Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

2023 Ocean leaking roof fabric

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the issues with our brand new Cali continue. After having to have a brand fridge fitted as the original never worked, we have now discovered that a seam in the roof fabric leaks water when it is raining.
Yesterday was the first day away in the van, when we have encountered rain. Whilst sat looking forward, I noticed water dripping onto the seats. When I looked up, water was running in all along the seam that runs along the bottom of the semi circle window (photo attached). The ledge at the bottom where the light switch is was soaked with water. My local van centre have stated that there is a £320 charge for investigating water ingress, which will be payable if the issue isn’t covered under warranty (I’m pretty sure it will be).
Has anyone else had issues with leaking bellows on an Ocean 6.1 with the new fabric?

View attachment 108249
I had the exact same problem with mine . I sent a video in to vw but they didn't believe me. The roof control panel above also started to lock up due to water ingress and i wasnt able to close the roof for some hours to before it dried afyer which i could close the roof. Eventaully the panel must have fully dried and the control panel finally worked fully. so much water had come in the seats were soaking wet.They took my van in under watranty and changed the aerial block above incase the leak was coming through that. I haven't been out to camp on the rain since but strongly doubt that was the cause.

20230411_164143.jpg

I had the exact same problem with mine . I sent a video in to vw but they didn't believe me. The roof control panel above also started to lock up due to water ingress and i wasnt able to close the roof for some hours to before it dried afyer which i could close the roof. Eventaully the panel must have fully dried and the control panel finally worked fully. so much water had come in the seats were soaking wet.They took my van in under watranty and changed the aerial block above incase the leak was coming through that. I haven't been out to camp on the rain since but strongly doubt that was the cause.

View attachment 113154
Sounds like you have an incompetent dealer. No way a leak through the roof barnacle would cause droplets to form like that.

I enjoy driving it, cockpit is good . And it will be handy for my biking / kayaking days out.
Shame it’s not as good on the camping aspects…
Hmmm…. I recommend you try a Mercedes Marco Polo :thumb

Fully agree. Hopefully yours also gets fixed soon and you continue to bring your considered view and coming experience to the forum.

It feels like, from considered members responses, that things are finally moving, if no light quite yet.
Experience comes in many forms and we all have it in different ways, to varying degrees and can offer different perspectives. I prefer an environment where we can support each other with what we know in any way possible, and that can be in lots of different ways that none of us can fulfil entirely (Cali experience of course, legal experience, personal experiences, etc.). I struggle to see the motivation of people to be rude and insult others they don’t even know. Perhaps they have too much time on their hands. It makes the atmosphere sour and turns it into a bad place for everybody else, whilst embarrassing themselves. Perhaps this thread can stay on track now and stick to the leaking bellows issue.

On that subject I’m about to collect my van - bellows replaced! I’ll be opening the roof in the rain at the first opportunity and keeping EVERYTHING crossed….!!!

Experience comes in many forms and we all have it in different ways, to varying degrees and can offer different perspectives. I prefer an environment where we can support each other with what we know in any way possible, and that can be in lots of different ways that none of us can fulfil entirely (Cali experience of course, legal experience, personal experiences, etc.). I struggle to see the motivation of people to be rude and insult others they don’t even know. Perhaps they have too much time on their hands. It makes the atmosphere sour and turns it into a bad place for everybody else, whilst embarrassing themselves. Perhaps this thread can stay on track now and stick to the leaking bellows issue.

On that subject I’m about to collect my van - bellows replaced! I’ll be opening the roof in the rain at the first opportunity and keeping EVERYTHING crossed….!!!
Given I don’t think there has been an actual design change yet take some towels! Good luck.

I enjoy driving it, cockpit is good . And it will be handy for my biking / kayaking days out.
Shame it’s not as good on the camping aspects…
Did you get all your other issues sorted then (sagging pop top, leaking tailgate, broken front window blind clip, bubbling paint on the passenger door)? It really is the volte-face from a couple of weeks ago.

I think someone suggested the Marco Polo because it’s a Westfalia conversion on a MB platform and you might get the perfect camper for you.

I think someone suggested the Marco Polo because it’s a Westfalia conversion on a MB platform and you might get the perfect camper for you.
Oh yes the ultra reliable Marco Polo
Recall for fire risk due to chafing electrics
Recall due to top bed mounts corroding
Rear springs snapping & unavailable
Complete roof replacements due to bubbling paint / blisters

Just head on over to their forum to see just a slightly different set of faults to a VW. Main difference is that as there are so few of them about there's only a handful of people with each fault, but that handful represents a high percentage of owners.

Did you get all your other issues sorted then (sagging pop top, leaking tailgate, broken front window blind clip, bubbling paint on the passenger door)? It really is the volte-face from a couple of weeks ago.

Yes currently in getting those issues sorted.
Doesn’t take away thee fact that for 70k these vehicles are woeful. My mind won’t be changed , but hopefully I’ll see the financial benefit of keeping hold of it for a Couple of years

View attachment 113154
You seem to be in the same position as me. Leaking bellows and not being believed let alone being offered any kind of repair/fix, whilst others are getting great support from their dealers. Which dealership are you using?

I am currently working on a solution similar to this with Volkswagen at the moment as a momentary resolution in the interim.

I’m awaiting the response from Brand to put this into place.
Not familiar with the technical terms.

By "Brand" does that mean you are waiting approval from VW or your specific dealership?

