6.1 Cali height, over 2m

clarinetbcn

clarinetbcn

T5.1 Beach 140
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
A couple of members have just measured their 6.1 Cali Oceans at between 2.03m and 2.04 m at the rear, with a difference front to rear at the door sill and side body line of 40-50 mm. This is higher than previous Calis. Have other 6.1 owners, Ocean or Beach, seen this?

This video shows the height of a T6 Ocean:

Last edited:
The current brochure does show the cali to be below 2m but mine certainly isn't at the moment - 204cm at top of awning at the rear.

However my van has yet to be loaded up & I would expect the suspension to settle a bit once it has been.

At the moment the measurement is with no water, no gas & no spare wheel, it will be interesting to see what it is with those all added.

It could well be someone at VW has changed the spec of the rear springs (or used the only ones they could find) . If they were suddenly 40mm higher & someone changed to -30mm springs that would actually give a drop of more like 70mm. It would explain problems others are having with the lowering kit.

Last edited:
As per the other thread (hands up, this is my fault!) i measured a freshly delivered 6.1 4motion Ocean at 203cm at the back.

I always thought Calis had shorter springs than the Transporter, presumably so the overall height with the pop top came in at the same height as the panel van. But that might just be a factoid ive heard somewhere.

I’m very interested in this having just received my T6.1 Beach Camper and now it’s my only vehicle. I had a 10 year old estate car that I kept for when I needed to go into town (theatre, hospital or bank) as they all needed underground carparks. But as the trips into town dwindled to 1 or 2 per year (even prior to Covid) I could not justify the extra cost of running a second vehicle.
Now I have the dilemma that I have a hospital appointment for mammogram (the only time I visit the hospital)... but cannot work out where I can park. It is quite frustrating not knowing exactly how high the van is and how much allowance there is on the height barriers...

Last edited:
Theres an underground parking I use a lot with a 1.9m limit. In my battered T5 i clout the warning bar with the back of the van but once inside there’s tons of room. Guessing they’re conservative with the limit as you don’t want to get wedged down there! Would not dare try in a new Beach!

Not sure if this helps.
But I was told recently that my T6 2wd had T32 springs...
What springs are in the 6.1...?

Interesting - being a regular user of car parks which are 2m if the T.6 is above 2m in height my next van just as well a high top I am aware most 2m high barriers "seem" to give a bit of extra gap but would not risk it. One of the selling points has always been the sub 2m height.

Following this with interest - not sure I can measure mine very accurately but will give it a go as I am somewhat concerned too about the 2m car park barriers & am considering for this reason having it lowered.

Interesting - being a regular user of car parks which are 2m if the T.6 is above 2m in height my next van just as well a high top I am aware most 2m high barriers "seem" to give a bit of extra gap but would not risk it. One of the selling points has always been the sub 2m height.
The barrier will always have some leeway, but be more worried about the lowest point in the carpark itself - ie low hanging pipework etc (unless it’s a Beach carpark of course!)

The barrier will always have some leeway, but be more worried about the lowest point in the carpark itself - ie low hanging pipework etc (unless it’s a Beach carpark of course!)
Thanks hadnt even thought about hanging pipework! but yes now you mention it our local John Lewis underground car park probably has those!

Following this with interest - not sure I can measure mine very accurately but will give it a go as I am somewhat concerned too about the 2m car park barriers & am considering for this reason having it lowered.
Also watching with interest. Was planning to swap the garage door for a roller or similar (that could lose the wooden door frame) Absolute max (If there is a door that could open all the way to the Catnic lintel) would be 2.06. So not a lot of headroom. Will be beyond disappointed if the Coast that is on order is over the advertised 1.99

Also watching with interest. Was planning to swap the garage door for a roller or similar (that could lose the wooden door frame) Absolute max (If there is a door that could open all the way to the Catnic lintel) would be 2.06. So not a lot of headroom. Will be beyond disappointed if the Coast that is on order is over the advertised 1.99
Check that the roller door doesn't actually reduce the height. Roller may give the height loss if not enough internal headroom to 'loose' it.

Check that the roller door doesn't actually reduce the height. Roller may give the height loss if not enough internal headroom to 'loose' it.
Thanks - was planning to get a few companies to look at different options.

Yes not ideal for you Stuart, I suppose you could work out which is cheaper to lower the VW or create more height on the garage?!

Had my Beach Tour 6.1 since Aug 20.
I regularly go into 2m car parks and have yet to hit the warning sign or in the car park. It does feel very close when you go under the warning barriers and as previously mentioned look out for low areas in the carpark.

Always entertaining going through the 30kmph liber-t toll gates on the French autoroutes with their 2m barriers, again not hit yet loaded or unloaded Don't try it if you have a full bike rack! We got a tow bar mounted one.

