Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Service and brakes

capt kirk

capt kirk

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi guys and gals
Ive just had a service done on the van and the service agent has just told me i need new disks and brake pads on the rear due to excessive corrosion. The van is less than three years old and done 16k. I havnt got it back yet but ive told them to leave it and i will sort it out. Seems a bit early for disks and brake pads. What do you all think

Hi guys and gals
Ive just had a service done on the van and the service agent has just told me i need new disks and brake pads on the rear due to excessive corrosion. The van is less than three years old and done 16k. I havnt got it back yet but ive told them to leave it and i will sort it out. Seems a bit early for disks and brake pads. What do you all think
The low mileage may be a contributory factor rather than a mitigating one. Infrequent use during the winter when there is a lot of salt on the road can lead to disc corrosion before expected. It would seem wise to get a second opinion and change them yourself or have a third party change them if the cost VW are quoting is higher than you want to pay. Good luck.

Hi guys and gals
16k miles in 3 years is the reason. Had my pads done and front discs, my choice, due to minor corrosion on inside surface at 77k and 4 yrs.

Well the key here is Service Agent. It’s his purpose in life to cost you money.
The only person to listen to is the MOT guy. If he says fail then replace. In the meantime take it for a good drive. Get it up to speed then stand on the middle peddle. Repeat several times till you have nice shiny discs.

Use the van often.

My front and rear disks are rustfree (apart from the unused surfaces for braking).
Front:
IMG_20200504_122715.jpg
Rear:
IMG_20200519_124606.jpg
150000 km in almost 11 years.
Only had to change the rear pads at 90000km (or at least before 100 000 km).

Well the key here is Service Agent. It’s his purpose in life to cost you money.
The only person to listen to is the MOT guy. If he says fail then replace. In the meantime take it for a good drive. Get it up to speed then stand on the middle peddle. Repeat several times till you have nice shiny discs.

Use the van often.
Good luck if you have some of these:
1599242638161.png
You will never get rid of the rust on disks like this.

I seem to remember that it used to be possible to have discs skimmed. Is this uneconomic nowadays, or too much of a faff?

I seem to remember that it used to be possible to have discs skimmed. Is this uneconomic nowadays, or too much of a faff?
Faf. Just go to GSF and get some new ones.

An Italian tune up is useful for many things.

Hi guys and gals

VW discs are pants. I changed mine due to corrosion during lockdown and stayed with the VW offerings. Was alarmed to see corrosion on them the other day (only a few months old) . I dont seem to have the same issue with my other 3 vehicles.

VW discs are pants.
Yours maybe?
Mine don't suffer from all this.
The van has been idle for over 1 month without problems.
I had even washed the van at the beginning of the lockdown.
Strange.

I think we get the throwbacks from VW in the UK. The Wife's Toyota's brake discs are like brand new and used less.

I came out one morning and was like WTF. Looked at our other 3 vehicles and thought I should have put Brembo discs on.....

They must be the same awful quality as the cam belts...

I've had three T5s & one T6, each has done around 50,000 miles before I sold them and never had to change either pads or discs.
My campers do that amount of miles in between 3 & 4 years so do a bit less than 15,000 miles per year.
High disc and pad wear is almost always down to the type of use that the vehicle gets.

Here you go.. VW brake disc at 4 months old. Toyota's at 1year.

IMG_20200905_113357.jpg

IMG_20200905_113418.jpg

Forgot to add that's after a 25mile drive in the Cali this morning.

Had a similar on a Merc I had, I used to munch miles on the motorway with little use of brakes, the rear discs pitted badly over winter, salt etc. Not 3 years old. I now will drive occasionally with my foot on brake if I see surface rust appearing.

Second opinion came back as no issues, light corrosion and pads good. Bearing in mind i have mot coming up i bought a set of discs and pads. Got a bosch set for £128 inc vat from europarts on offer at the mo. I will change them when necessary. Both quotes came back at £250 for parts

Just because they offer you VW “Genuine” parts just means that you will probably need to replace them again at 30k miles. A better deal would be Brembo or Bosch, but even the cheaper discs will do the job just as well. I know when mine are due to be replaced I will probably go for Brembo...

Just because they offer you VW “Genuine” parts just means that you will probably need to replace them again at 30k miles. A better deal would be Brembo or Bosch, but even the cheaper discs will do the job just as well. I know when mine are due to be replaced I will probably go for Brembo...
Why?
My original VW pads were 90% worn at 77,000 miles. Front Discs some corrosion and mild ridging on inside. My decision to change pads and front disks as planning on a 6,000 mile trip to Norway.
So why the difference?

Back