Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

A Cry For Help.....Looks like I Have a Power Steering Failure

Loz, to your knowledge have we had any T6 with this problem. I can't see one?
From a cursory glance, they all seem to be T5s, 2015 registered, 140's.

You'll having a Cam belt soon then, make sure they also fit a new Aux belt at the same time.

140,000 miles or 4 years whichever comes sooner.
For high dust countries the 140,0000 is reduced to 80,000
There's no visual check on the list except in high dust countries (25,000 and every two years)

Yes, next year + water pump and belts.

140,000 miles or 4 years whichever comes sooner.
For high dust countries the 140,0000 is reduced to 80,000
There's no visual check on the list except in high dust countries (25,000 and every two years)

Yes, next year + water pump and belts.
I just love these scary service intervals... 2 years or 50K max for me regardless..

I just love these scary service intervals... 2 years or 50K max for me regardless..
Not that scary, it's a commercial vehicle after all, and as such frequently done at the mileage limit, before the time interval. I think it is more dangerous NOT using it and leaving it idle under tension for months at a time. :thumb
Something that doesn't happen with mine.

It appears it's generally the tensioner that goes and chucks the belt off so you need one of those as well Loz. Oh and apparently it needs a special tool to get it on/off. Just love VW

It appears it's generally the tensioner that goes and chucks the belt off so you need one of those as well Loz. Oh and apparently it needs a special tool to get it on/off. Just love VW
Not sure l've got room for a VW technician as well.... :)

modern alternators have a clutch inside the driving wheel to give a smoother engine allowing the alternator to freewheel when throttling off. I recall on my golf this was recommended to be renewed after so many miles. I would replace the clutch pulley and belt tensioner as both these cause belts to be thrown off when failing

Happened to me at 5,000 and 15,000 miles. Aux belt broke both times. Second fix in France included a belt change plus, alternator pulley, and belt tensioner. There is a new guard now fixed to stop debris impacting the belt. Really sorry to hear your news.

And so it goes on. Today, a few weeks and around 1,000 mile on from my Provencal adventure (post #73 above), the belt went again. Luckily, I was a couple of miles from Breeze in Poole so I limped on to there, parked it in their car park and told them my tale. Fortunately I still had the paperwork from VW Arles in the van so they could see what had been done. The service manager there did know there had been some advisories issued about the auxiliary belt so the ball is now in their court. My personal view is that VW California ownership is beginning to lose its lustre. If I can't wander the highways and byways without wandering when it's going to go ping again I don't want it. The trouble is, I really like it. I'll see what their investigation throws up.

And so it goes on. Today, a few weeks and around 1,000 mile on from my Provencal adventure (post #73 above), the belt went again. Luckily, I was a couple of miles from Breeze in Poole so I limped on to there, parked it in their car park and told them my tale. Fortunately I still had the paperwork from VW Arles in the van so they could see what had been done. The service manager there did know there had been some advisories issued about the auxiliary belt so the ball is now in their court. My personal view is that VW California ownership is beginning to lose its lustre. If I can't wander the highways and byways without wandering when it's going to go ping again I don't want it. The trouble is, I really like it. I'll see what their investigation throws up.

UPDATE

Got my van back today. Breeze Poole have been very good. They knew about a technical briefing on this fault and have fitted an adapted parts kit which should eliminate the problem. They were sure it's all fine now, Time will tell

Hmm, second belt fail here too. It went again 3 weeks after the first time. Back to SMG cowfold now, waiting for update.
On the plus side, VW Assist gave me a replacement T6 Cali, so that helps.

Hmm, second belt fail here too. It went again 3 weeks after the first time. Back to SMG cowfold now, waiting for update.
On the plus side, VW Assist gave me a replacement T6 Cali, so that helps.
#
Point them to TPi 2027582/3. It is the technical briefing note describing the fault and the solution.

They delivered a very nice Tiguan to me just in time for me to drive it to Poole and pick up my van.

Just spoken to SMG. They followed that briefing last time so are confused as to why it happened again. It is being stripped down just now, so we will wait to hear.

I have had the same issue now 3 times - and been given different answers every time. It has ruined 1 weekend away and cost a week each time for two big road trips (the last time on a island in Croatia) - I have no faith in the vehicle now is just a year old. Has anyone had any luck pushing just for their money back? I am currently considering litigation to try and get some of my out of pocket losses back as well as show the van is simply not fit for purpose.

Guess additional questions:

1) Does anyone have direct contact details for VW head office person who actually can give answers?

2) Has anyone got recommendation for third party experts who could compile technical report for litigation potentially?

Any help much appreciated this whole experience has been an expensive disaster.

Oh, really losing the faith now. Our second failure was identical to the first, with no apparent reason either time. I have no confidence that it wont happen again. I only hope we arent doing 70mph at the time.
We have planned to drive to Slovenia this August which worries me greatly. Yes, we would have VW assist and be given a replacement car, but thats not a great help when you are living in the van....
It seems that if this problem affects your van, it wont go away.... I doubt we will keep the van past September now.

Oh, really losing the faith now. Our second failure was identical to the first, with no apparent reason either time. I have no confidence that it wont happen again. I only hope we arent doing 70mph at the time.
We have planned to drive to Slovenia this August which worries me greatly. Yes, we would have VW assist and be given a replacement car, but thats not a great help when you are living in the van....
It seems that if this problem affects your van, it wont go away.... I doubt we will keep the van past September now.
Pretty much my position. I go on very long road trips and whatever VW assistance offer it never comes close to actually what it costs when these things happen. Everyone understand that issues happen but when they repeat and then you get outright lied to by VW and never a satisfactory and/or conflicting explanations - you’re left with little choice but to try and get your money back and move on. I’m planning to litigate fairly immediately if I don’t get a decent response this time so will post to the group how the proceedings go.

Me too. I plan on setting off next week for a few weeks. Now I'm worried that I will get a repeat performance. Tanya, have SMG given you an answer?

Me too. I plan on setting off next week for a few weeks. Now I'm worried that I will get a repeat performance. Tanya, have SMG given you an answer?
not only have they not identified what went wrong but it has just happened AGAIN
we managed to limp back to the campsite and will be recovered home tomorrow. back to smg on Monday.. ..

we are looking at rejecting the vehicle under Consumer Rights Act 2015.

Oh Tanya! That is terrible. I'm about to set off next week for a couple of weeks touring and I know I'm going to be on tenterhooks all the time I am moving. Please keep in touch with what happens.

I have just had the tensioner and belt replaced under a recall notice. VW are aware of the issue and are putting it right. 2015 140 Beach.

Back