Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

A report from Autostadt and the way there.

calibusje

calibusje

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
As promised, a report from Autostadt and the way there.
First of all: it is relatively impressive how beautifully everything is made, how well maintained and friendly they are there. Then: it's logically mainly aimed at car enthusiasts, nothing else is there or it should be the eateries (which are delicious by the way) and the park landscape. And for the children a very cool indoor play park. The pavilions outside: during our visit, the Audi one was not open due to renovations. There was melting snow and icy wind so we didn't visit some pavilions but visited the commercial vehicles and leisure pavillion and Porsche and Bugatti. The pavilions are sometimes architectural arts. Then the ZeitHaus Museum: again immaculate and captivating. Not only Volkswagens, also very special ones from other brands (for example: a Cisitalia). There are two 60 m high glass towers that are used as a warehouse for new Volkswagens. They're connected to the VW factory by a 700 m long tunnel. German customers can choose to pick up their car in Wolfsburg (500 cars a day!). It's a spectacle to see.
A little further, down the Dieselstrasse (5 min by car) there is another interesting museum: Stiftung AutoMuseum Volkswagen and that is a hidden gem: prototypes and special Volkswagens. What you see there will stay with you as a car enthusiast.
The way there: we left home, from Bruges and drove via Utrecht (Miffy/Miffy museum) and Oberhausen (Lego Discovery Centre) and then through the Teutoburg forest (visited the Externsteine and the Hermannsdenkmal). A beautiful region. And then: the VW Californiafertigung (California production) at Hannover-Limmer. There are already some who visited it, but then we couldn't come along, which is a pity because both the individual visits and those in groups are no longer taking place and probably will not take place anymore. Before we left I had sent an email and received this answer aswel as from three mechanics I talked to. This problably because of the imminent end of the california as we know it now. They hoped the next generation califoria, based on the next transporter T7 (not the t7 mulitvan as there is now) will be built with them. I hope so with them. They will have to come from Turkey as an empty van, with a temporary roof on it which is possible of course.
Anyway: You can spend the night at Autostadt in a special lot of the parking for campers, but we were just too late to enter that due to traffic jam. No problem: we were allowed to choose a place in the spacious car parks and received a 'leave the car park without paying' card the next day. It wasn't very quiet to sleep, lots of activity around the parking lots but that's the way it is.
Another thing about the motorways in Germany: stick to the specified speeds: if it says 130, don't drive any faster, if it says 100 (due to heavy rain, like we had), stick to it. If there is nothing stated on the many automatic signs on the motorway: watch out because they will overtake you at way over 200 km/h.
It was again a great trip with our now 11 months old coast. I hope it was fun to read and maybe it inspires others to go too. The california is a suitable vehicle for it.
Greetings
Calibusje
332463872_3453602411587837_2202721606749609261_n (1).jpg
An impression of the museum in Autostadt and the Stiftung Automuseum. I don't have many outdoor photos due to the weather conditions and there must still be something of a surprise, right ;)

Last edited:
Any idea when the Audi section will reopen? I really want to see that too when I go. What was the cutoff time to get into the reserved camper van car park?

Sounds like you could really spend a good day and a half there and still have plenty to do, see and eat.
Nice writeup which has whet my appetite.

Any idea when the Audi section will reopen? I really want to see that too when I go. What was the cutoff time to get into the reserved camper van car park?
According to the website 5 pm, but until 6:30 pm or 7:30 pm (don't remember exactly) someone is in the main counter of the car parks. And we were there even later. I have no idea when the Audi pavilion will open again. Maybe you can find it on the internet or send an email.

Sounds like you could really spend a good day and a half there and still have plenty to do, see and eat.
Nice writeup which has whet my appetite.
My pleasure. Yes, you can spend a good day or even more at Autostadt

Last edited:
I also bought some Originalteil 199.398.500 A: the currywurst, best-selling item of the Volkswagen Group.
CDEF69E9-77B9-4249-8976-B57879D74A46.jpeg

In Hanover there is also a bulli museum/ exhibition, but this is being converted; you can still watch a short film, but this is it for now. I definitely want to visit this but it will be for another time. A reason to drive there again and who knows, the factory can still be visited? One can only hope. How do I know? Another example of how helpful they are in Autostadt: I mentioned the sticker of 'Oldtimer VW Nutzfahrzeuge' on the T3 westfalia and they suggested to call if there is still a visit possible (we could do this on Saturday but it didn't happen).
Which can't go on for us either: The VW Bus Festival that will take place from June 23 to 25, 2023
VWN-Oldtimer-Fahrzeugsammlung-fotoshowBig-efa782cf-67895.jpg

Heading to the Autostadt in Wolfsburg next weekend. One night wild camping and one night in the 9 euro per night VW parkup facility. I'll check in when it opens at 12 noon.
Currywurst here I come.......

In Hanover there is also a bulli museum/ exhibition, but this is being converted; you can still watch a short film, but this is it for now. I definitely want to visit this but it will be for another time. A reason to drive there again and who knows, the factory can still be visited? One can only hope. How do I know? Another example of how helpful they are in Autostadt: I mentioned the sticker of 'Oldtimer VW Nutzfahrzeuge' on the T3 westfalia and they suggested to call if there is still a visit possible (we could do this on Saturday but it didn't happen).
Which can't go on for us either: The VW Bus Festival that will take place from June 23 to 25, 2023
View attachment 105378
Did you visit the VW Californiafertigung in Hannover? I seem to remember a picture taken outside. Is it open for ad hoc visits by the public or is an appointment necessary?

@Corradobrit Sorry I didn’t see your posts;
When we arrived at Autostadt, the designated parking lot for campers was closed with a barrier, but the parking guard allowed us to park in the normal parking lot.

- Have you visited the VW California Fertigung in Hanover? no, not possible anymore. Probably not again until the next california t7. When we were there, they were even worried about whether their factory was going to build the successor, but in the meantime this seems to be the case.
- I seem to remember a photo taken outside. Right: it was raining and it was dark: unfortunately I couldn't take many and sharp photos. You are approached directly by employees there and although they are friendly (I was able to ask some questions and have a chat with some of them) they still ask you to leave and visit the museum instead; there is another department in Hannover where there is a museum, but after looking it up, it turned out to be closed at the moment; maybe you're more lucky: it should be small but nice. We did visit the museum at Autostadt and Stiftung Automuseum volkswagen.
- Is it open for ad hoc visits by the public or is an appointment necessary? No longer possible when we were there.

Have fun!

Last edited:
Back