Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

60 Pen y Ghents in 60 days

Stolly

Stolly

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
Right so first up technically I'm not yet a Cali owner as my order is still in the queue to be built. I'm already a Cali owner in my heart and soul though so hopefully you won't hold it against me :).

I'm flipping 60 in December and, as a keen fell runner, I'm taking the fight to this getting old malarkey and have set my self the goal to run up our nearby mountain Pen y Ghent for 60 straight days, culminating on my 60th birthday on 28th December. No particular reason but it seems like the right thing to do.

Thus far I'm 4 days in with 56 to go :eek:

I'll keep you posted as to how I'm getting on. Thus far the weather has been super but that will inevitably change very badly. In the same 60 days last year there were 5 Met Office named storms and the first proper snowfall on the mountain was 21st November, with plenty more after that. Oh and because I work full time at least 35 of the runs are being done after dark.

Whilst at it I'm also raising funds for our local mountain rescue - you never know I might just need their services....

Very brave , don't know how much altitude you need to do but even then .. very brave!
Weather will be one your biggest opponents indeed.

Very brave , don't know how much altitude you need to do but even then .. very brave!
Weather will be one your biggest opponents indeed.

Pen y Ghent all things considered is a relatively small mountain with a summit at just under 700 meters, or c 2,300 feet. What is lacks in stature though it makes up for in all the weather that is chucked at it :)

Wow very impressed Stolly . I hit the 60 in January. Great charity to support. The link to give is in Stollys first post. Donation ✅

The Dartmoor rescue group in our area do great work rescuing people lost . The weather on the moors can catch people out who are ill prepared for the sudden changes in weather.

Plan a big family weekend in Brecon Beacons in a large farmhouse with lots of walking & eating/ drinking to celebrate being 60 :)
Plus a ski trip with our friends

Last edited:
I admire and envy you greatly Stolly, Admire because you are daily pitting yourself against the mountain and weather as a mature, albeit fit, man. Hopefully you are running up a road or track and will be accompanied. How are you getting back down again? And envy because you live in a beautiful part of the country which might even encourage me to take up running if I lived there. I wish you every success.
Do have a 'Just Giving' link for your worthy cause?

I admire and envy you greatly Stolly, Admire because you are daily pitting yourself against the mountain and weather as a mature, albeit fit, man. Hopefully you are running up a road or track and will be accompanied. How are you getting back down again? And envy because you live in a beautiful part of the country which might even encourage me to take up running if I lived there. I wish you every success.
Do have a 'Just Giving' link for your worthy cause?
Hi SpringGT the just giving link is highlighted in my first post. I know copious routes up Pen y Ghent some of which follow tracks and others that don't. As for be accompanied, my two dogs are with me most days :)

a most noble cause and one very close to my heart.

My donation is on it's way.

Hi SpringGT the just giving link is highlighted in my first post. I know copious routes up Pen y Ghent some of which follow tracks and others that don't. As for be accompanied, my two dogs are with me most days :)

Of course the dogs are all the company you need.:thumb
Donation completed.

13 back to back runs up Pen y Ghent completed, including 10 mid-weekers in the dark :). Just 47 more to do. Its been fun and games in the snow....

Nice one Stolly. Very jealous as recently made the hard decision of no more running. Trained with a fell runner a few years ago and he was something else.
Found running in the snow and ice great for technique, no over striding and ......... I'll stop now as I loved my running.

Good luck with the rest

Mike

Thanks very much to those who've sponsored me. I'm still going strong with 28 of the 60 done and dusted. In fact I'm shortly off up the hill for my 29th.

The weather has been "interesting"

DSC_8816.jpg

DSC_8897.jpg

DSC_8867 (1).jpg

Wow amazing photos. Many thanks .
Fantastic charity to support & an " interesting " way to celebrate being 60.
Keep the photos coming

Great stuff seems the winter has kicked in already?
Edit: just been on google as i am not familiar with your country , the "hole" with the waterfall:Nailbiting
Really great scenery , very jealous that you got this in your backyard...
Hope you reach your goal ....fingers Xsed​

Last edited:
Just to say I completed this today. 60 consecutive daily runs up the same mountain, Pen y Ghent, with a total of 363 miles and 105,600 feet of ascent. With 37 of the runs done in the dark. Even better, when I last checked, I'd raised £1,841 including gift aid for the Cave Rescue Organisation. Thanks to all who've contributed.

And our new Cali arrived on 23rd December and our first road trip to Cornwall commences tomorrow :)

Part of today's assault team Sharon, Hester and Harry:

DSC_9191.jpg

Belated birthday wishes, a fantastic achievement and stunning photos. Great timing on getting your Cali too, a superb landmark pressie :)

Enjoy your maiden voyage:thumb

Congrats on both your achievement and the new Cali!:thumb

Back