Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6.1 VW 30mm lowering springs ?

Thanks. They wern't interested when I was looking to buy a Cali so i'd sort of ruled them out for servicing or other work. Would you recommend them?
Absolutely not, bunch of clowns ! There was a nice sales guy called Darryl when I looked to buy in January but their discount was rubbish - not his fault ! He's now left.

I mistakenly thought I'd give them a go with some warranty work and the lowering springs. They had the van 2 weeks and I had to constantly chase them. When I picked it up last Friday there was damage to the rear bumper, nearly one week on still trying to talk to the service manager although promised he'd ring me on Tuesday. Apparently he's "too busy" to call me. Absolutely fuming, if he doesn't talk to me tomorrow I will get straight onto the MD and if no joy, straight to the small claims court. I'm not pi**ing about with idiots like this. They are arrogant, rude and treat you with contempt. Probably not that unusual for many VW dealers......
I totally agree and that's why I travel to VW South Hereford for all my servicing. It is a combined VW Commercial and Car setup, all under one roof. You are treated no differently and they often have a California on display amongst the cars { not at the moment as they have moved vehicles out of the showroom to make more room for the Covid spacing }. A good day out in Hereford and courtesy vehicles as long as you book ahead. Very happy for the past 6 years.

I totally agree and that's why I travel to VW South Hereford for all my servicing. It is a combined VW Commercial and Car setup, all under one roof. You are treated no differently and they often have a California on display amongst the cars { not at the moment as they have moved vehicles out of the showroom to make more room for the Covid spacing }. A good day out in Hereford and courtesy vehicles as long as you book ahead. Very happy for the past 6 years.
This sounds like gold advice we should all note. I wonder if there’s a similar set up anywhere nearer to London? Marshall’s look like a candidate - cars and van sales. What should we really look for @WelshGas?

This sounds like gold advice we should all note. I wonder if there’s a similar set up anywhere nearer to London? Marshall’s look like a candidate - cars and van sales. What should we really look for @WelshGas?
I really don't know. Have you checked out the Dealers Review section?

Had a quick search but couldb’t find anything so apologies for posting if this covered elsewhere. My Cali is having the VW 30mm lowering springs fitted next week. Do I need to inform my insurance company of this modification?

Had a quick search but couldb’t find anything so apologies for posting if this covered elsewhere. My Cali is having the VW 30mm lowering springs fitted next week. Do I need to inform my insurance company of this modification?
I did, for good measure. I don’t recall that it impacted my premium in a material way (I got premium quotes before and after the declaration as part of the process)

I read on here to declare anything non-standard, Eg. Bike rack, side bars

You must inform them of all modifications or they could deem that the vehicle is not as declared and not pay out in a major claim.

They seem not to charge for one mod but do if more added.
eg. No extra for air suspension and front & rear spoilers but then they mentioned those when remap done and added £30.

A Towbar is classed as a modification.

Last edited:
I have just had the new VW 30mm lowering springs fitted to my T6.1 Ocean after a lengthy wait for the new revised springs.

It has definitely lowered by 30mm all round but the rear is 30mm lower than the front ( I measured from the centre of the wheel to the underside if the wheel arch) You can see it in the photo - so the van appears to be sloping down to the rear.

Does anyone know if this is correct ? The rear is not particularly loaded, most of our camping stuff is not on board.

I must say the handling around corners is vastly improved, there is just so much less bodyroll. It also doesn't appear to be much more 'crashy' over bumps.
That looks incorrect, with the vehicle sitting at kerb weight (no occupants)you would actually expect to see more air over tyre at the rear, the drawing shown in the below comment actually shows the vehicle at a loaded condition probably with all occupants and luggage. I would go back to the garage, if the vehicle looks taildown with nothing in it when you load it up it could look overloaded and in extreme cases you can get pulled over.

Had 30mm lowering springs fitted to my 2018 t6 beach at Manchester vw as I need to get in basement car park...ride is very crashy

That looks incorrect, with the vehicle sitting at kerb weight (no occupants)you would actually expect to see more air over tyre at the rear, the drawing shown in the below comment actually shows the vehicle at a loaded condition probably with all occupants and luggage. I would go back to the garage, if the vehicle looks taildown with nothing in it when you load it up it could look overloaded and in extreme cases you can get pulled over.
Incorrect I'm afraid. The Front wheel arch is cut higher than the rear. Measure from the window line to Apex of wheel arch to confirm. Rear distance is greater than Front distance, ie:: Rear arch is lower than Front arch.

