Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

6.1 Cali height, over 2m

Note the brochures view of the California's versatility (and the sub-text #4)
View attachment 75156
Thanks - has anyone queried this yet with their dealer?
Im thinking I might & also ask if its correct that in paying circa £400.00 as per the Accessories brochure for the 30mm spring lowering they are only lowering the front not the back.
As Im not going to be carrying much load I can see I am going to be stopping at every car park barrier & checking the roof clearance - no longer need a reversing camera but a roof camera!

Note the brochures view of the California's versatility (and the sub-text #4)
View attachment 75156
Could you please tell me what page as Ive scrolled through & cant find this section & Im going to query with my dealer - thanks - sorry found now on page 1
Ive just emailed my dealer asking if theyve measured any of the 6.1s, pointing out the discrepancy between the statement on page 1 of the brochure measurement with the highest point measurement in the manual being 2030, & also for confirmation on the lowering springs option in the manual if its just the front or rear too.

Last edited:
There's an underpass in Rouen that's a bit 'squeaky bum' - it's probaby well signposted but always catches me by surprise. Suddenly you're heading downhill into it and it looks VERY low!
I have taken to paying the A13 toll so as to avoid it. I was not sure of the height and had only gone in a car before.

Last edited:
wouldn't think so as can be purchased for previous models to replace wood slats.

I wonder if the fact that all Oceans are now 3080kg GVW rather than 3000kg (except 4 motion previously) means they have T32 rear springs (vs T30 previously) and so ‘sit up’ at the back when not fully loaded?

so many people complaining of rear sag o previous models. VW fix that, now people complaining it's too high at the back! :D :D:D
The sag was an optical illusion created by rear wheel arch being lower than the front one. The vans were actually level, now they’re raised at the rear and slope toward the front. Fine for empty panel vans, don’t know if it’s an improvement for the Cali, now with height issues.

My dealer has measured the California in the show room to the highest point on the awning as 5mm under the 2m.
He also confirms that the option VW offer as in the Accessories Brochure of lowering springs by 30mm is for both front & rear springs.

Mine measures 196cm to the top of the solar panels. Mind you the van is well loaded and has been lowered by 30mm.
So, without lowering springs it’s approximately 199cm to the top of the solar panels.

Is it the fancy new bed springs which have increased the California’s height by 4cm?
The T6.1 mattress is half the thickness of the T6 mattress - so together with the springs the same bed thickness as before.

The T6.1 mattress is half the thickness of the T6 mattress - so together with the springs the same bed thickness as before.
Interesting decision by VW. Presumably they think its more comfortable with the new springs, and you don't need a mattress as thick. Perhaps it lighter too

Interesting decision by VW. Presumably they think its more comfortable with the new springs, and you don't need a mattress as thick. Perhaps it lighter too
The roof mattress looks identical to the T5.1 to me.

Wow! The T6 mattress is pretty thin already. I’m finding it hard to imagine how thin the T6.1 mattress might be.

So if not in the bed, where is the extra 4cm?

Wheels? (I think we can rule this out).
Suspension?
Chassis - for the bigger AdBlue tank?
Body panels?

Mine measures 196cm to the top of the solar panels. Mind you the van is well loaded and has been lowered by 30mm.
So, without lowering springs it’s approximately 199cm to the top of the solar panels.
@andyinluton has made the point that if the newer rear springs are now 40mm higher at the rear than the previous standard ones, the 30mm lowering springs could actually lower the rear 70mm while lowering the front the same 30mm as before. The only solution is to measure if it's important to you.

Last edited:
My dealer has measured the California in the show room to the highest point on the awning as 5mm under the 2m.
He also confirms that the option VW offer as in the Accessories Brochure of lowering springs by 30mm is for both front & rear springs.
Is that with 30mm lowering springs already installed, or standard set up?

I wonder if the fact that all Oceans are now 3080kg GVW rather than 3000kg (except 4 motion previously) means they have T32 rear springs (vs T30 previously) and so ‘sit up’ at the back when not fully loaded?
That would explain the change. Didn't we recently get a new member who works at VW, like VWGuru used to? Maybe he could shed some light.

Wow! The T6 mattress is pretty thin already. I’m finding it hard to imagine how thin the T6.1 mattress might be.

So if not in the bed, where is the extra 4cm?

Wheels? (I think we can rule this out).
Suspension?
Chassis - for the bigger AdBlue tank?
Body panels?
By looking at the higher rear wheel arch gap, suspension. The body panels haven't changed, as can be seen by the door sills and side body line, which used to be level and are now higher in the back sloping down to the front. I suspect that @GrumpyGranddad 's lowered van is now the same distance off the ground at the door sills at the front and back wheels, which would support the idea that 30mm lowering springs are now lowering the back by 70mm. That could be helpful to many prospective buyers, as long as they know it before ordering!

Edit: For those who go even mildly off-road, or use a tow bar bike rack, lowering may not be an advantage due to scraping.

Last edited:
@andyinluton and @Amarillo - I’ll need to check again then.
I removed the mattress in my T6 and bought the thin mattress from the shop and the zonesleep topper which came to the same thickness. At first glance this mattress looked the same thickness as either one of the other two. I would be a little worried replacing it with both the ones I had in the T6.

If you search for the thread re the upgrade from slats to the new springs, you can see in the photos that the top of the springs are the same height as the top of the old slats, you leave a couple of the slats in place at the foot end of the bed.

The difference in height is all in the vans suspension.

It would be worth knowing what the measured showroom model was, as without wanting to re-open old arguments 4motions have always been lower at the back than other models.

Mine measures 194.5 cm to the highest point , the top of the factory awning. I had the factory 30mm springs fitted so I find it lower than I expected. Van is loaded but no passengers 885B3733-1D86-474B-BCE6-5D82B72F0959.jpeg

If you search for the thread re the upgrade from slats to the new springs, you can see in the photos that the top of the springs are the same height as the top of the old slats, you leave a couple of the slats in place at the foot end of the bed.

The difference in height is all in the vans suspension.

It would be worth knowing what the measured showroom model was, as without wanting to re-open old arguments 4motions have always been lower at the back than other models.
The one i measured on Saturday was a 4Motion 6.1 Ocean, undriven, on 17" wheels. 2030mm to the rear offside corner of the poptop lid.

Mine measures 194.5 cm to the highest point , the top of the factory awning. I had the factory 30mm springs fitted so I find it lower than I expected. Van is loaded but no passengers View attachment 75188
The smaller wheel arch gap at the rear shows that this van is now sitting level, which would indicate that the rear has been lowered more than the front compared to standard vans which now come raised at the back and equal wheel arch gap front to rear.