4 years and 77,000 mile Service

WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Well, an expensive day but expected and planned for.
My California 180 SE is now 4 yrs old and has completed 77,000 miles. It went into South Hereford VW yesterday for a very, very large service. I was given a brand new LWB T6, 102 manual. Drove very well, quit pokey but it was empty and only a 5 speed box. MPG was 45 on a 128 mile round trip. Quit impressive really. Very basic but it did have reversing sensors thank goodness.

Anyway, the Service comprised of the following:-

MOT
Full Service including fuel, air filters oil etc:
Cambelt & Water Pump
AirCon Service
Haldex oil change
DSG oil & filter change
Brake Fluid Change
Front & Rear Brake Pads + Front Discs
( Interesting about the brakes. Original pads after 77,000 miles Front worn 70% and Rear 90%. Front discs had corrosion on the rear + ridge formation . Front face of discs were fine. Rear discs were as new. On their advice, which I agreed with as I have some long trips in the next 12 months, all pads were changed + front discs )

Workshop Recall for Roof Corrosion - more about that on the appropriate thread - just say I was very happy.

Parts £744.73 Labour £870.14 VAT £313.17

Incidental fact Tyres. I have Michelin Cross Climate on for the past 17,000 miles. Tread Depth

F NS 5.6
F OS 5.7
R NS 6
R OS 6

Seeing as they started at 8mm it looks like 34,000 is easily possible.

do you have a breakdown of where the money was spent on parts and labour please?

I have had Audi's for many years, and their bills were always high....then they had the nerve to tell me they had thrown in a 'free' wash!

do you have a breakdown of where the money was spent on parts and labour please?

I have had Audi's for many years, and their bills were always high....then they had the nerve to tell me they had thrown in a 'free' wash!
Hope this will do.

Attachments

• Untitled.pages.pdf
    532.6 KB · Views: 236
I´ve had a couple of those big bills in the early days :headbang
Your next service should´t be much.:thumb

That’s great mileage on the tyres.
Do they have the snowflake symbol...?
How are they in the white stuff...?
Any increase in Road noise...?

That’s great mileage on the tyres.
Do they have the snowflake symbol...?
How are they in the white stuff...?
Any increase in Road noise...?
Yes
No problem when the “ Beast from the East “ visited.
Seem quieter than the Goodyear Cargo Vector 4Seasons
MPG improved by 2 mpg over the Goodyear’s.

Don’t forget I have a 4Motion, so no front wheel spin.

Last edited:
Ouch.

Big bill, but worth it.
I’ve just bought a 2011 with 78000, I need to look again through the service history and see what’s not been done ;)

Good afternoon,

I need to let this sink in = ~ 124.000 km and an invoice for service over ~ EUR 2,200.

Well, I wouldn't have expected that much. Before the van I had a Tiguan, which I traded in for the van with 90.000 km.

The Tiguan had a 2 L 140 hps engine (189). I never paid more then EUR 400.00 for a full service. Have I said that I have been warned that for the next service the change of the oil for the DSG was due - which on its own suppose to be very expensive. Obviously the SUV was lighter than the van, but I did not have to change the break discs.

I have to get use to it, that to buy and own a VW California is an expensive business. :(

Regards,
Eberhard

did you consider using the VIP membership for a discounted service bill?

Good afternoon,

I need to let this sink in = ~ 124.000 km and an invoice for service over ~ EUR 2,200.

Well, I wouldn't have expected that much. Before the van I had a Tiguan, which I traded in for the van with 90.000 km.

The Tiguan had a 2 L 140 hps engine (189). I never paid more then EUR 400.00 for a full service. Have I said that I have been warned that for the next service the change of the oil for the DSG was due - which on its own suppose to be very expensive. Obviously the SUV was lighter than the van, but I did not have to change the break discs.

I have to get use to it, that to buy and own a VW California is an expensive business. :(

Regards,
Eberhard
Don't forget that Welshgas has paid for the 4x4 Haldex service and DSG service at the same time as major service, a/c service, cambelt change and new brakes. Not all these apply to everyone's Cali and could be split up into several visits/bills.

did you consider using the VIP membership for a discounted service bill?
It was Discounted, basically labour for some items was reduced due to promotions.

Don't forget that Welshgas has paid for the 4x4 Haldex service and DSG service at the same time as major service, a/c service, cambelt change and new brakes. Not all these apply to everyone's Cali and could be split up into several visits/bills.
Correct. Next Service will be minimal in comparison.
I could have forgone the Front Discs if I wished but safety comes first.

Good afternoon,

Regards,
Eberhard
At 60,000 miles or a about 90,000 km I didn't have big service bills .
I had a Perfect Storm, but it was expected.. next service will just be an oil change.

Good evening,

Is the Service for the Haldex and Dsg really so expensive?

I have to Google it what does that actually means .

Regards,
Eberhard

Good evening,

Is the Service for the Haldex and Dsg really so expensive?

I have to Google it what does that actually means .

Regards,
Eberhard
Yes. Haldex £72.34 DSG £205.84 both exclusive of VAT.

Don’t forget Brake Fluid change at 40,000 miles or I believe 2 years.

It’s not that bad when spread over 2 years. On my old Defender Gearbox and Diffs had oil changes annually. Admittedly the oils used were lower tech and cheaper.

@WelshGas

Do we need to service the aux heater?, roof? or any other 'special' equipment stuff we get with a Cali ?

yes, one needs to study the service booklet for what is due when, and plan well in advance for expensive maintenance when the van gets older... :Nailbiting

E.g. we just had the Gates couplings changed at 185.000 (they are due at 180.000), that's an expensive change as well (€ 760 list, incl. VAT, for parts and labour). The 2-mass flywheel part alone is nearly € 1,000 list, incl. VAT, if that needs changing (which, at some point, is inevitable). Or the coupling plates and pressure group...: easy some other € 1,500 incl VAT for parts and labour, and also, at some point, inevitable...

But 2-mass flywheel at 77,000 miles seems a tad early??

@WelshGas

Do we need to service the aux heater?, roof? or any other 'special' equipment stuff we get with a Cali ?
No. VW do not have a Servicing Schedule for the Webasto Coolant Heater or the Eberspacher Parking Heater, nor the roof which is a Sealed System.

Back