Appreciate you are driving this initiative - and fair play to you for not dismissing your customer issues - may I ask if VW is funding it and if so if it's likely to be rolled out across the dealer network.

Well it has changed massively in the last 2 days, why wouldn't it change again?
Why’s it changed in the past two days ?
I’ve always said these vehicles are aweduk for the price you pay, that’s not changed.
I still have the choice to either reject or keep it with the solutions from my dealer.
Even if new bellows don’t get released or redesigned within 12 months I can still reject.
No one knows what decision I’ve Made, so how has it changed?
I’ve Been given two options from my dealer to think on. In the mean time it’s in the dealership getting fixed.
People don’t need to try and be smart arses

Not familiar with the technical terms.

By "Brand" does that mean you are waiting approval from VW or your specific dealership?

Appreciate you are driving this initiative - and fair play to you for not dismissing your customer issues - may I ask if VW is funding it and if so if it's likely to be rolled out across the dealer network.
I am awaiting confirmation from Volkswagen but we are the only dealership to raise this directly to Volkswagen.

I can’t guarantee my plan will get rolled out to the whole network.

That's a real shame. My MY22 is fantastic, exceeded my expectations.
Mine too despite the potential for MY23 bellows leaks and an actual leak through the tailgate seal. It was easy to pull the seal out a couple mm but unsure if problem solved as I have yet to get it wet.
I have the infrequent fridge going off so I keep an eye on that.
Other than those minor niggles it is brilliant and like @66tim99 says, exceeds expectations.

Yes currently in getting those issues sorted.
Doesn’t take away thee fact that for 70k these vehicles are woeful. My mind won’t be changed , but hopefully I’ll see the financial benefit of keeping hold of it for a Couple of years
I agree that the price tag raises expectations on what is essentially a van and, in comparison with a £75k car, it is always going to come off worse. I also agree that the faults being discussed are annoying and shouldn’t be happening. However, I personally believe it is unfair to say these vehicles are woeful. Once the issues are sorted out under warranty, I can’t think of a better vehicle, at any price, to fulfil the design brief. New conversions are often in a similar price bracket to a Cali and they have basic spec, carpet up the walls, shorter warranty, poorer residuals, no OEM feel and problems of their own which are not backed up by a major car manufacturer. Westfalia conversions based on a variety of vans are great but even more expensive than a Cali. I do think it needs to be kept in perspective.

I agree that the price tag raises expectations on what is essentially a van and, in comparison with a £75k car, it is always going to come off worse. I also agree that the faults being discussed are annoying and shouldn’t be happening. However, I personally believe it is unfair to say these vehicles are woeful. Once the issues are sorted out under warranty, I can’t think of a better vehicle, at any price, to fulfil the design brief. New conversions are often in a similar price bracket to a Cali and they have basic spec, carpet up the walls, shorter warranty, poorer residuals, no OEM feel and problems of their own which are not backed up by a major car manufacturer. Westfalia conversions based on a variety of vans are great but even more expensive than a Cali. I do think it needs to be kept in perspective.
Like i said, we all have opinions.
This isn’t the only campervan I’ve had, I’ve had conversions before , transporters which then I’ve Paid to get converted . Overall cost about 47k - and not had one single issue with that in 3 years.
So to say these 70k vehicles are woeful is only correct I believe.

Why’s it changed in the past two days ?

"A roof topper isn’t going to stop me from rejecting a 72k vehicle I’m afraid"

to "But if they supply me with a Cali top and put knew bellows in that don’t leak I’d be happy."

And. "It’s a joke, and I really don’t understand why these vehicles get such a following. They are awful."
to
"I enjoy driving it, cockpit is good . And it will be handy for my biking / kayaking days out. "

If that isn't a compete U turn I don't know what is, ever thought of becoming a politician?

Like i said, we all have opinions.
This isn’t the only campervan I’ve had, I’ve had conversions before , transporters which then I’ve Paid to get converted . Overall cost about 47k - and not had one single issue with that in 3 years.
So to say these 70k vehicles are woeful is only correct I believe.
Opinions aren’t facts and I can respect your right to hold an opinion without agreeing with it. If I held your opinion though, I’m not sure I’d be considering living with the van for a couple of years just to make some coin. I’d be moving on and finding enjoyment in another van.

I’ve noticed that but the whole front of mine went dark. On the inside the canvas felt colder to touch there and had a slightly clammy feel to it like it was wet on the other side. The bottom of my canvas is full of pin prick holes. The bottom is where water was getting through.

View attachment 113014

View attachment 113015

View attachment 113016
Yes, very similar. In our case almost all the front of the canvas went a darker colour as if it was sodden as opposed to just wet.

Opinions aren’t facts and I can respect your right to hold an opinion without agreeing with it. If I held your opinion though, I’m not sure I’d be considering living with the van for a couple of years just to make some coin. I’d be moving on and finding enjoyment in another van.
That is YOUR opinion.

Van back with me now, and what a nice feeling it is to have it back! Not tested in the rain but had a good look at the canvas. The outer material is identical, but there are fewer pin holes and it doesn’t feel under quite as much tension, but the sides are still straight. It feels super higher quality to be honest, so let’s hope it doesn’t leak like the last one. Here are some before and after pics…

1692361166261.jpeg1692361190367.jpeg

1692361261992.jpeg

1692361286226.jpeg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back