Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

A Cry For Help.....Looks like I Have a Power Steering Failure

Complaining is normally a complete waste of time, gets you nowhere and often just gets the person you are complaining to offside so they end up helping you less than they could, plus you rarely get chance to complain to anyone that counts or can make a difference. If you feel aggrieved, work out what would be a reasonable compensation, not necessarily money, and politely ask for that.

I made a flight of stairs in oak and had to treat them with woodworm killer, it wouldn't dry and I spent a day stripping the treatment off. I wrote to the manufacturer, told them about the problem, asked for a days pay and got it! Plus they recalled the product and discontinued it so my complaint had obviously gone high enough up the food chain to make a difference.

Our steering in our 2015 SE 180 auto failed at the week end - fortunately at low speed and on a quiet road very close to home). No indication we had a problem and mileage had just ticked up to 10,000.

No fuss with VW assist sorting pick up from home and arranging a courtesy car (Ok it is a T5 panel van which certainly demonstrates the refinement of the Cali!).

Local dealer (we bought the van new from a different dealer) carrying out the work with no fuss - power steering pump, air con pump, alternator, tensioner and belt are all being replaced. Engine itself ok. Glad it happened now as we are away in France in a few weeks time!

Discussion on warranty extension to follow...

The very nice people at VWCS have listened and are helping out.. a complaint is a complaint not a rant.. if they aren't made aware of these issues they will never be addressed.

Last edited by a moderator:
The very nice people at VWCS have listened and are helping out.. a complaint is a complaint not a rant.. if they aren't made aware of these issues they will never be addressed.
That's really good news, did they say if there were going to start a campaign with dealers to bring this to the attention of fitters so they can look out for the symptoms and are they going to take this up with manufacturing so a stronger guard can be implemented between the 2 belts? This should lead to a recall for those affected really..

Hopefully it has raised their awareness a little more to the fact.. I did mention there are a number of frustrated users on this forum..so lets see if they take anyfurther action. Fingers crossed they fix mine and any others this happens to for good..

Hopefully it has raised their awareness a little more to the fact.. I did mention there are a number of frustrated users on this forum..so lets see if they take anyfurther action. Fingers crossed they fix mine and any others this happens to for good..
I spoke with them this week regarding the failure on our Cali - The chap who spoke with me couldn't have been more unhelpful or dismissive sadly. Hey Ho - will speak with others.

Currently awaiting VW assist at a campsite near Le Mans. My 180DSG with 3000 miles on had no power steering when we tried to leave our pitch this morning. So frustrating !

MFD just says (A) Error Start-Stop

At least it's a nice camp site

Can you turn start stop off and see what happens?

Mike

Good luck sounds an easy fix. Dodgey part or fitting, hopefully the repairer will give you a clue.

Mike

Just had a call from VW. Accessory belt had gone, hopefully simple fix. Keeping fingers crossed!
That means either a faulty belt, or there is a problem with the pulleys/tensioners, especially after just 3000 miles. When you get back home I would get it checked out, or at least visually check the new belt on a regular basis.

That means either a faulty belt, or there is a problem with the pulleys/tensioners, especially after just 3000 miles. When you get back home I would get it checked out, or at least visually check the new belt on a regular basis.

Will certainly be having words with VW on return, and having the work done in france double checked by local VW.

As for checking it regularly, would this kind of thing be inspected on a service?

Will certainly be having words with VW on return, and having the work done in france double checked by local VW.

As for checking it regularly, would this kind of thing be inspected on a service?
Should be, but how often do you have it serviced?
On the LongLife Service schedule - very 20,000 miles? How many miles do you do/year?

If it has gone after 3000 miles and was due to a non-belt fault then you could have it go 6 times before the Service and Oil Change.

Similar thing happened to me at the weekend in a rented Cali. The alternator belt failed half way through the Dartford tunnel, steering went heavy and the battery warning light came on. Managed to wrestle the beast to a supermarket carpark - you really miss the power steering once it's not there!

The Cali was an 18 month old 180DSG 4Motion with 12k miles on the clock. VW service guy was very surprised the belt had failed so early, my gut feeling is that it definitely suggests an underlying problem as per earlier posts in this thread.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

From reading other similar topics it would seem you were lucky that the aux belt didn't also take out the cam belt..

ust to add to the record, i have the same issue. Symptoms = Power steering failed whilst driving then noticed the altenator warning light on dash (red).

180 SE 2015 so still in warranty
13k miles

Whilst in Spain. Into dealer (Alicante), they said factory note that tensioners need replacing (as well as belt) plus a protection plate.

Damn. Off to find accomodation and wait 3-4 days for fix.

Thinking about it we had noticed some squeals on engine start up afew weeks ago, probably the belt starting to slip....

Did someone say they got offered extended warranty discount when getting this fixed? How and who should i speak to?

For others having the same experience, following repair, getting in touch with VWCV yielded an offer for 50% refund on extending warranty by 1 year, from 3 to 4.

For others having the same experience, following repair, getting in touch with VWCV yielded an offer for 50% refund on extending warranty by 1 year, from 3 to 4.

Sadly I am bringing this issue up once more. We were one night into half term weeks holiday on Saturday when power steering failed. Luckily on a quiet road and we were driving slowly.
As its bank holiday weekend we ended up in a B&B courtesy of VW Assist and have been recovered back home, courtesy car supplied. Tomorrow we will be knocking on the door of SMG Cowfold to sort out repairs.

Reading this thread I am realising it seems to be a known problem. We have a 65 plate T5, almost at 19000 miles. The AA mechanic pointed out that the pulleys are not in alignment, which seems to have been the cause. It has ruined our weeks holiday though, so it seems that is something to take up with VW customer service once its is sorted.

Sadly I am bringing this issue up once more. We were one night into half term weeks holiday on Saturday when power steering failed. Luckily on a quiet road and we were driving slowly.
As its bank holiday weekend we ended up in a B&B courtesy of VW Assist and have been recovered back home, courtesy car supplied. Tomorrow we will be knocking on the door of SMG Cowfold to sort out repairs.

Reading this thread I am realising it seems to be a known problem. We have a 65 plate T5, almost at 19000 miles. The AA mechanic pointed out that the pulleys are not in alignment, which seems to have been the cause. It has ruined our weeks holiday though, so it seems that is something to take up with VW customer service once its is sorted.
Sorry to hear this. In an attempt to say something positive, SMG is my local dealer and, as you may already know, they do seem to offer great service. Good luck.

Cant be looked at until next week, so half term holiday is now at home... reviewing our plans to keep the Cali long term. We havent been affected by roof corrosion as yet, but losing a bit of faith.

And I too have my story. In the South of France two weeks ago it happened to me. VW assist were very good. A mechanic arrived and pulled a completely shredded belt out of the engine compartment. After spending the weekend on the Aire I was pulling into when it went, I was towed into VW Arles. and put in a hotel. The next day I collected the van. The mechanic said the belt failed because I had driven over a rock or pothole and damaged the belt. He showed me the scars on the plastic protector under the engine. I haven't hit any rocks or potholes but the van was 18 months old when I bought it a few months ago so the previous owner might have. Therefore, they wouldn't repair under warranty and it cost me 330 euros. He said it's all good now and it's been fine since. Now I wonder whether I have a problem.

Back