Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

2019 Build

Brian’s Dad

Brian’s Dad

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hi, just been to the dealer. He explained they're not currently taking orders until the summer when the 2019 build starts. Current choice is buy stock or wait. Does anyone know if there are any significant changes / improvements anticipated, or just price rises?

Thanks Matt

Have you enquired from other dealers? The one you visited may have run out of his allocation from VW and what he really means is that he cannot order from VW. Other dealers may not have used their allocation and would be willing to take your order....worth asking around.

I haven't enquired recently but was told a month back that the order books would be closed for 2-3 months.

Called into Breeze Poole yesterday to look at the Special Edition (sold not to me) and they said the same only current stock available as factory awaiting to anounce 2019 updates, though sales manager did not know what they were going to be.

I can see some big delays occurring and used prices increasing as don't forget the factory closes for several weeks in the summer holidays too.

I've had a few updates:

MY2019
All orders are now MY2019 build
Petrol has gone
Bluetooth premium is no longer part of Nav Media Plus package

I can't find bluetooth premium on the builder anymore, does anyone know what it did?

Anyone know about price hikes?

I've had a few updates:

MY2019
Petrol has gone

I can't find bluetooth premium on the builder anymore, does anyone know what it did?

My Edition (which I am yet to recieve) hadcto have a fix which was something to do with the Bluetooth. I think it was to disable the signal enhancer which maybe it? Could have got that wrong though. I just want my van!
They have some other fixes to do next week so I will find out what the codes for them mean.

As far as I aware any California ordered after May 18 will My19 and won't be built until after 13th August 2018. There is usually a 4 month delivery timetable anyway. I am still waiting to find out what the changes are I expect they may be announced on Monday. Price rises are anticipated for June but no one really knows

I put my Cali spec into the configurator and it came up a few £K more than when I last did it a few months back so guessing the price has already gone up

There seems to be a lot of updates and fixes with the California at the moment.
I would expect this with a new vehicle, not one that’s been around for as long as this has

I've had a few updates:

MY2019
Petrol has gone

I asked about this. Apparently when you rest your phone in the cubby hole next to the gear stick it uses the vans Ariel to boost the reception. That’s it....it does get a better reception when I leave my phone there.

We just placed an order for a new 4MOTION Ocean yesterday; our order is now with VW where it will stay until August when it will be worked into the production schedule. According to what the dealer told me, there are no major changes planned for the MY19 Cali other than perhaps the odd minor tweak/fix. The only thing he said may change between now and August/September are possibly the prices (and that the TSI can no longer be ordered).

We also had to sign a form saying that we understand that between the point of order and the point of delivery that the emissions/MPG/VED "could" change; although for us the VED likely won't change because we are already in one of the higher brackets (road tax for ours is £1,760 for year 1 and then £450 per year for years 2 through 5 then £140 per year from year 6 and beyond).

We just placed an order for a new 4MOTION Ocean yesterday; our order is now with VW where it will stay until August when it will be worked into the production schedule. According to what the dealer told me, there are no major changes planned for the MY19 Cali other than perhaps the odd minor tweak/fix. The only thing he said may change between now and August/September are possibly the prices (and that the TSI can no longer be ordered).

We also had to sign a form saying that we understand that between the point of order and the point of delivery that the emissions/MPG/VED "could" change; although for us the VED likely won't change because we are already in one of the higher brackets (road tax for ours is £1,760 for year 1 and then £450 per year for years 2 through 5 then £140 per year from year 6 and beyond).

It would be good to know when the price hike is coming. The emissions testing / mpg is going to affect all manufacturers apparently they've got to do real life testing rather than rolling road so the MPG will be more realistic of everyday use.

Unfortunately the dealer did not know exactly when we might see any price increases other than to say there "could" be some increases between now and September.

Regarding the emissions testing, you are correct, the Form we signed was for the "WorldWide Harmonised Light Vehicle Test Procedure" (WLTP) which is all about them conducting testing in more realistic scenarios.

if you have placed a order now can they really increase the price before you receive your van. Last years price increase came in 1st July and 1st November. the November one was the big one

if you have placed a order now can they really increase the price before you receive your van. Last years price increase came in 1st July and 1st November. the November one was the big one

Surely once you've placed your order, deposit down the price is fixed?

Hello, recently placed order for MY19 Ocean, does anyone remember by what % the prices rises were last year July Nov?

Surely once you've placed your order, deposit down the price is fixed?

It seems that due to the recent emissions test changes and VED changes that the dealers are protecting their interests regarding possible price increases.

If you were to order now, I would expect the dealer to fix the price of the California with the OTR costs to be subject to possible increases.

It seems that due to the recent emissions test changes and VED changes that the dealers are protecting their interests regarding possible price increases.

If you were to order now, I would expect the dealer to fix the price of the California with the OTR costs to be subject to possible increases.

Yes that's exactly it; we were originally going to order our Cali around September/October but after talking to the dealer we decided to order now to get a deal based on "current" prices; it is only the OTR costs that "could" change.

The WLTP form we signed did state that if any VED increases are applied or if fuel consumption is higher than they were at the time of ordering then we have the option to amend our order or cancel at no cost to us.

We're really hoping that the newly announced EA288 Evo mild hybrid engine will be available in the 2019 California. Might be asking a bit much though... :(

So I wanted to speculate about some potential improvements / changes I might see on my MY2019 order.

Keyless ignition - very common on other cars: http://www.findlaynorthvw.com/blog/which-2017-volkswagen-models-have-push-button-start/

Electronic Handbrake - I normally think they're pointless but it would free up floor space in the Cali.

Heated windscreen - my dealer said it's v common spec on other vans.

Any other thoughts?

An electronic handbrake would be a good idea to free up the floor space; plus it would mean you would be able to swivel the drivers seat without having to let the handbrake off.

I ordered our new CaliO a few weeks ago and mistakenly assumed the heated windscreen was standard; so I went back to the dealer to get them to add it to my order for a whopping £426; the "list" price on ours is approaching £80k and so I think a car at this price level should include it as standard.

As for the keyless ignition, for me this is more of a nice to have; my other car has it, as does the wife's car and I was initially irritated by it because I would keep leaving my keys in the car; although now that I'm used to it I do prefer it and so it would be good if VW included it with the Cali.

Be thankful that they arnt keyless ignitions, theifs would have a field day taking them off peoples drives. Having a key start stops them reading the transponder from inside your house. They can get in to the vechicles but can’t drive them away unless they physically have the keys.
80k for a campervan....really? I though mine at +60k was a shocker. What on earth do you get for 20k extra?? Is there a hot tub, and an arcade machine in there as well??!!