Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

30mm lowering springs for 2012 cali berghaus

P

paul hughes

VIP Member
hi can any on help me, has any one fitted 30mm lowering springs to a 2012 califonia. vw parts tell me there they don,t list springs to fit campers only for vans.
Collecting from the dealer tomorrow has anyone any usefull tips for the first outing this weekend.

thanks paul

Hi Paul ... I have the springs on my berg ,but had them done before I took delivery of the Cali ... They are a Cali accessory and warranted as fitted by Vw .. I do have the box with the og springs in ,so if you wanted the part number I could sort it out for you .. They have hardened up the rise from when I tried the demo berg and slightly better read holding .. The 18" wheels do make it a harder ride as well ,but I'm used to a firm riding car ,so it doesn't bother me ..

Got them on mine too Paul. Someone is telling you porkies.

Shame you couldn't get them done as if fitted pre delivery they benefit from the 3 year VW new vehicle warranty.

Stu said:

Shame you couldn't get them done as if fitted pre delivery they benefit from the 3 year VW new vehicle warranty.

Yep, same here, had them done prior to delivery, so it's all under same 3 year warranty.

Creates a few more rattles than I would have liked, but I'm on a mission to sort it all out!

Rilla said:
Stu said:

Yep, same here, had them done prior to delivery, so it's all under same 3 year warranty.

Creates a few more rattles than I would have liked, but I'm on a mission to sort it all out!

yeap....table rattle is a nice one and some of the roof bed slats and i have one i can't find ... :doh and not liking the pot holes

I have asked for these in our Berg prior to taking delivery of it. We have used a van for 3 weeks as standard so will be a interesting comparison

Markm said:
I have asked for these in our Berg prior to taking delivery of it. We have used a van for 3 weeks as standard so will be a interesting comparison

It would be good if you could compare - I have thought about lowering Springs I just don't like the idea of a harder rider and rattles.

I live in an area where this makes a real difference.

As, and this may be, I quite like the handling in the Cali as it is.

But I know it really gives the Cali a nice stance and look when lowered, so a comparison would be great.

James

thanks for the prompt replys, the part number & may be the dealers name that fitted them would be great. has any one any pics of their cali's with the lower springs fitted.
many thanks comrades.

My box is in the loft so I can't easily get the PN for you I'm afraid but I'm sure Lee will oblige.

As for dealerships it depends a little on where you are based. Mine were fitted in Hatfield, Lee's in Kent and if you give Alex a shout at SMG Cowfold I know he'll give you a price that will make quite a saving on RRP and more than cover the cost of VIP membership (required to get the discount)

The 18" wheels make alot of difference on their own with the low profile rubber in them ... I drove a standard with 16" a Berg with the 18" and mine and they all drove great ..the 18" do make the ride harder and the upgrade makes it firmer as well as harder and slightly bouncy at times on a dippy road strangely enough ... And it's nowhere near as quiet ,so you do loose the luxury feel and get a more sport car feel ....

A few comparisons below with a standard setup, HY11 DEN is one of the BMVS rental fleet.

Cali3.JPG

Cali2.JPG

Cali4.JPG

Cali1.JPG

Cali5.JPG

Your all making me wonder now if I should take the van standard and then drop it later if it's too wallowy.

Then again I suppose I could go back to standards if we find the ride too bouncy.

The berg in them pictures looks really slammed especially at the front end

It does look lower than the 30mm that is claimed.

Main reason to get it done prior to collection is for the full 3 year warranty. If you fit later, you only get 12 months.

My main reason for getting it done is cosmetic, there's no big difference in handling. They handle and ride well considering all the heavy guff you're carrying around!

I would say if you are thinking of lowering the van because you feel the standard set up is not great or that it wallows - don't worry.

It's not a sports car but the Cali has great steering with great feedback and even my 115 bhp with 16 inch tree hugger wheels handles nicely and takes bends well - at times fun. You never forget it is a van but I have driven cars that handle worse

There is bounce and high winds do it no favours but I'd say the Cali can be quite good fun to drive.

James

Surely if the dealer told porkies you should be able to talk to VW CS & persude them to get springs retro fitted with full 3 year warranty.

Andy said:

Surely if the dealer told porkies you should be able to talk to VW CS & persude them to get springs retro fitted with full 3 year warranty.

Yes - dealers should know their stuff and be able to give you the 'low down' :rofl

Okay - I'll get my coat...

If fitted after PDI you get a two year unlimited mileage warranty, not 12 months.

We can certainly fit them for you and we can do it whilst you waited which would be about four hours in total.

cheers

Rilla said:
A few comparisons below with a standard setup, HY11 DEN is one of the BMVS rental fleet.

Cali3.JPG

Cali2.JPG

Cali4.JPG

Cali1.JPG

Cali5.JPG

You can't beat the class of a grey berg :)
(sorry guys I'm slightly biased. ).. Lol

choplee said:
Rilla said:

Cali3.JPG

Cali2.JPG

Cali4.JPG

Cali1.JPG

Cali5.JPG

You can't beat the class of a grey berg :)
(sorry guys I'm slightly biased. ).. Lol

I prefer the 18 inch wheels to the lowering - but I understand why people want them lowered.

Grey Bergs are okay... lol

: :thumb

What about blue ones?

James