Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

680 new wheels and All Terrain tyres

As I mentioned in my first post we use our van throughout the winter and I wanted the benefit of the extra safety that these tyres provide.
If safety is your priority - and by that I presume you mean safety on the road not off-road - I'd say you'd be better considering a decent winter road tyre rather than a knobbly AT. You can always keep the winters on all year if you want. Or of course an all-season.

(Sorry I realise you've already put ATs on and you're unlikely to change them now. Also I know this subject is done to death, just poking the corpse. ;) )

If safety is your priority - and by that I presume you mean safety on the road not off-road - I'd say you'd be better considering a decent winter road tyre rather than a knobbly AT. You can always keep the winters on all year if you want. Or of course an all-season.

(Sorry I realise you've already put ATs on and you're unlikely to change them now. Also I know this subject is done to death, just poking the corpse. ;) )
I had considered that also.
As a very small percentage of days in the UK have true winter conditions a nobbly tyre would be the wrong tyre for the highest %.;)

Odd puzzle as how many 4x4's run around on nobbly tyres now?

This is just Forum banter not serious have a go.

I had Michelin Cross Climate's on our previous van and they were excellent and to be fair they're (or similar) are probably the best all-round solution.
But occasionally we have driven across wet fields (festivals and all grass campsites) and once we got stuck.
Or as my wife likes to remind me I GOT US STUCK and I've never been forgiven
So I thought I'd give ATs a try. I have no intention of off-roading or driving across the Sahara

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

I had Michelin Cross Climate's on our previous van and they were excellent and to be fair they're (or similar) are probably the best all-round solution.
But occasionally we have driven across wet fields (festivals and all grass campsites) and once we got stuck.
So I thought I'd give ATs a try. I have no intention of off-roading or driving across the Sahara

Certainly I tend to agree an AT can be a good compromise choice for year-round camping. I just wanted to underline that for driving safely in winter on (British) roads in the majority of conditions, nothing is going to beat a winter road tyre.

The trouble with these forum discussions about tyres is invariably that folks say this-or-that is 'better' but without stating (or even knowing, sometimes) their exact requirements and trade-offs. No tyres are ideal in all conditions, you have to be very clear about the use-case.

Getting back in my box.

Certainly I tend to agree an AT can be a good compromise choice for year-round camping. I just wanted to underline that for driving safely in winter on (British) roads in the majority of conditions, nothing is going to beat a winter road tyre.

The trouble with these forum discussions about tyres is invariably that folks say this-or-that is 'better' but without stating (or even knowing, sometimes) their exact requirements and trade-offs. No tyres are ideal in all conditions, you have to be very clear about the use-case.

Getting back in my box.
You're 100% correct

AT tyres on a Land Rover Defender or Series 1/2/3 are matched with its capabilities, and high speed travel on A roads or Motorways is not one of those capabilities. In fact it can be positively wearing if not painful.
But on modern SUVs I believe there are better tyre types that can match the capabilities of such vehicles for high speed travel and off-road capability.

Hello,

Tyres can be an endless point of discussion, planning and thinking.

On my T6 we had Michelin CrossClimate tyres installed and I found them rather good in the conditions we used them (places and weather). As outlined each tyre has its strength and weakness, but for me the Michelin CrossClimate was good in almost all conditions.

VW Ireland owed me a bit, so we agreed that they put a set of Michelin Agilis CrossClimate on my GC 600. I was really looking forward to it when I collected it yesterday.

But instead of putting the Michelin Agilis CrossClimate tyres on the camper they installed the Michelin Agilis 3. It might not be a bad tyre, but I don't want them.

Now, as it turns out, the Michelin Agilis CrossClimate is not available in Ireland and as it looks like, won't be available in the near future. I try to order some from online shops, but I am afraid that they might be too old.

So I am happy for you that you got the setup that you were looking for.

