Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

6.1 Cali height, over 2m

Could it be that with gas and water the LH side is loaded more than the RH side , therefore in your pick the arch gap is so higher on the RH ?

Does this help...?
F2E03B54-3A71-4294-B0F4-E0294314C4EC.jpeg

Could it be that with gas and water the LH side is loaded more than the RH side , therefore in your pick the arch gap is so higher on the RH ?
No. The other side looks just as high.

That’s standard loaded with our gear.

lowered 40mm and standard below
0068D3F4-D6CF-486D-8E72-7BF10F4D3852.jpeg

Hi @andyinluton, can I ask just how many members have reported this? Does sound concerning that we might have an issue where VW have delivered a vehicle different to that specified in the brochure. I am guessing that there will be plenty asking for the van to be dropped onto shorter springs at VW's expense it it has been wrongly advertised. Anyone spoken to VW, or their Van Centre and complained yet?

Before you start replacing your garage doors check you can't get the van in with just letting out some air. We moved house and were worried I wouldn't be able to get it into the new garage. I had two tactics - first let down tyres and if that didn't work I was going to remove the awning which is the high point on the roof. In the end with my wife watching very carefully standing on a box we got it half way in and then it was about to touch the door. so then we just let the rear tyres down maybe to half inflated and it got in with ease. Realise you can't do this in a public car park but good for storage if your garage doesn't have easy clearance. Just need to be careful when I go out in the van to make sure the air has not expanded with the increase temperature as we move towards the summer. Letting the air out is an extremely minor issue compared to not getting the van in or having to buy new doors! And yes I have a tyre inflator so it only takes seconds. Hope that's a helpful tip since it has saved us loads in storage charges or buying roller doors.

View attachment 75126
Not very good for the tyre wall cords especially if left sitting on under inflated tyres.

Hi @andyinluton, can I ask just how many members have reported this? Does sound concerning that we might have an issue where VW have delivered a vehicle different to that specified in the brochure. I am guessing that there will be plenty asking for the van to be dropped onto shorter springs at VW's expense it it has been wrongly advertised. Anyone spoken to VW, or their Van Centre and complained yet?
I don't know, its why I would like a few measurements from others to see if it really is a problem.

As my van was pre-registered I won't have any comeback, I was intending lowering it anyway so it won't be a long term problem.

It was only that I was going out with a tape to measure up something else & I saw @bob_summers post that I bothered. I had intended suggesting that he didn't know how to use a tape measure etc....

The only other thing would affect the overall height is if the brackets for the awning have changed.

The other thing to be aware of, if Ive understood it correctly, if you ask for the VW -30mm lowering kit to be fitted, they only do the front now not the rear springs. So that wouldn't help.

Last edited:
Does sound concerning that we might have an issue where VW have delivered a vehicle different to that specified in the brochure. I am guessing that there will be plenty asking for the van to be dropped onto shorter springs at VW's expense it it has been wrongly advertised.
I’m not sure it is wrongly advertised- their brochure shows 1990mm to the roof of the base van. The pop top height isn’t referenced…

4BADA6F0-5400-48BE-87F7-76848D679AB2.jpeg

I’m not sure it is wrongly advertised- their brochure shows 1990mm to the roof of the base van. The pop top height isn’t referenced…

View attachment 75151

I would say that is just poor drawing - as it doesn't explain why the same drawing for a panel van or caravelle has a different dimension.

The barrier will always have some leeway, but be more worried about the lowest point in the carpark itself - ie low hanging pipework etc (unless it’s a Beach carpark of course!)
Concur

My T5 SE is 205 cm high in the right rear edge where the awning is mounted. But the awning is an accessory and accessories can be opted out, but that is a completely different matter. But I see it as a storm in a thimble.

Not very good for the tyre wall cords especially if left sitting on under inflated tyres.
Thanks, the tyres still have quite a lot of air in them (as you can see in the photo) but to make sure I will put some more air in since once it is in the garage there is no headroom problem anyway - just must remember to deflate again before I take it out of the garage!!!!

My T5 SE is 205 cm high in the right rear edge where the awning is mounted. But the awning is an accessory and accessories can be opted out, but that is a completely different matter. But I see it as a storm in a thimble.
It might be different in Sweden, but here in England there are an increasingly large number of height barriers, both at sea-side locations & city centre car parks that are set at 2m. Not being able to use them would be a major blow.

It might be different in Sweden, but here in England there are an increasingly large number of height barriers, both at sea-side locations & city centre car parks that are set at 2m. Not being able to use them would be a major blow.
Well, if I'm not welcome there, they will not get my money :)

Whenever I have checked under a 2m barrier there has always been a decent clearance, so much so that I think the barriers are deliberately set higher than the height warning.

But 2.03m would rule out that A86 Duplex Tunnel for me.

Last edited:
Whenever I have checked under a 2m barrier there has always been a decent clearance, so much so that I think the barriers are deliberately set higher than the height warning.
I had a lot of clearance under a 2m barrier in my old cali.
But that van was under 2m tall!

There's an underpass in Rouen that's a bit 'squeaky bum' - it's probaby well signposted but always catches me by surprise. Suddenly you're heading downhill into it and it looks VERY low!

I have a 2019 T6 Ocean and the height specified in the handbook dimension D is written as 1,990 - 2,030 mm (height at Kerb weight vehicles with pop-up roof)
Sorry if this is of no help, just thought I’d mention this for comparison.
I wonder why the range? Now it seems they’ve dropped the 1990 dim

Was just parked up at local shops. Steps directly being my vehicle.
From the rear the new black blob antennae above the windscreen is not visible.
Highest part of the roof is in the middle (there is a slight curve front to back and also left to right).
Highest part of the vehicle is the awning.