Incorrect I'm afraid. The Front wheel arch is cut higher than the rear. Measure from the window line to Apex of wheel arch to confirm. Rear distance is greater than Front distance, ie:: Rear arch is lower than Front arch.

firstly that’s not the way you measure ride heights, the window or belt line is irrelevant and only related to appearance. If you look at the tech drawing and zoom in you will see the text, road plane with vehicle loaded, you will also see a different SLR on the rear tyre in relation to the ground. That’s because it’s showing the vehicle loaded, in fact it’s loaded to GCIE mass 3 which is a common loading on these type of drawings that are shared between OEM for bench marking purposes. It’s also the condition they use to share ground clearance as well which you can also see on the drawing. I am a designer working in commercial vehicle design specializing in vehicle attitudes and ground clearance. The vehicle should not look loaded before you put anything in it , if it does there’s something wrong.

firstly that’s not the way you measure ride heights, the window or belt line is irrelevant and only related to appearance. If you look at the tech drawing and zoom in you will see the text, road plane with vehicle loaded, you will also see a different SLR on the rear tyre in relation to the ground. That’s because it’s showing the vehicle loaded, in fact it’s loaded to GCIE mass 3 which is a common loading on these type of drawings that are shared between OEM for bench marking purposes. It’s also the condition they use to share ground clearance as well which you can also see on the drawing. I am a designer working in commercial vehicle design specializing in vehicle attitudes and ground clearance. The vehicle should not look loaded before you put anything in it , if it does there’s something wrong.
I agree it’s not the way to measure ride height, but most owners don’t have the ability to do it correctly.
However, it still does not alter the fact, that whichever way you measure it, on empty panel vans or. California Ocean the apex of the wheel arches front and rear are different either measured from a datum point above or below as the front arch is cut higher on the body compared to the rear, so the “ apparant “ sagging of the rear of the vehicle is an optical illusion.

+1 on WG comments about VW South Hereford; knowledgeable technicians and helpful service desk.

Had 30mm lowering springs fitted to my 2018 t6 beach at Manchester vw as I need to get in basement car park...ride is very crashy
What size wheels do you have?

The front wheel arch is cut higher than the rear, by design.
Do Not measure from wheel centre to wheel arch, but wheel centre to horizontal body line.

The reason is fairly simple. On standard suspension and wheels, the rear wheel moves up within the arch when the suspension is compressed.
The front, also moves up within the wheel arch when compressed and steering straight ahead BUT if not steering straight ahead but turning the turned wheels could foul the wheel arch, hence the front arches are higher. Remember, it is a van, used to carry heavy loads and the suspension and suspension is a compromise between heavy and light loads capability.

Eg:
View attachment 70275
This diagram does not make sense to me, the bottom of the rear tyre is 'below' the shown ground level whilst the bottom of the front tyre is on ground level as you'd expect. Why would the bottom of the rear tyre be 'below' ground level ??

This diagram does not make sense to me, the bottom of the rear tyre is 'below' the shown ground level whilst the bottom of the front tyre is on ground level as you'd expect. Why would the bottom of the rear tyre be 'below' ground level ??
No idea, but it could be to take account of tyre compression. The front is the same to a lesser degree if you enlarge the photo. Most of the weight of rear seats and load would be transferred to the rear when static. A question for VW technical.

16” original
OK. If they had been larger wheels then reducing the size with the correct sized tyres would have given higher sidewalls so dampening the suspension for a more comfortable ride.
If you are running 215 tyres then these run at a higher pressure, 235 tyres run at a lower pressure.
But basically, shorter springs, shorter movement, stiffer ride. Different shock absorbers might help.

OK. If they had been larger wheels then reducing the size with the correct sized tyres would have given higher sidewalls so dampening the suspension for a more comfortable ride.
If you are running 215 tyres then these run at a higher pressure, 235 tyres run at a lower pressure.
But basically, shorter springs, shorter movement, stiffer ride. Different shock absorbers might help.
Still under warranty so will leave for now
I just thought it wouldn’t have been so extreme, possible bad install, especially as still on original wheels

They are showing a completely round tyre for pictorial purposes only, rather than draw a flat at the bottom of the tyre which is what you actual get on all tyres under load they show the reduced radius under the given weight -semi circle on drawing (static loaded radius or SLR) the ground plane or line moves up with the SLR’s to show the vehicle attitude at the given weight (rather than the whole vehicle moving down)If you zoom in to the front wheel you will also see that the completely round tyre is also below the ground line and just above it is the correct SLR (another semi circle).

They are showing a completely round tyre for pictorial purposes only, rather than draw a flat at the bottom of the tyre which is what you actual get on all tyres under load they show the reduced radius under the given weight -semi circle on drawing (static loaded radius or SLR) the ground plane or line moves up with the SLR’s to show the vehicle attitude at the given weight (rather than the whole vehicle moving down)If you zoom in to the front wheel you will also see that the completely round tyre is also below the ground line and just above it is the correct SLR (another semi circle).
Excellent, thanks.

Agree. My -30mm lasted a year and just picked it up after having B14 Komfort Coilovers fitted today. Min drop of 40mm

Wow, wow, wow what a difference. Instantly noticeable even on a smooth road. Big smile. Even managed to reduce the internal rattles..... VERY HAPPPPPPPY and my steering wheel is now straight......