Kind Regards,
Eberhard

emoji1.png

emoji6.png

Definitely a case of tyre decision has to have a 'can I justify them to my Wife' as a factor.

Beware of assuming that the AT's will get you out every time anywhere. I can sense your pain if you get stuck again.

Big relatively heavy GC has lots of potential to bog down with few volunteers to push it out.
Hello,

On my T6 we had Michelin CrossClimate tyres installed and I found them rather good in the conditions we used them (places and weather). As outlined each tyre has its strength and weakness, but for me the Michelin CrossClimate was good in almost all conditions.

VW Ireland owed me a bit, so we agreed that they put a set of Michelin Agilis CrossClimate on my GC 600. I was really looking forward to it when I collected it yesterday.

But instead of putting the Michelin Agilis CrossClimate tyres on the camper they installed the Michelin Agilis 3. It might not be a bad tyre, but I don't want them.

Now, as it turns out, the Michelin Agilis CrossClimate is not available in Ireland and as it looks like, won't be available in the near future. I try to order some from online shops, but I am afraid that they might be too old.

Kind Regards,
Eberhard
Agilis CrossClimate is a relatively recent tyre, within the last year I believe, so not sure what you mean by too old.

Hello,

Kind Regards,
Eberhard

Eberhard, please remind me not to stand beside you in a thunderstorm.

Eberhard, please remind me not to stand beside you in a thunderstorm.
I also feel sorry for the poor VW dealer he must sprint for the door with the closed sign every time Eberhard approaches only to never quite make it

Hello,

Yes, when I walk into the show room I know a lot of the people there. The nice lady at the reception already knows my name and the car registration number.

I have no idea how much VW earn on each Grand California, but there is one thing for sure, they have not earned one single Euro on mine.

@Jester, yes I try to be nice to my fellow people and move away from everybody if there is a storm.

Just for a smile. My wife ordered seat covers from NL, which arrived today - guess what? One came, instead of two.

We are jinxed!

Happy spooky Grand California,
Eberhard

Hello @B J G,

I didn't know that the Michelin Agilis CrossClimate are that new. I assumed they were several years on the markeet. I was afraid that I will get tyres which are already stored for 3 or 4 years. But if they are new I can order them online. It seems a few online dealers have them.

I will look into this a bit more. Thank you for the information.

Happy Grand California,
Eberhard

Hello,

Yes, when I walk into the show room I know a lot of the people there. The nice lady at the reception already knows my name and the car registration number.

I have no idea how much VW earn on each Grand California, but there is one thing for sure, they have not earned one single Euro on mine.

@Jester, yes I try to be nice to my fellow people and move away from everybody if there is a storm.

Just for a smile. My wife ordered seat covers from NL, which arrived today - guess what? One came, instead of two.

We are jinxed!

Happy spooky Grand California,
Eberhard
Morning Eberhard not jinxed just unlucky.
Can I ask as I know you have one but how is your carpet fairing as mine appears to have shrunk slightly making tight around the edges around the toilet and cupboard under the wardrobe.

Will

Hello @Jester,

I agree, it feels to me that the carpet shrunk ever so slightly. Beside the wetroom, where the divider is between the living space and the boot, there is now about 1 cm gap.

Nevertheless I am still happy with the carpet. It is easy to clean and feels nice and cosy if one is on socks or barefoot.

Happy soft Grand California,
Eberhard

Hello @B J G,

I checked a wee bit and it seems that the Michelin Agilis CrossClimate are about 3 or 4 years on the European market.

Online shops handle tyres with an age of 36 months as new. I need to check if this is pushing it a bit.

Regards,
Eberhard

Hello @B J G,

I checked a wee bit and it seems that the Michelin Agilis CrossClimate are about 3 or 4 years on the European market.

Online shops handle tyres with an age of 36 months as new. I need to check if this is pushing it a bit.

