Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

680 new wheels and All Terrain tyres

M

mpill990

Vehicle
Grand California 680
After much changing of mind I've finally sorted the new wheels and tyres for our van. I had 2 main reasons for wanting to change:

1. (In my opinion) the proportions of the standard van look all wrong as the wheels look so tiny in comparison to the huge van body. A bit like a body builder with really skinny legs.. I kept trying to convince myself that I would eventually get used to the look, and honesty I tried, but in the end I'm afraid I failed and the bodybuilder has been forced onto the squat machine.

2. Winter grip. Damn these vans are big and heavy and I kept seeing us ploughing through a hedge on a frosty morning and as we intend to use the van throughout the winter winter tyres were definitely on the shopping list.

I tried using Google to figure out what the best solution was but I got lots of conflicting information and opinions so hence the multiple changes of mind
So in the end I spoke to the good people at Rogue Alloy Wheels and they set my mind at rest and supplied and fitted what I hope is the perfect solution. The wheels are their own brand 18 inchers and the tyres are General Grabber At3's.

So far so good - the ride is slightly firmer (in a good way) and the van has lost a lot of that "soggy" feeling through corners and the steering feels slightly more direct. I didn't notice any increase in road noise and now the speedo reads the same as the GPS. No frost or snow yet so I can't comment on the grip.

Overall very happy with the "upgrade" and they didn't break the bank either.

Sorry I only took one quick snap of them - see below but if anyone wants any closeups I can post them next week. Please let me know.

BTW if there are any traffic wardens amongst you I apologise profusely as I'm parked on the double yellows opposite our house in the picture
b5115620b663e6de89c9e115fb69ac23.jpg

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

After much changing of mind I've finally sorted the new wheels and tyres for our van. I had 2 main reasons for wanting to change:

1. (In my opinion) the proportions of the standard van look all wrong as the wheels look so tiny in comparison to the huge van body. A bit like a body builder with really skinny legs.. I kept trying to convince myself that I would eventually get used to the look, and honesty I tried, but in the end I'm afraid I failed and the bodybuilder has been forced onto the squat machine.

2. Winter grip. Damn these vans are big and heavy and I kept seeing us ploughing through a hedge on a frosty morning and as we intend to use the van throughout the winter winter tyres were definitely on the shopping list.

I tried using Google to figure out what the best solution was but I got lots of conflicting information and opinions so hence the multiple changes of mind
So in the end I spoke to the good people at Rogue Alloy Wheels and they set my mind at rest and supplied and fitted what I hope is the perfect solution. The wheels are their own brand 18 inchers and the tyres are General Grabber At3's.

So far so good - the ride is slightly firmer (in a good way) and the van has lost a lot of that "soggy" feeling through corners and the steering feels slightly more direct. I didn't notice any increase in road noise and now the speedo reads the same as the GPS. No frost or snow yet so I can't comment on the grip.

Sorry I only took one quick snap of them - see below but if anyone wants any closeups I can post them next week. Please let me know.

BTW if there are any traffic wardens amongst you I apologise profusely as I'm parked on the double yellows opposite our house in the picture

That looks very nice :cool: Would love to see some closer pics when you have time.

Looks fantastic. Not sure if your located in the UK, If you are please hooks us up with the companies contact details.

That looks very nice :cool: Would love to see some closer pics when you have time.
Yes will do - the van is in storage at the moment but we're away in it mid next week

Wow! Now THAT looks SO much beefier!
I. Want. Those!

Very nice. Im shortly getting the Mojave Beige and am underwhelmed by the alloys so was wondering what to put on too.

Yes will do - the van is in storage at the moment but we're away in it mid next week

What did the Insurance Company say? Any change in premium as they are Non VW wheels and tyres?

What did the Insurance Company say? Any change in premium as they are Non VW wheels and tyres?
I haven't told them yet. I'll put that down on my to-do list for the week.
I can't see there being any issues as the load rating of the wheels and tyres is the same as the oem ones.
If fact they should give me a discount as I'll be much safer in the winter

Looks fantastic! We have the Cali 680 as well, and wish to change our wheels and tyres
just wondered what size tyre have they fitted and what is the load rating?
hope you’re enjoying lots of nice trips

each person like different, I do not like you new wheel complete - is not elegant for holiday camper, is look same than lady not make hair nice and not make - up nice face lipstick and painting face for cocktail evening elegant party, but take lady who is not care for nice appearance.

if you are like and happy then is you camper and all is matter.

Looks fantastic! We have the Cali 680 as well, and wish to change our wheels and tyres
just wondered what size tyre have they fitted and what is the load rating?
hope you’re enjoying lots of nice trips
Hi the wheels/tyres are 18 inch 5x120.
The wheels are rated at 1250kg and the tyres 1100kg.
All the best Mike

each person like different, I do not like you new wheel complete - is not elegant for holiday camper, is look same than lady not make hair nice and not make - up nice face lipstick and painting face for cocktail evening elegant party, but take lady who is not care for nice appearance.

Thanks for your comments. If your intention was to make me feel bad you failed miserably I'm afraid

BTW- your comment is also sexist. If I'm taking a lady out it would be my honor and I certainly wouldn't be offensive about her makeup

Hi...wheels/tyres look great ...could you pease send me the company contact details please.
Thanks

I think your set up looks great! But then I have never been keen on painted faced ladies or elegant cocktail party's.

I think your set up looks great! But then I have never been keen on painted faced ladies or elegant cocktail party's.
Everything in moderation

Thanks for your comments. If your intention was to make me feel bad you failed miserably I'm afraid

I having only intention tell you I for me don't like.
If you are only liking happy comment - is strange you ask question if is expect all human race like same - each is different but you cannot read I write that.

Impressive post. Offending the OP and all women at the same time. :D

continental do a 255/55 18 with a load rating 120 but expensive.
So come on VW match them up with load rated alloys and eliminate the stigma of a body builder with spindly legs.

I having only intention tell you I for me don't like.
If you are only liking happy comment - is strange you ask question if is expect all human race like same - each is different but you cannot read I write that.
Agreed everyone will have their own opinion and I respect yours.

My post was more about information sharing as there have been a number of previous posts discussing the possibility of fitting AT tyres without clear conclusions.

I just wanted to share my experience and confirm that it is possible to fit them and there are companies out there with viable solutions for us.

As I mentioned in my first post we use our van throughout the winter and I wanted the benefit of the extra safety that these tyres provide.

Our van is not a holiday van as we're using it for approx 2 weeks in every month. My income comes from stock trading so I just need Internet access and I can function anywhere. So the van has to be as practical as possible (and personally I think the GC is a great choice for this type of lifestyle).

The additional benefit of loosing the spindly legs look is just a happy bonus

continental do a 255/55 18 with a load rating 120 but expensive.
So come on VW match them up with load rated alloys and eliminate the stigma of a body builder with spindly legs.
Goodyear do a 109 load rated tyre (as do other brands) 1030kgs - 2060kgs per axle if that's enough for GC.axles.

Also do an All Terrain tyre.

Goodyear tyre range to ponder over

Last edited:
Back