Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

A California without any problems.

Every California is doomed to suffer in the end?!
Whilst some suffer, Ive yet to see a van get to the stage of being scrapped because of it. At the end of the day the roof is just an admittedly large bolt on panel.
If there were loads of vans where it was that bad , you would have thought that some enterprising soul would have taken a mould & produced a fibreglass replacement.
A few have taken the decision to replace the pop top with a solid high top which is another option, but they were not necessarily due changed due to corrosion.

Has anyone asked VW how much to buy a spare roof panel to keep in storage until its needed?

If You ever disconnect the starter battery , you get a similar array of warning lights when its reconnected.
In that case half the lights can be put out just by moving the steering full lock to full lock as that calibrates things like the lane assist & ACC, other lights take a few miles of driving to complete their calibration.
Worth a try.
They seem to rest every time we switch of engine and maybe 5-10 miles they come back on. My lights also flicker now when engine is off.

These things happen. On the way home from picking our van up the tyre pressure sign came up on the dash, the only thing was we don’t have the tyre pressure monitor. Just reset it and it went off. I think many things are linked and nothing to do with the individual item.
If you ever have a ABS sensor failure (. And you will at some stage) the dash lights up like a Christmas tree. Frightening the hell out of you. It’s a £20 fix.
Thank you for prior warning

Is there anything that can be done by the owner to prevent this?
There are hundreds of U section seals available in the automotive world. Just replace it with one without a steel insert.
Drama/crisis?

There are hundreds of U section seals available in the automotive world. Just replace it with one without a steel insert.
Drama/crisis?
Have you ever seen a T5 - T6.1 roof seal ?

it is not simply a U section as you suggest & a replacement aftermarket is certainly not readily available as you suggest

and yes the faulty seal does cause Drama for those affected by roof corrosion due to the unfit seal rusting and causing roof corrosion.

it’s a bit disingenuous to suggest otherwise!

it is not simply a U section as you suggest & a replacement aftermarket is certainly not readily available as you suggest

and yes the faulty seal does cause Drama for those affected by roof corrosion due to the unfit seal rusting and causing roof corrosion.

I guarantee if it was my problem, I’d have it sorted. Are 90% of problems mostly down to user error/ineptitude? I’m not being cruel here just facing facts.

Yes the seal that goes around the sides and back of the roof maybe, possibly, probably, easy to replicate but the front part absolutely not. If you don’t use the correct profile then you are asking for even more trouble. Even more water ingress than ever before with the standard seal.

I guarantee if it was my problem, I’d have it sorted. Are 90% of problems mostly down to user error/ineptitude? I’m not being cruel here just facing facts.
If you actually knew what you were talking about In this instance I would try to consider your opinion.

Fact: when a brand new roof seal, fitted by a Dealer lasts two weeks before the rust is clearly apparent on the outside of the seal I think the error / ineptitude is not mine.

Fact: you don’t have a vehicle affect by the potential issue.

Fact: you don’t have a clue what your talking about in this instance, I dare say you’ve never seen this type of Roof seal close up enough to appreciate there is more than one profile on the one piece seal.

Fact: VW have been unable or unwilling to resolve this issue since production of the T5 commenced,
(but you could sort it over night ! )

Fact: this issue will affect many many more over a lot of years to come

Fact: this subject doesn’t affect you, so it is of no interest to you, other than you feel it necessary to make flippant & uninformed comments because you can.

Last edited:
Awful lot of assumptions there Perfectos

My sister has such a van. Fact.

Please don’t judge others based on your own limitations

I’m not having a pop at you I’m simply stating this is a very simple problem so the chances are there is a very simple solution.

Fairly sure I’m allowed to comment on whatever I choose.

Chill the f**k out and have a beer, it’s Friday.

I’m not having a pop at you I’m simply stating this is a very simple problem so the chances are there is a very simple solution.

thank you for your input into this subject

Based on your knowledge of your sister Van, can you offer any relevant & coherent suggestions, that may be of assistance to others, particularly as you state that it’s a simple solution you could sort out.

That would be very gracious of you if you would take the time to impart your knowledge of the simple solution that VW have been unable to rectify over the last 15 years despite trying all manner of fixes and spending a fortune trying to prevent the issue, which ultimately alway fail, it would assist the California community massively and benefit of others significantly If you could offer a solution as you suggest is within your capabilities.

Particularly as you mention, in Your over simplified and condescending version, the issue is 90% ineptitude by many of the user over a fifteen year period, who have experienced the problem.
This comment would lead me to think that you have some substance to make your derogatory assumptions of so many people.

it would appear that you may know something that no one else has had the presence of mind to consider anywhere else in the world, despite many many people experiencing this issue in the last fifteen years.

unfortunately you do have not actually offer any information to form the basis to your supposition of user error by so many people Other than so many people must be inept!
inept at what ?

If you would be kind enough to share your wisdom and offer some positive input, to teach others what you appear to know about the issue and more importantly the simple solution To this issue, I’m sure the wider world wide community and VW GMBH in particular would thank you sincerely for your positive input In the quick and decisive resolution of this issue.

I will take your suggestion of a Friday night imbiber or two as I chill out waiting for you to consider the simple solution.

It’s obvious you are a very clever person and everyone else is a bit dim, so can you let others on the forum know exactly where you get these profiles from. Including the one that fits on the front of the van roof.

Back