Regards,
Eberhard
As a reference;

Only recently Buses & HGV's have a 10 year age limit on steer tyres or single rear wheels.
No actual limit on private vehicles. Some recommendations as to age are quoted, more down to use/exposure to the Sun etc. if parked up.

Tyres that I've had from Blackcircles have been aged within 6 months from production. 3 orders.

As a reference;

Only recently Buses & HGV's have a 10 year age limit on steer tyres or single rear wheels.
No actual limit on private vehicles. Some recommendations as to age are quoted, more down to use/exposure to the Sun etc. if parked up.

Tyres that I've had from Blackcircles have been aged within 6 months from production. 3 orders.
Hello,

It seems that tyres can be sold "as new" even if they are 5x years old and should be replaced latest when they reach 10 years. Well, at least that what I have understood from the information I have found.

It is easy to check this if the tyre is on stock in the local tyre shop, but rely on trust if bought from an online shop. In my case it seems I only get them online somewhere from Europe.

Normally I wouldn't hesitate to order them, but everything I do with the camper seems not to work out ( :headbang ). But it might be ok if the Michelin Agilis CrossClimate is only on the market for not longer than 4x years.

I give the local tyre shop until tomorrow afternoon, than I will place an order with Oponeo and hope for the best.

Regards,
Eberhard

Hello,

It seems that tyres can be sold "as new" even if they are 5x years old and should be replaced latest when they reach 10 years. Well, at least that what I have understood from the information I have found.

It is easy to check this if the tyre is on stock in the local tyre shop, but rely on trust if bought from an online shop. In my case it seems I only get them online somewhere from Europe.

Normally I wouldn't hesitate to order them, but everything I do with the camper seems not to work out ( :headbang ). But it might be ok if the Michelin Agilis CrossClimate is only on the market for not longer than 4x years.

I give the local tyre shop until tomorrow afternoon, than I will place an order with Oponeo and hope for the best.

Regards,
Eberhard
I've seen older (3>4 years) tyres tyres sold as 'old stock' and bought a set of Bridgestones for my old car which had a big cost saving and were only 2 year old.

Did a quick search on tyres age when supplied.
Blackcircles quoted German standard that tyres are classed as new up to 5 years. didn't find any specific answer.
Oponeo say that they supply up to 3 year old tyres.

Morning Eberhard not jinxed just unlucky.
Can I ask as I know you have one but how is your carpet fairing as mine appears to have shrunk slightly making tight around the edges around the toilet and cupboard under the wardrobe.

Will
Hi Will, I also have the VW carpet on our 680. It wasn't a perfect fit from new and slightly turned up behind the the toilet under the wardrobe/cupboard. Not a real problem so I have "lived with it" as it has not really caused me a problem. I have to say that I really like the carpet as it is fantastic quality and easy to clean and makes the living area so much more comfortable. I would recommend this VW carpet and think it is good value.

Hi Will, I also have the VW carpet on our 680. It wasn't a perfect fit from new and slightly turned up behind the the toilet under the wardrobe/cupboard. Not a real problem so I have "lived with it" as it has not really caused me a problem. I have to say that I really like the carpet as it is fantastic quality and easy to clean and makes the living area so much more comfortable. I would recommend this VW carpet and think it is good value.
Hi there Topsy,

I have had the carpet since May and fitted perfectly, but it has slowly shrank. The carpet is luxurious and love it. But it is a pain around the cupboard under the wardrobe as it catches the bottom of the door.

Agree GVFM probably the cheapest accessories available. Well they only do x2 for the GC!

Last edited:
After much changing of mind I've finally sorted the new wheels and tyres for our van. I had 2 main reasons for wanting to change:

1. (In my opinion) the proportions of the standard van look all wrong as the wheels look so tiny in comparison to the huge van body. A bit like a body builder with really skinny legs.. I kept trying to convince myself that I would eventually get used to the look, and honesty I tried, but in the end I'm afraid I failed and the bodybuilder has been forced onto the squat machine.

