Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

A salutary lesson about Camping Gaz

Have you thought about using one of these. http://www.brandrup.de/en/brandrup-products/volkswagen-accessories/vw-vehicle-interior/vw-air-safe/ I've seen them advertised a lot.

An alarm: http://www.***************.com/prod...-1-gas-alarm-detects-lpg-co-and-narcotic-gas/

Over here in NZ, camper vans need to be gas compliant with a locker that drains any leaking gas outside the camper van.

I've got a Beach with a kitchen pod, I use the cooker with the gas bottle on the ground outside the sliding window to be compliant. The bottle also lives outside at night. Travelling with the bottle in the boot is okay and they are probably less likely to leak as they have a companion valve, the regulator is separate. Gas cylinders are dated and can't be refilled if more than 10 years old.

Andy

Last edited:
Hi Alan,

I use a 904 cylinder for cooking outside and a 907 cylinder in the water tank locker. I travel with the 904 in the boot of the van but would always leave it outside when sleeping just to be sure.

We have had gaz bottles leak when disconnected and had to poke the ball bearing to get it to seal. However the bottles are designed with belt and braces. Butane at room temp is only about 32psi and so if the washer on the carry handle is not damaged or cracked and it is screwed on firmly this should easily stop any gas escaping even if the ball bearing seal failed. So in theory it should be fine left in the boot when sleeping- but I just feel better with it outside.

The 907 has drop vent and the vw regulator has an over pressure safety cutoff (normal camping regulators should not be used in a van) so I sleep comfortably with that bottle in the van :)

Ian
Informative post but what do you mean by your comment " Butane at room temp is only about 32psi ........."

Informative post but what do you mean by your comment " Butane at room temp is only about 32psi ........."
Butane at 38c Temperature can be returned to its liquid state by being pressurized to 2.5 atmospheric pressure, about 37 psi, and at 1c temperature at atmospheric pressure, about 15 psi.
So between ambient temperatures of 10 / 30c the gas pressure above the liquid butane in a cylinder varies between 20 to 30 psi, with a maximum determined by the cylinder regulator.

Have you thought about using one of these. http://www.brandrup.de/en/brandrup-products/volkswagen-accessories/vw-vehicle-interior/vw-air-safe/ I've seen them advertised a lot.

An alarm: http://www.***************.com/prod...-1-gas-alarm-detects-lpg-co-and-narcotic-gas/

Over here in NZ, camper vans need to be gas compliant with a locker that drains any leaking gas outside the camper van.

I've got a Beach with a kitchen pod, I use the cooker with the gas bottle on the ground outside the sliding window to be compliant. The bottle also lives outside at night. Travelling with the bottle in the boot is okay and they are probably less likely to leak as they have a companion valve, the regulator is separate. Gas cylinders are dated and can't be refilled if more than 10 years old.

Andy
Admin - I've posted a link to a safety device. Please explain why it has been blocked - I didn't realise that this was a commercial site and http://+++++++++++++++++++++++/ was a rival site that you are blocking.

I thought my subscription was to cover the costs of running this site as a resource for all California owners and somewhat surprised you are blocking items I have recommended.

Any chance you could supply a list of blacklisted sites so members can avoid this in future and avoid links to sites you have blacklisted?

Andy

Butane at 38c Temperature can be returned to its liquid state by being pressurized to 2.5 atmospheric pressure, about 37 psi, and at 1c temperature at atmospheric pressure, about 15 psi.
So between ambient temperatures of 10 / 30c the gas pressure above the liquid butane in a cylinder varies between 20 to 30 psi, with a maximum determined by the cylinder regulator.
Thanks WG.

I think it was it was before my time as a moderator but I can guess which website it is as I don't think there is much of blacklist. I recall reading that there was some issues with unfulfilled orders in the past but others may know more.

Alternative link here: http://www.kiravans.co.uk/3-in-1-gas-safety-alarm

Thanks Matt, I couldn't understand why the Brandrup site was okay and not the other one. Now I know, hopefully customer service has improved.

Andy

Hi Alan,

My thoughts are:

The over pressure safety device only works when the regulator is left on and the regulator fails and allows high pressure gas to pass. So in the van where a regulator may be left switched on at night or for extended periods this is an important safety feature. For use outside and then being turned off after each use a normal regulator is fine.

I understand why you would not want to keep taking a regulator on and off the thread. However I personally always replace the carry handle on my portable 904 bottle before it goes back in the van as I feel this gives double protection. A regulator will keep the ball bearing valve open and if the regulator tap is not tight or the regulator is not tight ( could get knocked putting in box or whilst driving) you may get a leak. If the carry handle got knocked lose the ball valve should be shut anyway (albeit that it may not seal perfectly as per the lesson that started the thread).

Hope this helps :)

Ian
We have always done exactly the same, using the handle screwed down well expecting the valve and rubber washer to seal the bottle effectively. Particularly as the ball valve is not opened by the handle, as you suggest, except this time it didn't and this technique didn't work.

Since then we have been much more careful about this bottle (leaving it outside at night) and switching off the hobb too, which we invariable left on over night.

A lesson well learnt.

Alan