Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

4motion + diff lock ?

• Thread starter the_lecht_rocks
  • Start date
T

the_lecht_rocks

isthe mechanical differential locking system anecessity for the 4motion ?

we will be going into the mountains skiing with our 4motion cali 180 DSG.

thanks in advance :)

I think if you really "need" the 4motion then you probably need the diff lock too. I think it used to be included on the 4motion but VW have decided to monetise it as an option.

We have used our 4Motion in difficult circumstances, and haven't really needed the diff lock. The system works thus that if a wheel starts spinning on the front axle, more traction is sent to the rear and vice versa. In the unlikely event that you have wheels spinning on both the front and rear axles, the ESP/ABS systems jump in and start breaking the spinning wheel(s), thus sending more traction to the non-spinning wheels. This gives you a sort of 'electronic' central diff lock, if you will. For us, this has always been enough.

Yes, standard back in 2012 for ours. Used it once, but only because we had it.

As a cost option it is really playing into the fear factor of getting stuck that one time when you really need it....

I've been snowboarding in the Alpes in 2wd with snow tyres only, you will be fine.

I would suggest that if you are going into a situation where you need a mechanical central diff lock then you need a Land Rover Defender. The electronic 4Motion system will get you out of most situations and if it cannot then you shouldn't have been there in a California.

WelshGas said:
I would suggest that if you are going into a situation where you need a mechanical central diff lock then you need a Land Rover Defender. The electronic 4Motion system will get you out of most situations and if it cannot then you shouldn't have been there in a California.

I don't think a defender has sleeping for four, a sink, hob and a fridge though :D

thanks folks - as i suspected !

+ BMVS - I'd expect M&S tyres on 2WD to be somewhat effecive in winter conditions due to the Cali's weight, yes ?

I live near Cairngorm and plan to use our new Cali for skiing trips / winter camping. Any advice please gratefully requested :thanks

BMVS-Camper-Hire said:
WelshGas said:

I don't think a defender has sleeping for four, a sink, hob and a fridge though :D

....yes that's possible , i drove a Def for 10 years and at meetings you saw many conversions that had the comfort close to a Cali including a pop-top and 4 sleeping places( in 110 model )

As for the diff- lock , don't know on a Cali but on a LR Defender with Diff-lock on only drive at LOW speed and only straigt forward...diff-lock is indeed only neccesary in very heavy off-road conditions and if you get stuck in mud ,.... But accualy its better to swith diff-lock on BEFORE getting stuck

that is impressive - handy for mud / snow / sand - looks like a must have IMO.

I agree with the comment that snow tyres are the essential ingredient for driving in snow conditions, we have a full set of Conti wintervanco 2 tyres for winter use. If you have 4 motion as well that will no doubt help.

i live just outside cairngorm national park - we use winters on all our vehicles. will need for our Cali , but nae sure about the 4motion + diff lock. think we will go for it.

Land Rover Defender with pop-top roof and sleeping for 4

image.jpg

Told you so.... :mrgreen:
Thats a propper offroad verhickle with four sleeping places....
Cali's ar not made for offroad!

Btw , those who looked good at that first movie , could see that those where not normal tyres on that Cali but ....AT ' s or mayby muds.
Whats the point of having a diff-lock if you have standard road tyres? If your tyreprofile is filled with sand or mud ...the become slicks :doh

From the factory maybe not but there are plenty using T5's off road, Siekel do the suspension raising kits and underbody protection and snorkel plus a lower 1st gear. Maybe the full fat Cali is a bit heavy but I am planning on modifying our beach one day. There are a few Rockton based campers about. the advantage being the flat underside which has less to snag and slides easier than a land rover.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cccg1ifsJlE

and the camper

http://www.meescampercenter.be/en/compl ... roduct=276

Tyres though are the most important thing, Its law here in Switzerland but even in the UK 20 years ago I used to use snow tyres

I do Cairngorm/Glenshee/Glencoe/Nevis overnighters, wake in the morning drifted in and can get out no problem with no diff lock and winters on, never been stuck in snow and ice.
The ÂŁ???? option was better spent elsewhere IMO.

We are in West Stirlingshire and use the Cali 4 Motion year round up North. We fit Nokian winter tyres when the clocks change. IMO the winter tyres give much better stopping on roads when cold and wet. Have only needed the 4wd in serious weather and the diff lock only cos its there...... But it is pretty mean to make the diff lock an extra, but you do want to be able to lock up if the capability is there for 4wd. Once had an M class and fell through a culvert into a lake in France.... no diff lock, but saved by some passing bikers who all stood on the tail gate to weigh the car back onto the rear axle!! :sad

I don't exactly know (no space for a button?) why but here the choice was difflock or lane change assist but both could not be specced together. Hopefully use of the difflock is rare but I am an ex scout so being prepared was drummed into me :) The nokians are popular but I bough yokohamas for my landrover - still have then shame they won't fit the Beach, garage sale of landrover bits happening soon.

Picking up on an earlier comment re tyres.
Be mindful if ordering with 18 inch wheels from the factory.
Ours (factory, not dealer swapped) came with Conti SportContact 3 tyres which are very much a performance road tyre, and not what you'd expect on a 4motion.

We picked up a cheap set of steel wheels with M&S rated all-season tyres which we run in the winter.

Simon

Thats also a good reason to not order 4motion and/or diff-lock...
If you want to pimp your Cali , big alu wheels , lower suspention , towbar , mudflaps,..
Whats the use of those things on muddy/gravel tracks and off-road?
If you want to play in sand/mud order a Land Rover
If you go on winterhollydays , get yourself a set of steels/snowtyres
If you do get stuck , call help or get the rubber boots out and push like hell.... :mrgreen:

It's a good job i don't want to pimp mine in such a way then :) I guess everyone is different but I will never buy a 2wd car again and the locking diff seemed very difficult or expensive to add later so I personally decided to skimp on factory radio with a view to changing that later.

I am planning at some point on trips to Iceland and Norway though - well I can dream at least

I'll be taking my 4Motion 180 California to Nordkap in Norway, next year, to the campsite. Don't thing I'll need a diff lock, judging by the multitude of cars, campers and motor homes in the car park. :hello
http://nordkapp.livecam360.com/cam3/flash/main.php

Done a fair bit of off roading in ours and it does very well; only used diff lock once so far but it worked a treat. It took a few goes to disengage though.

A house that goes off road is simply awesome!

Really tested ours here in Spain; the side bars were essential...

Back