Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

4motion + diff lock ?

• Thread starter the_lecht_rocks
  • Start date
Do you have the original VW sidebars or something heavier, was going to order them but the kids are using the door step as seats when we stop and I wondered if it would work with the steps. No plans yet for extreme off road adventures BUT I like to keep the dream and the T5's do it with much more comfort than my old land rover.

Yep, OEM VW ones; they seem to work rather well as rock sliders!

Hotel; you can go a LOT further with 4motion, even on stock tyres.

Used diff lock once; it's very effective but took a while to disengage. Makes odd noises too!

Worry when the weird noises stop and the difflock light is still on. :help

WelshGas said:

That may have happened... It went out eventually though!

Hotel; why are you so anti 4motion and why bother posting in this thread? You clearly don't have a clue.

Psssst , just want to point out that I find it to much on a Cali , witch (correct me if wrong) still is a recreative camper vehicle that not even comes close to an offroader .

So if you don't mind.... :mrgreen:

hotel california T5 said:
Psssst , just want to point out that I find it to much on a Cali , witch (correct me if wrong) still is a recreative camper vehicle that not even comes close to an offroader .

You have no idea and can't spell. Case dismissed by an ex 4x4 instructor.

Excuse me my writing Mr. Perfect , i am not Englisch( have you notest my location is not in UK , Mr. Perfect? ) and do my best but aperently not enough for you , so again...
If you don ' t mind..... :mrgreen:
I leave you Cali 4x4 ' s. to it and try to conversate some resenable forum members. :hello

I do know that there is no way a two wheel drive van will tow a trailer with two motor cross bikes on it across hilly muddy fields and then let you camp in luxury for a weekend event. I have however seen a Cali 4Motion do this with ease.

before you go why not look at these pictures here, its the camper I would have bought if my wife would have let me :D

sadly wording is german, but many in central europe are using the T5 as a comfortable off roader. I am guessing the full fat cali weighs the same as a prepared land rover defender - ( I still miss my defender but the Beach is much more comfortable and growing very quickly on me)

http://offroad-busse.de/index.php/fahrzeuge/t5/terock

Gregc , towing is one thing , offroad as in what the Cali does in the link that Swisspace posted ....theres more to it than 4 motion and a difflock .
If towing a heavy load on mudtrack,... for sure a 4 motion will do better , the front wheels get less grip cose the rear gets heavyer and if the rear with 4 motion gets transmission that wil help a lot.
Only make the conclusion for myself after driven a Defender for 10 years ( not only on the black surfaces.... :D ) and a Cali for two years now , that a Cali isn' t made for offroad in my opinion .
That however doesn' t mean it you can't use your Cali for occasional crossing of gravel,zandpaths ,...
Ps hope you can understand my not so good written English , some have trouble with it :doh

I have 4 motion and diff lock on my Kombi 180. It has been lowered etc, with 20's. I use the 4wd and diff lock all the time, when launching my Boat, which is approx 1.5 tonnes on the trailer. The ramp we have to use is clay at the bottom. With the diff lock on, never had an issues at all, getting stuck. I ordered 4wd purely for this reason, and not for offroading. I find the 4wd drives better as well, more balanced, and no wheelspin, in fast getaways from junctions etc

83846B5D-18DB-499E-B1A3-82A00115AD44_zpsapougsuk.jpg

That's a major plus too; 4motion isn't just for off roading, it's also much better on the roads.

However sticking 20s on a 4motion will kill much of that off road ability.

I'll stick pics of a place we got to in our Cali recently when we return; absolutely no way a FWD Cali would have made it. I also got 4motion because I don't like FWD on or off road.