Check with the installer as you need enough space above to allow for the roller. Our roller box is 22cms x 22cms; you need to allow a few more cms for the rubber safety strip / alarm sensor strip along the bottom of the roller. (See attached photos).

3EF663C3-3116-4D1C-8580-C5F78D647BD6.jpeg

E7070B26-9DD7-490F-B36C-796CF8E73830.jpeg

E2581194-2B62-41E4-B5FF-4DF5A3CC513C.jpeg

We've just ordered a coast. Was told that it's 1.9
However I think the wheels are smaller than the ocean.
This is 1 of the reasons we had the coast as I need it under the 2

We've just ordered a coast. Was told that it's 1.9
However I think the wheels are smaller than the ocean.
This is 1 of the reasons we had the coast as I need it under the 2
If the wheels and tyres are as recommended by VW then it doesn't matter if they are 16", 17" or 18" the wheel and correct tyre have the same total diameter.

Before you start replacing your garage doors check you can't get the van in with just letting out some air. We moved house and were worried I wouldn't be able to get it into the new garage. I had two tactics - first let down tyres and if that didn't work I was going to remove the awning which is the high point on the roof. In the end with my wife watching very carefully standing on a box we got it half way in and then it was about to touch the door. so then we just let the rear tyres down maybe to half inflated and it got in with ease. Realise you can't do this in a public car park but good for storage if your garage doesn't have easy clearance. Just need to be careful when I go out in the van to make sure the air has not expanded with the increase temperature as we move towards the summer. Letting the air out is an extremely minor issue compared to not getting the van in or having to buy new doors! And yes I have a tyre inflator so it only takes seconds. Hope that's a helpful tip since it has saved us loads in storage charges or buying roller doors.

IMG_0868.jpg

I have taken to looking a pictures of car parks on goggle before visiting an area to see if there are other vans parked in them. Lots of car parks and hotels give on indication of heights on their websites. When visiting Worcester I had to reverse 2 times as I followed signs to car parks only to find there was a 1.9m height limit. Had to park in a lorry park. Have you noticed that some UK signages is in feet and inches?

After having complained in other threads that the van sags a little at the back, compared distance to wheel arches, body lines parallel to the ground etc, and at the end satisfying myself that the empty Ocean isn't in fact sagging at the back, made a plan how to divide the load better between front and rear axel.
As my other car is at the dealer for inspection, today I went to work with the (empty) Cali. The garage limit is 2.0 metres. Being Germany that means 2.0000000001 metres.
Sure enough I heard "Bang!" and the high-limit bar was swinging....

After having complained in other threads that the van sags a little at the back, compared distance to wheel arches, body lines parallel to the ground etc, and at the end satisfying myself that the empty Ocean isn't in fact sagging at the back, made a plan how to divide the load better between front and rear axel.
As my other car is at the dealer for inspection, today I went to work with the (empty) Cali. The garage limit is 2.0 metres. Being Germany that means 2.0000000001 metres.
Sure enough I heard "Bang!" and the high-limit bar was swinging....

I would be interested to see measurements! Contrary to what others have said, the middle of the roof ie about half way along the sliding door always used to be the highest part of the van, the awning just looks higher at the ends as the van at that point is sloping down away from it.

Having said that the exact hight of the roof is hard to measure accurately, but the hight above ground of the ends of the awning give a good guide & is easy to measure.

Am also not sure if the new wifi lump in front centre of the roof is now the highest point.

I would be interested to see measurements! Contrary to what others have said, the middle of the roof ie about half way along the sliding door always used to be the highest part of the van, the awning just looks higher at the ends as the van at that point is sloping down away from it.

Having said that the exact hight of the roof is hard to measure accurately, but the hight above ground of the ends of the awning give a good guide & is easy to measure.

Am also not sure if the new wifi lump in front centre of the roof is now the highest point.
As it looks like the new set up has the floor sills and body line higher at the rear that at the front, the new highest point may have moved rearward, especially if you have an awning.

I used the following method. Park vehicle so that it is horizontal L to R, F to B not so important.
I had a 4x4 by 8' fence post that I new was straight. Placed post from centre of awning to roof centre and other side so it overhung. Used a 4' spirit level and checked post was horizontal. Measure height from ground. Repeated at front and back of awning and in both positions had to pack out where post rested on roof to get it horizontal as roof slopes down front and rear. 1996mm was my reading. This is on a T5. 1.

@soulstyledevon I don't know if you could post your "before" picture from the other thread for comparison, but this is the back of mine, now with gas & water on board. That wheel arch gap is huge!

tempImagexq8nxm.png