Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

2023 Ocean leaking roof fabric

Status
Not open for further replies.
Theres a couple of beach owners on Facebook with leaking new style canvas.
How badly? Some are concerned about a few drops on the inside after a torrential downpour with 90 deg wind.

Just done a quick 5 minute water test using a hosepipe spray. Tap only turned on very slightly so no pressure, just looping fountain spray.

Leaks along the big zip at the front and several seams.

The dealer isn't going to need long during my 400 mile round trip to diagnose this one.

My theory is still because the outer fabric absorbs and retains water, and the holes in the seams are big enough for it to seep through, especially when under tension and enlarged making it worse. The fact that mine leaked again after I re-erected the wet bellows in dry weather is the reason I think this. I can’t think of any other reason the bellows would leak again when it’s not raining. The water is obviously coming in through the stitching holes. The inner fabric is obviously highly water proof so the stitching holes are the only place it can come through.

Last edited:
An owner with a May production Ocean has reported zero water infiltration even after 30 mins of heavy rain and wind hitting the front. He reckons the tension is the main factor here that is keeping the bellows water tight. Notice how loose the fabric is. This is not the 'C' variant. 20230816_203029.jpg.86961db98aef8f8cdb242049f97ba8f1.jpg

An owner with a May production Ocean has reported zero water infiltration even after 30 mins of heavy rain and wind hitting the front. He reckons the tension is the main factor here that is keeping the bellows water tight. Notice how loose the fabric is. This is not the 'C' variant. View attachment 113115
If that was mine I would be taking it back complaining the roof is sagging. VW can’t win!!

An owner with a May production Ocean has reported zero water infiltration even after 30 mins of heavy rain and wind hitting the front. He reckons the tension is the main factor here that is keeping the bellows water tight. Notice how loose the fabric is. This is not the 'C' variant. View attachment 113115
So he doesn’t raise it fully?

:talktothehandNo pleasing some people.
Having fought ( successfully ) for 6 months to get my early T6.1 roof tensioned properly on both sides, I wouldn’t be settling for less on a new van.

30 minutes!! What if it’s raining all night I wonder?
Not convinced that tension is the problem. Yes, it may contribute, but if Beach owners have reported faults, it’s unlikely to be the main cause.

30 minutes!! What if it’s raining all night I wonder?
Not convinced that tension is the problem. Yes, it may contribute, but if Beach owners have reported faults, it’s unlikely to be the main cause.
Yes I wouldn’t feel too confident after 30 minutes. That roof does look odd so loose…

My observations after holidays where it rained almost every day.
After daily showers no water came in, but when it rained overnight it leaked.

My observations after holidays where it rained almost every day.
After daily showers no water came in, but when it rained overnight it leaked.
Depending on how long those showers lasted this might support the theory that the canvas needs to become saturated first before it leaks (i.e. the first layer needs to be breached first).

Ours leaked through bottom front window seam. Heavy drizzle light wind. Next day leaked bottom side window seal due to changing wind direction.

Feb 23. Original dealer Listers at Droitwitch because of the distance from Cornwall they suggested I use a local dealer. Rang the local van center and was informed they could only deal with the van side of things and not the camper parts. I was advised to contact Yeoman's at Exeter who were very helpful and booked us in for late October. I am hoping by then VW will have a proper solution to the problem. Everything

Oh thanks for that.

Is late October for diagnosis or diagnosis and repair?

Our remote dealer also suggested we take ours locally and Yeomans are our local dealer. They were Carrs when we last visited there and we just didn't get a warm feeling about pushing an order with them.

But I'm seeing them tomorrow hopefully for a key to be coded and paired so I'll reserve judgement on the new owners.

As ours is only 2 weeks old I want the original dealers to diagnose and sort as for 1 month and 6 months we have much stronger consumer rights.

Not sure it’s a case of the dealer being proactive. It’s the case of vw themselves having no fix , and even replacement bellows leak.

Not sure it’s a case of the dealer being proactive. It’s the case of vw themselves having no fix , and even replacement bellows leak.
Yeah understand that. What I was meaning is that some dealers appear to recognise and log a fault with video footage and photos.

Others appear much less willing to accept there's a problem out there.

So I took mine in today, and the salesman / manager agreed to buy me a poptop cover if I wanted to keep the vehicle , or also agreed to cancel my contract if I wanted to.
Do we think vw will replace these bellows eventually ?
What poptop covers are best if I decided to go that route ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back