2. Winter grip. Damn these vans are big and heavy and I kept seeing us ploughing through a hedge on a frosty morning and as we intend to use the van throughout the winter winter tyres were definitely on the shopping list.

I tried using Google to figure out what the best solution was but I got lots of conflicting information and opinions so hence the multiple changes of mind
So in the end I spoke to the good people at Rogue Alloy Wheels and they set my mind at rest and supplied and fitted what I hope is the perfect solution. The wheels are their own brand 18 inchers and the tyres are General Grabber At3's.

So far so good - the ride is slightly firmer (in a good way) and the van has lost a lot of that "soggy" feeling through corners and the steering feels slightly more direct. I didn't notice any increase in road noise and now the speedo reads the same as the GPS. No frost or snow yet so I can't comment on the grip.

Overall very happy with the "upgrade" and they didn't break the bank either.

Sorry I only took one quick snap of them - see below but if anyone wants any closeups I can post them next week. Please let me know.

BTW if there are any traffic wardens amongst you I apologise profusely as I'm parked on the double yellows opposite our house in the picture
b5115620b663e6de89c9e115fb69ac23.jpg

Looks soo much better...and probably safer. We have the GC680 and, I completely agree, it is BIG and it feels very heavy under braking so an increase in grip would be very welcome. Out of curiosity did you apply the stickers for registration as a motor caravan...or just for fun?

Looks soo much better...and probably safer. We have the GC680 and, I completely agree, it is BIG and it feels very heavy under braking so an increase in grip would be very welcome. Out of curiosity did you apply the stickers for registration as a motor caravan...or just for fun?
The stickers were my wife's choice just to personalise it a bit really. I neither like or dislike them to be honest but as the saying goes 'happy wife, happy life'..

After much changing of mind I've finally sorted the new wheels and tyres for our van. I had 2 main reasons for wanting to change:

1. (In my opinion) the proportions of the standard van look all wrong as the wheels look so tiny in comparison to the huge van body. A bit like a body builder with really skinny legs.. I kept trying to convince myself that I would eventually get used to the look, and honesty I tried, but in the end I'm afraid I failed and the bodybuilder has been forced onto the squat machine.

2. Winter grip. Damn these vans are big and heavy and I kept seeing us ploughing through a hedge on a frosty morning and as we intend to use the van throughout the winter winter tyres were definitely on the shopping list.

I tried using Google to figure out what the best solution was but I got lots of conflicting information and opinions so hence the multiple changes of mind
So in the end I spoke to the good people at Rogue Alloy Wheels and they set my mind at rest and supplied and fitted what I hope is the perfect solution. The wheels are their own brand 18 inchers and the tyres are General Grabber At3's.

So far so good - the ride is slightly firmer (in a good way) and the van has lost a lot of that "soggy" feeling through corners and the steering feels slightly more direct. I didn't notice any increase in road noise and now the speedo reads the same as the GPS. No frost or snow yet so I can't comment on the grip.

Overall very happy with the "upgrade" and they didn't break the bank either.

Sorry I only took one quick snap of them - see below but if anyone wants any closeups I can post them next week. Please let me know.

BTW if there are any traffic wardens amongst you I apologise profusely as I'm parked on the double yellows opposite our house in the picture
b5115620b663e6de89c9e115fb69ac23.jpg

Hi there,

do you need any of these for your wider wheels ie wheel arch trim.

05FCC6C0-FEF4-475A-BC75-91BF0327A460.jpeg

8C28BDEB-48FC-47F6-A4CD-B3F892F53111.jpeg

Last edited:
Hello,

Kind Regards,
Eberhard
Hi Eberhard
In July I had fitted to Westfalia Columbus 601d Four Michilin Cross Climate 225/75/16
load rated 118.. I got them in Wexford town. Small tyre shop and they had them in 4 days.
This is of course a Fiat Ducato base but tyres are tyres. The are marked with the 3 peaks symbol.

Liam

Back