It's like having a very subtle SUV and it's unique to VW; we love it!

answering the original question about Diff Lock on the 4Motion and how important it is, well from my experience I've used it and needed it 3 times, each time I found myself in deep fresh snow in my local roads of the Peak District in blizzard conditions going up over the exposed roads. in such conditions you come across snow drifts, and regardless of the fact the snow plough tries to keep it clear, the drifts build up very fast in such conditions.

anyhow, we always have run our 4motion Cali with M&S tyres, and in most conditions that's all that's needed, but i've found us temporarily stuck in drifts on 3 occasions and needed to depend on the diff lock to get us out.

one most memorable time was whilst patiently and carefully following the snow plough from Whaley Bridge over to Macclesfield via the old Highwayman road, on this occasion the plough got stuck fast in a 6 foot drift due to a car being stuck ahead and us all getting quickly swamped with snow as the wind billowed. we all quickly realised we'd have to back out of the situation fast, but the width of the road cut by the plough was only one vehicle wide, and after attempting and failing to turn our Cali around, we realised we'd have to reverse back up the hill. basically this was bloody hard and often at risk of loosing control, but with the Diff lock on we pulled ourselves back up the 500yrd drift and out of the situation. the Plough pulled the stuck car out and we all headed back the way we came.

Without the Diff, we'd all have been stuck fast in that Drift.

It's priceless when needed.

Diff lock got me out of a very sticky situation in our 110 too!

KernowLad said:
WelshGas said:

That may have happened... It went out eventually though!

Hotel; why are you so anti 4motion and why bother posting in this thread? You clearly don't have a clue.

KernowLad said:
hotel california T5 said:

You have no idea and can't spell. Case dismissed by an ex 4x4 instructor.

NURSE NURSE, gasgas needs his medicine again. :lol:

I think GasGas is referring to your earlier post on the EGR thread were quote ' I can't ever see myself pulling up anyone on here'.
Clearly in this thread you do, as I have posted before 'people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones'
This is the problem with forums and posts, people tend to forget what they have said in the past and continually contradict themselves.
Now having put this on I expect to get something back just like when I posted after your moan about your Cali only having four seats, this however, is just an observation to the post by Gas Gas and not a jibe at anyone.

Well to anyone but a select few, it just looks mad.

Gasgas and Spanners have gone way beyond banter into full on trolling/stalking territory. It's almost like they are the same person, posting from different IP addresses (not hard to mask one).

Anyway Polly, why not just avoid getting involved? It'll all sort itself out soon.

Even if Spanner and Gasgas....disappear they will be replaced by others who will have a pop at you. I have told you what you need to do in order to avoid these situations.

As a nation we are reserved, people that post like you do invite observations like you are getting.

You likely think the insults you throw at all and sundry are subtle....in fact there transparent and childish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why do you keep on going on Bern? You've made your point umpteen times. I don't agree, end of.
Just leave it and lets enjoy our Calis without all this pointless vitriol.

Kernow......

You try to come across as holier than though....as if you can't quite understand why posters like Spanner & Gasgas have a pop at you.

Your clearly not a thicko....you know exactly what you are doing.

SO over the next years don't be surprised...when people retaliate.

We were all born equal under God or whoever or whatever people may believe in...no need for one upmanship as it's poor form.

Retaliate to what exactly? Me daring to mention surfing/running/whatever?
Being vicious enough to discuss a Europe trip in the Cali?
Being cold blooded enough to recommend a Zonesleep topper or Pucer cover?
Having the sheer gall to offer advise on using a Cali with young kids?

Or is it really all because I don't like DSG? :lol:

OMG

My final word as no one can be as thick skinned as you appear.

They pick on you as you come across as a big headed man who wants to demean others and go on about what you can do and what you have.

It may be ok in the land of Uncle Sam but here in the UK it's still seen as bad form thank goodness.

Finito....!

KernowLad said:
NURSE NURSE, gasgas needs his medicine again. :lol:

To be fair that is quite funny ,it's good to see that you do have a sense of humour.

I have to say that some of your more recent posts re DSG,4motion,compensation,and ageist issues etc etc have offended me and made me jump in ,but I know that this is not what this forum is about . I wholeheartedly endorse a good debate and freedom of speech ,but showing respect and good manners is also important,my intention is not to offend you but to merely point out that some of your comments do not always come across well !

Back