Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Service and brakes

I would never go to Halfords for servicing etc....but they do have this deal that might be worth investigating:

I seem to remember that it used to be possible to have discs skimmed. Is this uneconomic nowadays, or too much of a faff?
Now that no asbestos in the pads they use softer disc metal which corrodes faster as well as wearing quicker making any skimming reducing the thickness to below operating level.
Definitely a replacement only item.

I dont know about softer metal. Non asbestos pads have a lower friction coefficient hence need more pressure to get the same braking effect. Harder pads, more pressure, hence more disc wear.
Discs are mafe from ferrous material so will always corrode to some extent. Possibly some manufactuers treat the non contact surfaces to prevent corrosion.

I would never go to Halfords for servicing etc....but they do have this deal that might be worth investigating:

Looks like shoes/pads only and further down says no commercials or vans.....oh well

All car and van discs are made from the same material. Cast iron. Unless you have a car with £5k ceramic set up.. They will all wear at the same rate unless you have a caliper imbalance or other fault. Some pads will cause the the discs to wear faster but they are mainly used on high performance cars to help improve braking. At one time it was worth having the disc skimmed but now because of most brake discs low cost it’s very rarely worth it..If I ever wash my car or van and the calipers And discs get wet I take it for a short run to get a bit of heat into them and dry them off..It’s never a good idea to was the cars wheels and just leave them for a long period of time as the could cause the discs to rust and the pads to stick to the disc.

Back