had a look but had no ideas other than 'roof corrosion'.
Where is water appearing?

Initially, water was appearing in the drivers footwell. I pulled apart the trim in the lower dashboard and traced it up to the A-pillar. So I removed the trim on the pillar and traced it up to the top corner of the windscreen. Thinking I had found it I had the windscreen removed and the seal replaced; but this wasn’t the problem. As mentioned earlier in this thread the water was finding it’s way through a tiny overlapping bit of metal above the windscreen. So I pulled the headlining back and found the drain pipe, which is connected properly and draining properly. I don’t think the drain is leaking, although the leak is somewhere nearby. The rubber grommet in the roof where the electrics disappear into seems fine. There is a small amount of corrosion but nothing noteworthy. If I open the roof and pour water into the drain it works properly. If I block the drain the water doesn’t go anywhere. I’m struggling to trace it any further because of access to that piece of the roof.