Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

2nd leisure batterie - do i need it

monster-mash

monster-mash

Vehicle
N/A
Hi, I have posted on here before but i always feel a little bit of a fake reason being we don't have a Cali we have a T5 Sportline that has morphed over the last four years or so. In a nutshell we always fancied the open roads weekends away etc now the kids have their own lives but thought lets half the budget and take it from there. We are both keen cyclist and worked out how to carry two bikes in the rear of the van without taking up valued space so from that i fitted a Cali roof (the best IMO) we then thought lets have the Cali kitchen too and as ours is not a Combi it has to be fitted to the off side whilst maintaining space to the rear for our bikes - easy eh.
If you have snubbed us by now fair enough i wont be disappointed o_O;) anyway my question as we are now in the position of fitting the kitchen "will we need the second battery"?
We are using all the standard fittings found in a 2009 Cali the fridge, water controls & roof all controlled centrally from the Camping Controller, only thing we don't have is the heating blower - not looked into it as we use a thermo controlled oil fired radiator, appreciate we need to be plugged in on site but that's what we look for
at the moment.
Appreciate any information/advise and thankyou

I think it depends how big your single battery is? I think the 2 Cali batteries are 80amph each (someone will correct/confirm). My older Cali has a single battery, but its 120Amph from memory.
Your single battery will be enough for your fridge on days out etc - if you are using hook ups on sites. I think T5 Cali owners claim 4 days fridge use on 2 batts, so perhaps 2 days?

I suppose as T4WFA says. How long do you wish to run fridge etc: without EHU ( Mains ). If you are always going to be on EHU, then 1 battery should do.
However, if you plan to use it OFF EHU then a large Leisure Battery would be better. As you have the California kitchen, then the normal locations for the Leisure Batteries are limited in size and that is why the California has 2 batteries, 2 x 75amp, I think.

Sounds like you've got a pretty good setup there. I'd finish the job and fit a parking heater and then, a second leisure battery. On the T4, the option of heater dictated the second battery..

Thanks for your replays all, yes 75 amp hour or there abouts is our current. I was really confirming what in reality folk use as I am in the position of going either way, I think I will stop the second battery cables in unconnected stick with the one battery see what happens and take it from there.

Back